Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:39 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
good looks does not translate into emotional availability
a good looking person does not need to put themselves out there, the line forms on the right
don't get in line
there is nothing there when you get to the front of the line
you just wasted a bunch of your time
the tragedy of the world
3 percent of the people on earth are chased
the rest are ignored
With the world population at almost seven and a half billion at this point, I hardly think 97% of people are ignoring one another. All those babies got here somehow.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:57 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I got to talking to this single woman from a Meetup event. We had a pretty lenghty conversation about dating and how she's "closed up shop" years ago when it comes to that.

She's found that her fierce spirit, unwavering loyalty, and intellectual prowess, along with her deeply liberal views. She's spiritual, and not religious, and living in an area where most men are religious and conservative and though find her curious.

She 's also noticed a good half of men only like her for her looks, which is an automatic deal breaker. She feels singles Meetups are a meat market (my personal opinion, Meetups have mostly singles in them anyway, so..it's all the same) She said it's not necessary for a woman to get a man in that kind of platform as they could approach a man and get a "Hell yes or no". That men are simple and will take a woman regardless of any organized function.

Anyways, she considers herself highly cerebral.

Basically, though they may find her physically attractive, they find her aforementioned traits not aligned with theirs.

Then she concluded with, "Anyways, I closed up shop some years ago" and that flattery is a distraction from the truth.

This was the first time I've ever heard such a UNIQUE explanation of why they are single.

It's kind of like she's choosing to be single, but she finds it to be futile as most men she comes across are, well,only like her looks, but find her traits not meshing well with others.

So, I don' t know, should you ever find an independent woman that has "closed for business" for the long haul, maybe this can enlighten the reasons as to why?

Do any women here can mirror what this one just told me?
I'm sure I'd feel similarly if I didn't live in an area with my kind of people. Or I'd move. I've always stated that my success, how I define it, had a lot to do with my location. Those locations had spades of my type. If I lived in other parts of the country, such would not be the case, as it was for my husband. Back when he lived in an area with basically no matches due to sociocultural and ideological differences. Major ones. So he was pretty indifferent about the dating process and scene. His experience improved when he moved to a metro area, but it was still a struggle at times.

Then he met me.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:07 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
She's found that her fierce spirit, unwavering loyalty, and intellectual prowess, along with her deeply liberal views.
This part just reads so over-the-top. Like, yeah, I like my brain. A lot. But c'mon, the wording is unnecessarily flowery. Fierce spirit and unwavering loyalty? Loyalty to...?

Old 07-23-2018, 04:06 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
This part just reads so over-the-top. Like, yeah, I like my brain. A lot. But c'mon, the wording is unnecessarily flowery. Fierce spirit and unwavering loyalty? Loyalty to...?
Well, I think people who take to the keyboard who are intellectuals have a tendency to do this, esp. if it's their real life profession.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:20 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Well, I think people who take to the keyboard who are intellectuals have a tendency to do this, esp. if it's their real life profession.
I think she was referring to the character in your story, not the writer of the story. So did the lady use those words or you?

Old 07-23-2018, 05:24 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
She is signaling the kind of man she wants.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
I got to talking to this single woman from a Meetup event. We had a pretty lenghty conversation about dating and how she's "closed up shop" years ago when it comes to that.

She's found that her fierce spirit, unwavering loyalty, and intellectual prowess, along with her deeply liberal views. She's spiritual, and not religious, and living in an area where most men are religious and conservative and though find her curious.

She 's also noticed a good half of men only like her for her looks, which is an automatic deal breaker. She feels singles Meetups are a meat market (my personal opinion, Meetups have mostly singles in them anyway, so..it's all the same) She said it's not necessary for a woman to get a man in that kind of platform as they could approach a man and get a "Hell yes or no". That men are simple and will take a woman regardless of any organized function.

Anyways, she considers herself highly cerebral.

Basically, though they may find her physically attractive, they find her aforementioned traits not aligned with theirs.

Then she concluded with, "Anyways, I closed up shop some years ago" and that flattery is a distraction from the truth.

This was the first time I've ever heard such a UNIQUE explanation of why they are single.

It's kind of like she's choosing to be single, but she finds it to be futile as most men she comes across are, well,only like her looks, but find her traits not meshing well with others.

So, I don' t know, should you ever find an independent woman that has "closed for business" for the long haul, maybe this can enlighten the reasons as to why?

Do any women here can mirror what this one just told me?
This is not an unusual position.She probably explained it in a way that you can relate to. Being independent does not mean not needing another individual. In my opinion, it means being capable of forming relationships that both sides can benefit from.

For the record, I don't think unwavering loyalty is a positive characteristic. I see it as possessive.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I think she was referring to the character in your story, not the writer of the story. So did the lady use those words or you?
She absolutely used those exact words with me.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:11 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
She absolutely used those exact words with me.
In answer to a poster commenting that the adjectives and descriptions in your story were flowery and over the top, you explained:
"I think people who take to the keyboard who are intellectuals have a tendency to do this, esp. if it's their real life profession."
You reply that these are her exact words.
So she's a writer?

Old 07-23-2018, 07:15 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
So she's better than everyone else and has closed up shop since no one is worthy of her company, yet she attended a singles meet up? Am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships