Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:44 AM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think that everyone wants a person with a sense of purpose. For many that purpose is success at work. Somthat may factor into the decision making. Our culture wants work to be someone’s sense of purpose as well, that Puritan work ethic. So when we see someone in a job with limited growth opportunity, we don’t know what to do. Because we do not know their purpose.
Then there just the fact that it's too damn expensive anymore, at least in So Cal and 12 bucks an hour just ain't cutting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 03:21 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Yeah, this exactly... I've noticed that those with a long list of requirements generally stay single for that reason. If you are really thirsty you will drink from a garden hose rather than turn it down because it's not bottled water.
My choice ended up being way better than bottled water, better than I could ever have imagined in my wildest dreams.

Those who hunt for the perfect diamond never find it, because they already are certain that THEY know what it should look like.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:52 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
If you're over 40 and flipping burgers at McDonalds, you've made a lot of really poor life decisions, assuming of course that you're not cognitively disabled.
Or you made some really good ones; at 40 you just need to work at minimum wage to get by

Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM

777 posts, read 452,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think that everyone wants a person with a sense of purpose. For many that purpose is success at work. Somthat may factor into the decision making. Our culture wants work to be someone’s sense of purpose as well, that Puritan work ethic. So when we see someone in a job with limited growth opportunity, we don’t know what to do. Because we do not know their purpose.
So sorry.... but this just reminded me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJA6WRpvlg

Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM

19 posts, read 11,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
When it comes to finding a woman your age, how important is it that she has a good job/career? By that I mean, say you were single and met a woman that was pretty, in good shape, fun to be around, nice etc. however say she had never gotten a college education and was working at some very menial job, say burger flipper at McDonald's or the like. Would you be okay with it, or would it be a deal breaker?
I'm at an age where such requirements are rather pointless. I'd prefer a woman who was intelligent and articulate regardless of formal education. As far as the job goes, it would be more important to what her finances were like... I'm not wealthy myself, but I have what I need. I'd limit my choices to potential mates who have their own... I could not afford to take financial care for another person without negatively affecting my own life.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
When it comes to finding a woman your age, how important is it that she has a good job/career? By that I mean, say you were single and met a woman that was pretty, in good shape, fun to be around, nice etc. however say she had never gotten a college education and was working at some very menial job, say burger flipper at McDonald's or the like. Would you be okay with it, or would it be a deal breaker?
I can see one thing that I have to contribute to this topic and it's this: retirement planning. You are asking men 40+ and that's maybe 26 years from retirement, and if you're single and 40+ it's going to come to you one day soon that you'll find yourself too old to work (not because you can't work, the harsh truth is that employers don't want seniors).

I'm a senior and retiring this year, I have a nice house but there's just one problem. I don't have anybody to enjoy it with.

I did well in my retirement planning, I have enough saved for the international travel I've always wanted. But... How would that work if I hooked up with a nice lady who has no savings, no house, maybe didn't work enough quarters to get Social Security, or her SS is trivial...

I have quite enough to welcome her into my home (already paid off), and yeah of course I could feed two people, but if she has no money how will we be able to enjoy the foreign travel I always wanted in my retirement?

My ideal is that she would be able to at least pay half the utilities, half the food, pay for her own car and personal stuff, and split the cost of our international travel.

I have maybe enough wealth to support possibly 1-1/4 people but I can't pay for both of us. She has to contribute something to the deal or we are stuck at home for the rest of our lives. It's a nice home but I want to see the world!

I can't afford to fall in love with a hamburger flipper.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyfacetomatonose View Post
Extremely important that she has an established career and on track to be financially independent/retired by at least 50.
At "least" 50?

So, like 67? Or 93?

Old 07-15-2018, 11:15 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
At "least" 50?

So, like 67? Or 93?
That posters wasn't really being viable at that point. Hyperbole much?????

Old 07-17-2018, 09:05 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,324,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasketeer View Post
I'm at an age where such requirements are rather pointless. I'd prefer a woman who was intelligent and articulate regardless of formal education. As far as the job goes, it would be more important to what her finances were like... I'm not wealthy myself, but I have what I need. I'd limit my choices to potential mates who have their own... I could not afford to take financial care for another person without negatively affecting my own life.
My thoughts exactly gasketeer. I prefer two stoolers myself. I love big women.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:31 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I can see one thing that I have to contribute to this topic and it's this: retirement planning. You are asking men 40+ and that's maybe 26 years from retirement, and if you're single and 40+ it's going to come to you one day soon that you'll find yourself too old to work (not because you can't work, the harsh truth is that employers don't want seniors).

I'm a senior and retiring this year, I have a nice house but there's just one problem. I don't have anybody to enjoy it with.

I did well in my retirement planning, I have enough saved for the international travel I've always wanted. But... How would that work if I hooked up with a nice lady who has no savings, no house, maybe didn't work enough quarters to get Social Security, or her SS is trivial...

I have quite enough to welcome her into my home (already paid off), and yeah of course I could feed two people, but if she has no money how will we be able to enjoy the foreign travel I always wanted in my retirement?

My ideal is that she would be able to at least pay half the utilities, half the food, pay for her own car and personal stuff, and split the cost of our international travel.

I have maybe enough wealth to support possibly 1-1/4 people but I can't pay for both of us. She has to contribute something to the deal or we are stuck at home for the rest of our lives. It's a nice home but I want to see the world!

I can't afford to fall in love with a hamburger flipper.
Totally agree with your thinking. I'm surprised someone at retirement age actually isn't in favor of fully supporting a woman. I have this ongoing argument (discussion) with my girlfriend. She acts like she expects me to pay for everything, and I've told her that won't work if we're together, have a family, and ever want to retire. Otherwise, I'll die at my desk at 80, assuming I'm able to work for someone, as you mentioned with age discrimination. I'm amazed at the women who expect the man to cover everything in this day and age as equal to men as women now are. They want the best of both worlds. Drives me nuts. Sorry for the rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships