Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:49 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Most people would not consider 5 homes in 15 years, dozens of cars in 20 years, and 10 jobs in an equally short period with periods of time totally off work to be indicative of someone who is excellent at personal finance. That seems to me more like flying by the seat of your pants and hoping for the best.

I still don’t think that the fiancé is broke. Instead I think he has serious doubts about this philosophy and is not on the same page, or really even in the same book or genre.
Yeah, that took awhile to hit my brain.... in 30 years I've had 4 cars (one was given to me by a family member, so I gave the one I had to another family member and one was stolen), and 3 homes (1 I moved in with DH for a short time before we sold). Never really thought about it before.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Folks have been telling her this since the minute she joined, she won't listen. And she wonders why nothing is working.

Basically what it boils down to. "When I'm really truly tired, I'll leave." I just wish she would stick to this without trying to involve everyone else here.

The constant and unrelenting drama would do me in. I relish in the solace and quiet of my home and would consider drama of that magnitude an invasion of my peace and peace of mind. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is worth the angst OP bathes in daily, nothing.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But ocnjgirl your relationship sounds like a marriage or at least a stable years-long relationship. If I was in a relationship of less than a year I certainly would not be putting my entire paycheck into a joint account, male or female!
I didn’t realize it was so soon! I think it’s probably not great for the kids so soon, either. LowOnLuck (you should change that handle, law of attraction and all) I wish you would reconsider and realize you are seeing who he really is. Before I met my honey, I dated a guy who was an angry man, for 3 years. In the beginning he seemed awesome, I saw the real him about 3 months later. I should have left them but I dreaded starting over and had been mostly single for years. It was three pretty awful years, and I’m actually embarrassed about a lot of things I put up with.

He actually broke up with me (he already had my trade-in lined up) but I thank God he did, it I would never have met my now fiancé. He treats me like gold, and I never doubt his love for me.’ And there are no embarrassing tantrums in front of my family and friends. I’m 56, so if I can meet the right guy at this stage in my life, you can too. Even when single for years, I never felt as lonely as I did than when I was in a wrong relationship.

It sounds like you are doing all the heavy lifting and problem solving, and all he does is shoot you down. A man who deserved you would look at all of you as his family, while he sounds like he’s looking out for only himself.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:50 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We had an argument this past weekend and I packed his things and told him he was free to leave.
I'll bet that caused a bit of "here we go again" nausea in the bellies of your children.

OP, do you ever wonder what they might end up posting on a support board in 20 years?

Old 08-04-2018, 11:59 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Lowonluck, he is getting what he wants out of this deal. You are not. You have asked for change. He is not willing. Is this working for you?

I think you have a picture in your head of what you want in life, but then pick men who are either not capable of being that OR you sabatoge it OR your picture is unrealistic OR somethimg else.

So if I were you, I would evaluate myself. Maybe a therapist could help you to do this. It is entirely possible you are just attracted to the wrong type guy & you need figure out why. Maybe you need change your picture of what you want. Maybe it would be better for you to plan to not have a man living in your household until after your children are grown.

The other parts of your life you seem to have dialed in. Why is this part wonky?

Old 12-18-2018, 08:35 AM

561 posts, read 324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
That parts is fine. My question is really how do you share expenses without sharing bank accounts and information about ones finances.
Simple. You figure out a fair portion of the mortgage and utilities and he pays it. You have 2 kids but fair isn't necessarily just 1/4 of the expenses unless that amounts to what he could reasonably expect to pay somewhere alone, the same way expenses don't automatically double if two people live in a place vs just one.

I'd never depend on one person paying a variable amount such as groceries or eating out because one person's perspective of how much they paid is never going to match another's. I tried to do that when my sister in law and her kids lived with us for a few months but the issue always turned into does $250 worth of chips and snacks that her kids inhaled after school really equal the heat bill?? So, you come up with a fair number and eliminate the variables. If two adults can't come up with an agreeable way to split the utilities then they probably shouldn't be living together.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:22 AM

561 posts, read 324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Pushing your kids into cooking duties just because you don't want to cook seems really a bad idea to me. The 7 year old no way, I'm not handing that kid a sharp knife. And the 14 year old only if s/he is interested in participating. I began cooking at 15 but only because I wanted to. I'm pretty sure my mom was really proud of me that night I cooked our family dinner the first time!

At 14 my jobs were (1) get good grades at school, (2) take out the trash, (3) ugh, mow the lawn. My sister had similar age-appropriate duties (but I forgot what hers were). Children should not be treated as labor sources. The idea behind giving them a few jobs is to give them an allowance too, and they don't get the $$$ if they don't do their duties. This builds the mental connection that if you want money you have to work for it, and to give your children a small amount of money so they can learn money management skills. Like when I wanted something more than my weekly allowance I had to save up for it. Duties and an allowance are a child's first lesson in personal finance.

So clearly you were not interested in participating in mowing the lawn but you did so anyway because it was part of your chores. There's no reason helping with dinner can't be a similar chore. As someone else pointed out there's no reason, except laziness, that OP can't make a frozen lasagne or follow a simple recipe. Everything has step by step videos on You Tube. If they make learning to cook a joint project with the 14 year old they can both benefit. Many people have their kids in the kitchen since toddlerhood doing age appropriate tasks. Both the kids are years behind in learning beneficial skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships