Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM

474 posts, read 495,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
That is a good point. I don't live in a dangerous place, but more and more muggings and robbing are taking place (on school campus) and it has gotten to be ridiculous to the point where I will avoid walking late at night on my own.

So true! My ex always boasted about his height and I had to remind him that height doesn't mean anything if the shorter opponent is faster and stronger (more muscular) than him. But height can be intimidating, and it is the intimidating factor I find attractive.
As I said it gives an illusion of having power, but it's pretty easy to see through it in real life. However, most women would rather go by the illusionary effect of things than look at them from a practical standpoint, so it's no surprise that the height of the man ranks first among a woman's requirement of things or most women if not all.

Thanks for confirming it though, while it's something men have always known it feels good to here how much male height is worshipped among women coming from the women themselves. As I said earlier, it doesn't however mean anything to me though since I have gone beyond those things a long while ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
Yes I agree that height can give an initial sense of intimidation, I am like 5'8" so I am not a tall guy however I have never been intimidated by a taller guy because I am into muay thai and kickboxing myself, so I know that if the situation demands me to swing into action, I can. That sense of confidence gives you a calm assurance and your height stops being a factor, you would realize when you get a little older that the only men who brag about their height like your ex did are the ones that are insecure about their height, in your ex's case he knew it didn't give him any distinct advantage but he bragged about it anyway since there's nothing else about him that gave him an edge over the others. Pretty sad if you ask me.
That is very true. Not to stereotype, but there are plenty of Asian fighters (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan) that aren't really tall, but they are very fast and can defend themselves and their wives if they have to. Not saying I couldn't defend myself, but I'm not a very tall and I have toothpick arms.

I also agree that it is sad that he did use his height as a crutch. He took pride in being tall, but tbh, being tall is all he really had going for him looks wise and among other things.

I also want to make it clear that if I did find a shorter man (5'7+) who met my other standards (education, employment, no baby mama drama) I would give him a chance. I have dated men who were your height and it didn't bother me. However, I did date a guy who was my height (maybe a little shorter), and I'm ashamed to admit that the small stature was off putting.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM

55 posts, read 77,373 times
Quote:
So height doesn't necessarily offer a woman the protection she's looking for in real life, it's just an illusion.
This goes back to what I said earlier as far as why WEIGHT is a more pressing issue than HEIGHT.

The protector factor of HEIGHT is a social psychology issue. Why do people eschew sedans for SUVS, when SUVs are more expensive to maintain, less safe than a sedan, and the extra space available in an SUV is often not even used? Because of post-modern psychology that bigger means better.

Nope, bigger does not mean better.

I don't woo big women.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,733 times
Quote:
As I said it gives an illusion of having power, but it's pretty easy to see through it in real life. However, most women would rather go by the illusionary effect of things than look at them from a practical standpoint, so it's no surprise that the height of the man ranks first among a woman's requirement of things or most women if not all.

Thanks for confirming it though, while it's something men have always known it feels good to here how much male height is worshipped among women coming from the women themselves. As I said earlier, it doesn't however mean anything to me though since I have gone beyond those things a long while ago.
"Illusion" is probably the correct word, however, I have heard of studies that state that taller men are usually picked for leadership roles. The average CEO is around 6 foot tall and there seems to be a positive correlation between a man's height and his salary. That isn't to say that there aren't any short CEOs/high-earners, just that a shorter man is more likely to be overlooked.

I remember several years ago watching a TV special about parents spending thousands of dollars to make their kids taller. One couple spent over 50k to make their son, who was projected to grow to 5'7'', grow to 5'9''.

It is sad, and I admit that I do perpetuate this by having a taller man preference, but tall men having always had a slight advantage over their shorter counterparts.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisciplesOfTheWatch View Post
This goes back to what I said earlier as far as why WEIGHT is a more pressing issue than HEIGHT.

The protector factor of HEIGHT is a social psychology issue. Why do people eschew sedans for SUVS, when SUVs are more expensive to maintain, less safe than a Sedan, and the extra space available in an SUV is often not even used? Because of post-modern psychology that bigger means better.

Nope, bigger does not mean better.

I don't woo big women.
Apples to oranges comparison dude, I would go for an SUV even though it's more expensive to maintain because most of them are 4*4's giving a better grip on the road esp. in the New England snowy winters, are easier to commute long distances on, are less tiring on my back, etc etc. Bigger isn't necessarily better though, I agree, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
"Illusion" is probably the correct word, however, I have heard of studies that state that taller men are usually picked for leadership roles. The average CEO is around 6 foot tall and there seems to be a positive correlation between a man's height and his salary. That isn't to say that there aren't any short CEOs/high-earners, just that a shorter man is more likely to be overlooked.

I remember several years ago watching a TV special about parents spending thousands of dollars to make their kids taller. One couple spent over 50k to make their son, who was projected to grow to 5'7'', grow to 5'9''.

It is sad, and I admit that I do perpetuate this by having a taller man preference, but tall men having always had a slight advantage over their shorter counterparts.
It's absolutely true, however most of the world today is run by shorter men, look around at the statures of people like Nicholas Sarkozy, Vladimir Putin, Manmohan Singh, Hu Jintao etc etc and you would find that they are all short men, however they have been picked for leadership roles. I do remember the study you mentioned, however I don't really see that to an extent to which they make it seem even at the work place. My current manager is a 5'6" wiry guy but then it's not anyone overlooks him, if at all he gains the most respect amongst all the line managers.

Since most women would rather pick someone tall over someone short and since height ranks as the number one requirement of almost all women, the parents of that boy had to go to such an extent. Tall men have had a HUGE advantage over the shorter men always, in fact you could be tall and be a jerk and you would still do great with women, even though you may not agree with it, you would rather date a jerk who's tall than date a secure, confident shorter man. It's quite typical of most women's requirements.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
That is very true. Not to stereotype, but there are plenty of Asian fighters (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan) that aren't really tall, but they are very fast and can defend themselves and their wives if they have to. Not saying I couldn't defend myself, but I'm not a very tall and I have toothpick arms.

I also agree that it is sad that he did use his height as a crutch. He took pride in being tall, but tbh, being tall is all he really had going for him looks wise and among other things.

I also want to make it clear that if I did find a shorter man (5'7+) who met my other standards (education, employment, no baby mama drama) I would give him a chance. I have dated men who were your height and it didn't bother me. However, I did date a guy who was my height (maybe a little shorter), and I'm ashamed to admit that the small stature was off putting.
Being tall isn't something he worked for, right? Taking pride in things like height, racial background etc etc are so passe since any fool can do that, taking pride in things that you have achieved personally like your success at the workplace, education etc etc makes much more sense and seems more logical.

however, most women would rather be lead by illusionary things than things of substance, I am not blaming anyone here that's just the nature of senses, so that's how it would always be.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM

143 posts, read 540,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Ok I figured I would post on here because I find women and the whole height issue to be ridiculous. I was watching a show on tv yesterday called the Millionaire Club where Millionaires are looking for love and the dating agency was interviewing women to see if they would date this guy. Now the guy was 5'8" (average for a man) and most women did not want to date him because he is average height. Are women really this shallow? I'm 5'8" myself and I find it disturbing that women wouldn't want to date a guy who is an overall great catch but isn't 6' tall. Are you telling me a woman would rather date a guy who is 6' tall and a complete scumbag over a great guy who is a few inches shorter. I think it comes down to low self esteem. I think women who will only date tall men are really lacking in self esteem and are completely shallow. Any other opinions?
There are a lot of women over 200 pounds who are great - friendly, loving, smart, creative, blah, blah, blah . . . And they are alone every night.

Men are just as shallow as women. Being a short man or an overweight woman is tough in the dating market. And don't even get me started on being "too old".

Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug11768 View Post
There are a lot of women over 200 pounds who are great - friendly, loving, smart, creative, blah, blah, blah . . . And they are alone every night.

Men are just as shallow as women. Being a short man or an overweight woman is tough in the dating market. And don't even get me started on being "too old".
Anyone can be shallow, doesn't matter your height and weight. It happens. There are some overweight women who won't date short men, just as there men who won't date women of a certain weight or height.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Yes it would be for me. I would say 5'11 is pushing it but doable. Really prefer 6'0 and up since I am already 5'7 and a half. IMO this is no different than men that say they don't like overweight women or w/e it is they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships