Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 09:17 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,117,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I'm not much of a motor-head. So long as there is a clean place for me to sit, I really don't care. Unless it's a van. Van kind of creep me out, even if "Free Candy" is not scrawled on the sides.

When did vans become a no go? I know you were joking but I've heard this kind of statement a lot in the last 10 or so years, I'm old enough to remember when a van was a "cool" thing to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 09:20 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Vans, unless you have a band, have been no go for decades. They are totally creepy, or suburban soccer/hockey family vehicles.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:27 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I remember those days, just having a car (ANY CAR!!!!) added like 5 points to your desirability meter from what I hear from younger cousins that is not the case anymore. at ads maybe 1 point but at the same time not having one subtracts like five points.
Here in Los Angeles if a man doesn't have a car it subtracts ALL your points.

Cha-ching! No car, no dates!

Don't let anybody tell you that Los Angeles has a mass transit system. What we have is brain dead and is effective only for poor people who have no choice. Our system beats only walking or bicycling. (Or not going, LOL!)

Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,224,281 times
Quote:
When did vans become a no go? I know you were joking but I've heard this kind of statement a lot in the last 10 or so years, I'm old enough to remember when a van was a "cool" thing to have.
The only time I remember a van being somewhat cool was in high school, because it provided a place to shag.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:30 AM

20,735 posts, read 19,939,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Here in Los Angeles if a man doesn't have a car it subtracts ALL your points.

Cha-ching! No car, no dates!
yeah, and I see nothing wrong with that. Public transportation in SoCal sucks and I don't want to end up driving my date around all the time.

You can get a little used Nissan Versa for $3k. If you do not have that much money, well ... cha-ching!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yeah, and I see nothing wrong with that. Public transportation in SoCal sucks and I don't want to end up driving my date around all the time.

You can get a little used Nissan Versa for $3k. If you do not have that much money, well ... cha-ching!
I still think the OP should go ahead with his post-apocalyptic urban assault vehicle plans, and then buy a second, inexpensive vehicle for dates and for times he wants to be inconspicuous. I'm not sure about the $3K, but surely a nice clean used car in good condition could be found for $5K-$6K. (Some women drive this type of car and I am impressed by the woman's smart economic sense! I like smart women! — As long as they are not so smart as to not date me! )

I just ran my '07 4Runner through KBB.com and came up with $12K trade-in or $14K private party. That's a bit more than I expected for my 11 year old car, but it's extremely modest in cost (and apparently a great deal, I paid $28K so 11 years later it's lost only half its value). I am benefiting from taking good care of my car and by keeping down my driving. Gas is expensive in L.A. so I combine and route my trips to hit multiple destinations with optimum mileage, and stay home and enjoy my house most days. I also live a very short distance from very nice shopping.

I keep my car well maintained both visually and mechanically, keep it clean inside and outside, and I'm sure when women see it they think something perhaps, "Hm. Nice car. He takes care of his stuff." And then they forget it. I passed the test and they never think about my car again except which one to get into when we leave a restaurant or other venue. And if she forgets, no matter because I lead her to my car and open her door for her. (You should always be a gentleman and open her door!)

Here's another tip: use valet parking! It costs only $10-$15 for parking/tip and she doesn't have to walk as far (and neither do I). Considering our meal costs of $100-$200 the little extra is worth it. Actually I think my use of valets impresses women subliminally. I use valet service even when meeting my date at a restaurant, e.g. first date. I want my mind on my date, not where I lost my car in a multi-story parking structure.

Last edited by Lovehound; 07-16-2018 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,117,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

It's weird that people view $3K as cheap. I was listening to a podcast/radioshow where they were talking about the increasing cost of car ownership, well a lot of the "out of touch" callers were pointing out that cars are only 20% more expensive than they were 30 years ago and actually 4% cheaper if you adjust for inflation. But the hosts(and half the callers) correctly pointed out that only factors in "NEW" cars where as used cars are on average 5X's as expensive as they were 30 years ago even adjusting for inflation.

In other words gone are the days that if you hit a rough patch you buy a cash car for a few 100 bucks to drive around it until you get back on your feet.

A few reasons are many states started cash for junkers or tax deductions for donating old cars(to be junked) to charities type programs(in an effort to get older cars off the road).

Cars that would have been bought by low income people(thus widening their job opportunities).
plus vehicles in the last 20 years last longer and hold their value longer, so are more likely to be used as trade in's or passed down to kids. Thus not ending up on the thrifty nickel or greensheet for "$500 or best offer"

And also the death of the "shade tree mechanic" is a factor as most cars made after 2000ish are hard to work on so your forced to take it to a costly garage.

in other words the entry level for a new car has dropped slightly but the entry level for a used car has increased dramatically. As the jalopy(that still runs good) you can buy flat out after 4 days working at the local "day labor/temp agency" look for a better job drive it back and forth to said job until you can save up enough to buy something better is all but a thing of the past relegating much of America to being stuck in what ever jobs they can find near a busline or living on peanutbutter financing a car.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 AM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I still think the OP should go ahead with his post-apocalyptic urban assault vehicle plans, and then buy a second, inexpensive vehicle for dates and for times he wants to be inconspicuous. I'm not sure about the $3K, but surely a nice clean used car in good condition could be found for $5K-$6K. (Some women drive this type of car and I am impressed by the woman's smart economic sense! I like smart women! — As long as they are not so smart as to not date me! )

I just ran my '07 4Runner through KBB.com and came up with $12K trade-in or $14K private party. That's a bit more than I expected for my 11 year old car, but it's extremely modest in cost (and apparently a great deal, I paid $28K so 11 years later it's lost only half its value). I am benefiting from taking good care of my car and by keeping down my driving. Gas is expensive in L.A. so I combine and route my trips to hit multiple destinations with optimum mileage, and stay home and enjoy my house most days. I also live a very short distance from very nice shopping.

I keep my car well maintained both visually and mechanically, keep it clean inside and outside, and I'm sure when women see it they think something perhaps, "Hm. Nice car. He takes care of his stuff." And then they forget it. I passed the test and they never think about my car again except which one to get into when we leave a restaurant or other venue. And if she forgets, no matter because I lead her to my car and open her door for her. (You should always be a gentleman and open her door!)

Here's another tip: use valet parking! It costs only $10-$15 for parking/tip and she doesn't have to walk as far (and neither do I). Considering our meal costs of $100-$200 the little extra is worth it. Actually I think my use of valets impresses women subliminally. I use valet service even when meeting my date at a restaurant, e.g. first date. I want my mind on my date, not where I lost my car in a multi-story parking structure.
I just bought a great Honda last week for barely over $3K. It's totally doable. My mechanic checked it out, said it's a great car. OP could keep his eye out for a private seller of a Toyota or Honda. They last forever and are super-reliable, as everyone probably knows.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:08 AM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
It's weird that people view $3K as cheap. I was listening to a podcast/radioshow where they were talking about the increasing cost of car ownership, well a lot of the "out of touch" callers were pointing out that cars are only 20% more expensive than they were 30 years ago and actually 4% cheaper if you adjust for inflation. But the hosts(and half the callers) correctly pointed out that only factors in "NEW" cars where as used cars are on average 5X's as expensive as they were 30 years ago even adjusting for inflation.

In other words gone are the days that if you hit a rough patch you buy a cash car for a few 100 bucks to drive around it until you get back on your feet.

A few reasons are many states started cash for junkers or tax deductions for donating old cars(to be junked) to charities type programs(in an effort to get older cars off the road).

Cars that would have been bought by low income people(thus widening their job opportunities).
plus vehicles in the last 20 years last longer and hold their value longer, so are more likely to be used as trade in's or passed down to kids. Thus not ending up on the thrifty nickel or greensheet for "$500 or best offer"

And also the death of the "shade tree mechanic" is a factor as most cars made after 2000ish are hard to work on so your forced to take it to a costly garage.

in other words the entry level for a new car has dropped slightly but the entry level for a used car has increased dramatically. As the jalopy(that still runs good) you can buy flat out after 4 days working at the local "day labor/temp agency" look for a better job drive it back and forth to said job until you can save up enough to buy something better is all but a thing of the past relegating much of America to being stuck in what ever jobs they can find near a busline or living on peanutbutter financing a car.
Hondas aren't hard to work on. Where do you live? Depending on your location, you might be able to access a Mexican car shop; the guys who work at dealerships run their own home-shop in the barrio, and charge half what the dealerships do for service and body work. Brush up on your Spanish, and you could win! And btw, the barrio is also where those old beater cars you're talking about, for under $1K are around, and up for sale, if you know the right people.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
My problem is kind of the opposite. I love this vehicle called the Chevy Colorado:

I've never owned a pickup truck and they seem to be all the rage in Phoenix. Plus it can tow a travel trailer easily, for those summer getaways to SoCal or Flagstaff.

However, the truck portrays an image of virility and masculinity that I'm no so sure I'm comfortable with yet. When a man steps out of a rugged pickup truck, you imagine a guy that looks like the Marlboro man, that crunchy sound of the boots on gravel. A man who has sexual prowess, who has had his share of women.

I'm just not that kind of man, not yet anyway. The truth is, a white VW Jetta matches my personality much more. Lately I'm really identifying with the color white too. You see, women have been far and few between in my life. So I bought white slacks and white canvas shoes (they look great by the way), I figure the clothing should match my "purity". Like those little figurines on top of wedding cakes.
Yeah...does not pique my interest at all. This image of "masculinity." Trucks don't do it for me.

Meanwhile, my 6'2" rugged-looking husband drives an electric Fiat, Chrysler van and scooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships