Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 11:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

I'm more perplexed that there are high school seniors using OLD than anything else.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:38 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm more perplexed that there are high school seniors using OLD than anything else.
Why is it perplexing? It's a whole catalogue of 50 y.o. men all in one location!

Old 08-10-2018, 11:43 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
... for that 50 year old guy to be desirable a decent % of much younger women need to be contacting him...
Just noting, "At 40 a woman only has a 5% chance of becoming pregnant in any month." (link) It seems to me that some of the rush for 50 YO men could be explained as 40 YO women who see their last chance to have children. (After 45 pregnancy is almost impossible, at least without extreme measures.)

I'm not saying this is it. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:46 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Everybody seems to be saying that kids are stuck in their computers and games and are social misfits (by some reports). Maybe it's just solving another problem (dating) using familiar tools (e-devices).

Old 08-10-2018, 11:47 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
That's what I was wondering, too; I asked this earlier in the thread. Why would 18-year-old girls need to be on OLD? Either they're still in HS, or they're in college, getting plenty of dates as members of the new Freshman class. Maybe there were only two that age on the OLD site, and they got bombarded with messages from all the thirsty, dateless teen and 20-something guys? That would account for the statistical results, indicating they got the most messages.

Who came up with that oft-quoted line, about there being only "Lies, damn lies, and statistics"? Did I get that right?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Why is it perplexing? It's a whole catalogue of 50 y.o. men all in one location!
That's true.

ALL the girls at my local high school pour over 50-year-old guys and drool via OLD. It's their secret Friday night fix while they avoid the cute HS senior and young college-age guys.

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's true.

ALL the girls at my local high school pour over 50-year-old guys and drool via OLD. It's their secret Friday night fix while they avoid the cute HS senior and young college-age guys.
It's kind of a thing for teen slumber parties, I've heard.

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Everybody seems to be saying that kids are stuck in their computers and games and are social misfits (by some reports). Maybe it's just solving another problem (dating) using familiar tools (e-devices).

Maybe, I met people in class, band, parties, etc. But I'm old.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:50 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's not that. It's the simple fact that in this age group you are SURROUNDED daily by literally hundreds of other people who are all single. Full stop. You will NEVER experience this again, once you're out of school. Even in college, not every student will be single (some people marry very early).

In high school, every day you sit in the middle of 25-35 other single people, your age, many of whom have similar interests, ALL of whom are at the same stage of life, with that group changing for 6 classes a day, plus the people you pass in the hall. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting another single person, your age, in your exact situation when you're in HS.

So while there will always be the percentage of, say, shy very young people who will look via OLD instead of right next to them, it IS weird, this assumption that there are just so, so many 18-year-old girls looking to OLD to find dates. Enough to get firm, viable stats about their popularity across all age groups on OLD.

Also, many people, both male and female, will feel in high school that "some day" they'll have dates, or they'll be more confident or whatever (and that's often true), so it would be odd that huge numbers of dateless girls (they absolutely exist) would be rushing for OLD, while still in high school.

Again, enough to take this all as a firm representation of women as a whole.

It just doesn't really bear out, logically.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:54 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
And if we we're discussing attractiveness, even just physical attractiveness, this kind of study only measures breadth and not depth of attractiveness. Facial hair on men illustrates this. A guy with a beard may not get frequent interest, because most women don't much like facial hair. By most I mean more than half. I think other things being equal, having a beard would make a man less desirable in this study. But a minority of women really like facial hair. So a man who has facial hair that is itself decent looking and which suits his face and style will have little breadth to his attractiveness, but will have depth. And this isn't about beards so much as any trait that tends to be polarizing. Could be a woman being a little taller or heavier than is popular, or anyone with lots of body modifications.

I suppose there's some advantage to appealing a bit to a lot of people. It may give you more dating options in the short term, and with those options you can let people get to know you better and maybe that leads to a good match. I think it can make you feel a bit more secure if you get some regular positive feedback. But if that isn't possible, appealing a lot to a few people is a good option and maybe better in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships