Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 02:53 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times

Advertisements

Wife and I kept separate accounts. Typically we would each pay specific bills which were split as we had decided. In our case a 50-50 split. As an example she might pay the monthly mortgage of let us us say $1K. I would pay our other bills totaling $1K per month. Anything one bought themselves, like a new golf club, was on their dime.

Rarely, but sometimes, we did pass money back and forth to each other in the form of a personal check for deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:03 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
As I recall, you've complained about him and wanted to dump him several times. Isn't he the one who follows you into the shower to make sure you aren't texting anyone?
Thankfully he stopped that behavior awhile ago. I think he figured out I really have zero interest in cheating.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Wife and I kept separate accounts. Typically we would each pay specific bills which were split as we had decided. In our case a 50-50 split. As an example she might pay the monthly mortgage of let us us say $1K. I would pay our other bills totaling $1K per month. Anything one bought themselves, like a new golf club, was on their dime.

Rarely, but sometimes, we did pass money back and forth to each other in the form of a personal check for deposit.
Sounds like a reasonable system. I suggested he get checks and we could do the same thing.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:06 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Sounds like a reasonable system. I suggested he get checks and we could do the same thing.
Why would you need checks? Just use Paypal or Venmo.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM

888 posts, read 555,517 times
Quote:
As I recall, you've complained about him and wanted to dump him several times. Isn't he the one who follows you into the shower to make sure you aren't texting anyone?

Wow, just wow. Why is this person at all attractive. Even if he stopped doing that now, who cares, if someone did this even once to me that would be the end. Never mind the money issues. Single parenting is hard for sure, but this guy is hardly a partner making your life easier.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Why would you need checks? Just use Paypal or Venmo.
I refuse to use PayPal and never heard of Venmo. He should be able to send me money through his online banking but it takes weeks, or like last time, it just never made it. The bank how to cancel the transaction. I loathe his bank.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:20 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,271 times
1. Split the bills and have separate accounts. You each pay your own.
2. Have one bill account and one joint for spending. Make sure they are at the same bank so you can transfer easily.

I wouldn't do joint if your not married though.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
I refuse to use PayPal and never heard of Venmo. He should be able to send me money through his online banking but it takes weeks, or like last time, it just never made it. The bank how to cancel the transaction. I loathe his bank.
How can it takes weeks to receive money through a bank? And, how can a bank "lose" the money that was sent?

You have to find a better system. Why can't he bank at the same bank that you use? At least at the banks that I use, transferring to another account at the same bank takes less than 24 hours, and often is immediate.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
You've got to be kidding. It's not his bank, it's him.

It does NOT take weeks for a bank to send money, nor do they cancel transactions without the request of the account holder or a lack of funds.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:23 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
I don't like Paypal. I have had issues with them. I'm not familiar with Venmo either. But I do use Google Pay, and I like that a lot. You link your debit card to it, and so does the other person, and then they can send you money pretty much instantaneously from one account to another (the money goes directly from the checking acct via debit card, TO the other checking acct via debit card--it doesn't sit in your Google account at all) For some reason with one sender I get a text where I have to hit a link to "claim" the funds but otherwise it's smooth as silk.

I use that for my ex to send support for the kids, and for my current bf to send me his share of the rent.

Because I'm the one with kids (well, just one kid living with us now) and I tend to control the thermostat, etc. I have him pay a fixed amount each month, and then I just pay the rest, so when our usage is low I benefit and when it's high I cover the variance. Most of these variations are driven by me and my son, so that seemed fair to me.

The way it is divided, both I and my boyfriend save a little (not a lot) compared to what we were paying before, separately. And we share nicer living space than either of us had before. We are getting more for a bit less than our 2 separate households used to cost. But it's more than either of us would have comfortably afforded alone.

I think that's the optimal situation of living together. It's what I was shooting for when we moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships