Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 05:32 AM

1 posts, read 579 times

Advertisements

Okay, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where to put this thread (feel free to move it, mods). It's a question about laws, but one specifically relevant to polyamorous relationships.

So here goes. My wife and I live in Texas and are considering a polyamorous relationship (specifically, I would be in a relationship with our roommate as well as her). We would like for me to be able to refer to her as my wife too, but we're worried that this will automatically place us in a "common-law marriage" (and it's illegal to be married to more than one person at a time). So I wanted to know simply, is there a way to avoid becoming common-law married while still referring to our roommate as my wife (publicly)? Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
If you present yourself as being married, you could run into problems with bigamy laws. If you call your roommate (and wife) a partner, then you should be fine.

Non-Monogamous Discourse: Non-Monogamous Families and the Law, Part 44: Summary of Texas Laws

This link goes back to 2011, and may be outdated now. You might check the polyamory website forums to ask people who live in TX if they have more info.

Specifically, "Non-dyadic non-monogamists should show a great deal of care for their public image, due to the purportation clause in bigamy ..." It appears that not living together would avoid most of the problems you could face. Or, move to Nevada!

Last edited by TaoistDude; 07-12-2018 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships