Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:34 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
What did the brother die of?

Car accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 08:05 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
[quote=bell235;52489922]Well his brothers were twins. So idk if that changes anything. I know its harder to lose a twin so the remaining brother/twin is not doing very well.

Weve been together for 7 years, so its a committed relationship. He feels like me and him can go away any time the rest of our lives but he feels like his brother asking him to go is more “once in a lifetime”. And he feels like he never did that when his other brother was alive so he feels like he should go.

Also when i talk to him about it he keeps bringing up how his life is over and ruined now and how much hes hurting so thats why i wanted to post here and make sure im not being unreasonable bc idk what hes feeling.[/quote]

I want to make sure I'm understanding this...your boyfriend is telling YOU that his life is over and ruined?

Hmmm. Granted your boyfriend is hurting, and sometimes when people are hurting, they lash out. But, if my husband said something similar to me, when his sister died, I would've had to put him in check.

Maybe I'm feeling peevish today, but I'm thinking you need to change that vacation to the week that he comes back, and he can 'batch' it for a week by himself. And you take your vacation, and maybe you can get a friend to go with you, and do your best to have fun.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Car accident.
This is important. It is not like dying of a terminal illness where you at least have some time to prepare to not have that person there anymore. A sudden death is harder to recover from because of the lack of preparation. One of my friends lost his brother to being shot and killed in CT a few years ago. He will tell you the suddenness and graphic death of his brother was the death knell of his marriage because he was having a hard time processing it even a couple of years later. I implore you OP, this is not a fight I’d pick out of compassion for your FB.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:47 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This is important. It is not like dying of a terminal illness where you at least have some time to prepare to not have that person there anymore. A sudden death is harder to recover from because of the lack of preparation. One of my friends lost his brother to being shot and killed in CT a few years ago. He will tell you the suddenness and graphic death of his brother was the death knell of his marriage because he was having a hard time processing it even a couple of years later. I implore you OP, this is not a fight I’d pick out of compassion for your FB.

I'm trying really hard to not let that happen. I know we're not married but been together 7 years so it's a committed long term relationship. I would think at some point things need to go back to semi-normal. For whatever reason i view the 1 year anniversary of the death as maybe the time where things may settle down. That's in September. SO yeah, maybe I have to let this go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships