Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times

Advertisements

Contrary to what most people say, you can stop being friends with someone when they turn you down.

If they want to be friends and you want more, it will not work. Best bet is to sever ties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 12:28 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
They're only special to those who are in those particular relationships.

People need to be happy in their relationship, quietly.

The more private a relationship, the better.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
How about these two?

1) Get married before you commingle your finances.
2) Get married before you have children.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Hm. On that note (marriage)...

1. I don't believe you need to get married just because you want kids. (Sometimes it is a tax penalty!)

2. I believe that marriage is two things: The emotional/spiritual "celebration of love" piece, and the Business Contract piece.

3. I believe that having kids will change your relationship way more than getting married necessarily will.

4. I believe that people should take their time before getting married. Before making that choice, you should know that your partner is trustworthy, a good fit for your values and lifestyle, isn't a crazy spiteful person who will destroy you if you ever get divorced, how they handle stress and process difficult feelings, and if you're compatible sexually. You should know what their financial situation and credit reports are like. You should know about their social needs, and family ties. You should discuss things like estate planning and insurance coverage. Make sure that every part of the bundle you're signing on to spend your life with, is a part you can accept and consent to live with.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Makes sense. A woman with no experience will sometimes settle for bad sex, not knowing any better.

Try him out before buying ladies!

I’m on board with this ^^^^^. Nothing worse than bad sex. Had a gf like that. It was like screwing a fence post and she was built like one too. Actually a fence post would at least squeak and squeal

My thing is
Love isn’t enough to keep a repaltionship together. You need money too.
You can love someone till you’re literally ready to kill for them, but if you’re living in a Frigidaire box and you can’t offer at least the minimum care or service some needs you won’t be together long.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:37 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I’m on board with this ^^^^^. Nothing worse than bad sex. Had a gf like that. It was like screwing a fence post and she was built like one too. Actually a fence post would at least squeak and squeal

My thing is
Love isn’t enough to keep a repaltionship together. You need money too.
You can love someone till you’re literally ready to kill for them, but if you’re living in a Frigidaire box and you can’t offer at least the minimum care or service some needs you won’t be together long.
I would tend to agree. It's not money per se but just having enough to where both people aren't stressed out. You can have a great relationship, but if times are tough people tend to get snarly and more annoyed when stressed out.

Money doesn't buy happiness but it sure makes things a little better along the way.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:43 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I would tend to agree. It's not money per se but just having enough to where both people aren't stressed out. You can have a great relationship, but if times are tough people tend to get snarly and more annoyed when stressed out.

Money doesn't buy happiness but it sure makes things a little better along the way.
I agree with the enough concept re money. Money doesn't by happiness, but the lack of money buys anxiety.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:01 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
I hold the unpopular opinion that you do NOT need instant chemistry or sexual attraction in order to go on to have a fulfilling relationship with those things. I see so many people not feel that instant "spark" the moment their internet/blind/whatever date walks into the room and then decide that they will not bother with a second date or even putting much effort into the first one.

Of course, an attraction is important, but few people seem to want to actually get to know someone before they're dreaming about how they'll satisfy them sexually. And of course, a good sex life is important for a relationship, but it's not the only thing. (Unless both of you want it to be the only thing, then carry on.)

Old 08-30-2018, 03:52 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I hold the unpopular opinion that you do NOT need instant chemistry or sexual attraction in order to go on to have a fulfilling relationship with those things. I see so many people not feel that instant "spark" the moment their internet/blind/whatever date walks into the room and then decide that they will not bother with a second date or even putting much effort into the first one.

Of course, an attraction is important, but few people seem to want to actually get to know someone before they're dreaming about how they'll satisfy them sexually. And of course, a good sex life is important for a relationship, but it's not the only thing. (Unless both of you want it to be the only thing, then carry on.)
If I told a man there was no spark, it was usually not just a matter of lacking an exciting "wow" enthusiastic sparky feeling...it was because there was like...anti-chemistry. Something about him put me off. It might not be something that would put off any/every woman, but it did for me.

He hit a nope button. I did not even want to think about what it might be like to have sex with him.

No one should be trying to force a second date if they feel that way.

Included in that bundle was a man who had really awful rotten teeth (though otherwise he was a nice dude) and another who was so horribly awkward I was counting the moments until I could escape the date. Sometimes, it's really that bad. "No spark" or "no chemistry" is my nice way of saying no thanks.

And if a guy found something about ME that off-putting? Like, I'm a smoker, so a guy could be repulsed by the smell of smoke on me and I would not even blame him. I sure wouldn't want him trying to force himself to endure another date and see if his mind wouldn't maybe change. I'd be fine with him saying, "I'm not feelin' it. Best of luck."

Old 09-06-2018, 03:11 AM

76 posts, read 127,652 times
My unpopular opinion: Have sex early. You can't be with someone long term is the sex is not mind blowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships