Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:36 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times

Advertisements

Maybe it’ll help. But I think it’ll help even more if you knew they weren’t being paid to enjoy your company.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:58 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Here is a random thought*. Go to your nearest church, look for their church calendar and see if they are having any sort of bake sale or public supper to support something. Attend that event. At that event look around and find an elderly church lady sitting by herself. Pour her a cup of coffee, sit down and tell her your story. Within 2 days women will be calling you to arrange at least 4 blind dates. Now if you followed this, and honestly told the elderly woman, about your troubles, then you can be sure that the mothers of these dates will have prepped these girls. Just be nice and they will guide you through the process.

* - I have seen this story played out one time. A man that was working for me, told his landlady all about his girl problems. The landlady reached out to the church women and within a week he was swimming in it.
Different experience here -- finding available women in a church setting is virtually impossible, IME (I tried faithfully attending religious services every week for a year, as well as the weekly after-service, singles-groups bible studies and lunch social events afterwards and other planned church social events...needless to say and for a multitude of reasons, it didn't work). Although I didn't approach any elderly female churchgoers as suggested in the post above, the church leadership was also aware of my situation, and they could have cared less. Idk, maybe it's just a geographical thing, with different results in different regions such as the Mid-West or the South...lots of ultra-Type-A people where I'm at...

Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Maybe it’ll help. But I think it’ll help even more if you knew they weren’t being paid to enjoy your company.
This is the part I don't get. How can it RAISE one's confidence to know the person you're with is only anywhere near you because she has to pay her bills, and really she's just hoping it's all over with quickly?

Old 07-08-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix2017 View Post
Different experience here -- finding available women in a church setting is virtually impossible, IME (I tried faithfully attending religious services every week for a year, as well the weekly after-service, singles-groups bible studies and lunch social events afterwards...needless to say and for a multitude of reasons, it didn't work). Although I didn't approach any elderly female churchgoers as suggested in the post above, the church leadership was also aware of my situation, which was similar in many respects to the OP's, and they could have cared less. Idk, maybe it's just a geographical thing, with different results in different regions such as the Mid-West or the South...lots of ultra-Type-A people where I'm at...
Well, because they're a church, not a dating service.

People, SOME of this is up to you. You can't just order a granny (who isn't even a family member or actual friend...you're just using her) to find you a wife. The example given was in a whole different culture. Befriending an old lady and having her materialize legions of prospective wives to "cook for you" in a Best Future Wife Competition - and you a total stranger, BTW - just isn't realistic in the U.S.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, because they're a church, not a dating service.

People, SOME of this is up to you. You can't just order a granny (who isn't even a family member or actual friend...you're just using her) to find you a wife. The example given was in a whole different culture. Befriending an old lady and having her materialize legions of prospective wives to "cook for you" in a Best Future Wife Competition - and you a total stranger, BTW - just isn't realistic in the U.S.
Referring to bolded/underlined portion above: for me, it wasn't just about finding a wife by any measure; the religious component was also very important to me. If you notice the highlighted/quoted portions below in my post, where I mentioned that I faithfully attended religious services for a year, including bible study every week, etc., etc.

Quote:
Different experience here -- finding available women in a church setting is virtually impossible, IME (I tried faithfully attending religious services every week for a year, as well the weekly after-service, singles-groups bible studies and lunch social events afterwards...needless to say and for a multitude of reasons, it didn't work). Although I didn't approach any elderly female churchgoers as suggested in the post above, the church leadership was also aware of my situation, which was similar in many respects to the OP's, and they could have cared less. Idk, maybe it's just a geographical thing, with different results in different regions such as the Mid-West or the South...lots of ultra-Type-A people where I'm at...

Old 07-08-2018, 08:11 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Different experience here -- finding available women in a church setting is virtually impossible, IME (I tried faithfully attending religious services every week for a year, as well as the weekly after-service, singles-groups bible studies and lunch social events afterwards and other planned church social events...needless to say and for a multitude of reasons, it didn't work). Although I didn't approach any elderly female churchgoers as suggested in the post above, the church leadership was also aware of my situation, and they could have cared less. Idk, maybe it's just a geographical thing, with different results in different regions such as the Mid-West or the South...lots of ultra-Type-A people where I'm at...
On my first boat, I learned to side up to the Mormons, at every command where I was stationed there were always a few Mormons. In their vocabulary, they have a local 'ward', that will have a social calendar for each month. They have singles nights every week.

I have served with some seriously social-awkward guys. But I have never known any guy who was so awkward that they did not hit it off well at one of those Mormon singles nights.

I was raised Baptist, Baptist church ladies will go to great lengths to bring out their daughters to meet eligible men.

My parents were divorced when I was a teenager. My father in his 60s and 70s was often bragging about Baptist and Methodist church ladies, and how they went after the men.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Referring to bolded/underlined portion above: for me, it wasn't just about finding a wife by any measure; the religious component was also very important to me. If you notice the highlighted/quoted portions below in my post, where I mentioned that I faithfully attended religious services for a year, including bible study every week, etc., etc.
Yes. But your complaint was that the church "couldn't care less" that you couldn't find a girlfriend. And come on, what did you expect them to do? Offer up a virgin?

They're a church. They provide guidance and an ear but no, they're not going to go wife hunting through the congregation for you.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes. But your complaint was that the church "couldn't care less" that you couldn't find a girlfriend. And come on, what did you expect them to do? Offer up a virgin?

They're a church. They provide guidance and an ear but no, they're not going to go wife hunting through the congregation for you.
As far as I am best aware, one of the intended purposes of the religious singles group activities I attended, in addition to the religious component, was to provide an environment for which like-minded religious people of the opposite gender could find romantic matches (it was after all, modeled and structured as a singles group and as a series of singles group activities). My circumstances were somewhat different in that I had faced certain challenges that may not be very commonly-occurring, such as some physical ability challenges and some other issues (I won't go into the specific details here for privacy reasons)...the church leadership was aware of these personal challenges, and had in fact had specifically reached out to me themselves about them, and had initially seemed empathetic, etc. It's kind of a complicated situation...I won't discuss further here because of online privacy concerns though.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I was raised Baptist, Baptist church ladies will go to great lengths to bring out their daughters to meet eligible men.

"Hey Betty Sue, this is Grandma. I need you to come to church with me next Sunday. This socially awkward guy sat next to me. He is so desperate to find a woman that he approached me out of the blue to set him up. So naturally I thought of you."

Old 07-08-2018, 08:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
As far as I am best aware, one of the intended purposes of the religious singles group activities I attended, in addition to the religious component, was to provide an environment for which like-minded religious people of the opposite gender could find romantic matches...
They "provide the environment." They can't guarantee results.

And honestly, the "environment" isn't to produce a romantic match. It's to give you peers in a common life situation with which you can socialize or "fellowship." Any romance that may develop is a side effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships