Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 11:20 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
The data speaks for itself. I'm genuinely curious as to the social message behind the data.
Well, have you been swiping right on 18-year-olds like crazy since reading it?

The social message? This study reminds me of the Dewey Vs. Truman election prediction debacle when stats from telephone polls were used, back in a time when telephones were still found in mostly more well-to-do homes, where the residents tended to favor Dewey, who ended up not winning.

Famous Statistical Blunders in History | The Oxford Math Center

These scientists attempted to quantify something which, really, is not quantifiable. They forced a sample based on number of messages sent, while those of us who observe and participate in online dating know this is a flawed approach since many people have a shotgun approach to messaging, etc.

You can try to use this to promote your own warped theories here, but most of us see through that. Until you recognize yourself what you're doing wrong, you will still be sitting at your PC, sending messages and feeling frustrated.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:20 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
The data speaks for itself. I'm genuinely curious as to the social message behind the data.
A man is most desirable at 50. Even if this is true for a man, that means he is at HIS most desirable at 50. HIS most desirable may be a toad compared to a guy who's 35 and on his way to desirable peak-ity.
You do have critical thinking skills don't you? Put a roomful of 50 y.o. guys together. Are they all attractive? Hell no...are they the most attractive they'll ever INDIVIDUALLY be? Maybe.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Very nice synopsis. The fact that, among women, 18 year olds are most desirable and among men 50 year olds are most desirable presents a very revealing picture of what women desire in men and what men desire in women. This data allows us to extrapolate some very relevant insights into the male/female dynamic.
No, it illustrates that many men see you girls as easy, and that women in their 40s and 50s are more comfortable approaching men than when they were younger, and like a majority of people (marriage age difference state near this out), are looking within their basic age group.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:24 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Why don't you look around you to see how the data play out in real life circumstances?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, it illustrates that many men see you girls as easy, and that women in their 40s and 50s are more comfortable approaching men than when they were younger, and like a majority of people (marriage age difference state near this out), are looking within their basic age group.

Yup, in addition to a change in demographic numbers, which the analysis did not factor in.

The data is fine though. It is what it is. It's only the misapplication and misrepresentation of the data and some unfounded conclusions by the OP that I have an issue with.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:25 AM
RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Put a roomful of 50 y.o. guys together. [i]Are they all attractive?
I suppose this depends on what you're looking for. And for some reason, 50 year old men have something that women find attractive. What is it? That's what I genuinely want to know.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:27 AM
RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yup, in addition to a change in demographic numbers, which the analysis did not factor in.
Au contraire. The information you're looking for is in the Supplementary Materials. Here's a link: http://advances.sciencemag.org/conte...aap9815_SM.pdf

Old 08-09-2018, 11:29 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
I suppose this depends on what you're looking for. And for some reason, 50 year old men have something that women find attractive. What is it? That's what I genuinely want to know.
They have something that women around their age find attractive. I’m in my 30s and I’m not interested in dating a man in his 50s. I’m sure there are some nice, attractive men in their 50s, but I’m in no rush to start dating them. What for?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
And for some reason, 50 year old men have something that women find attractive. What is it? That's what I genuinely want to know.
It's in the study: Education and economic stability

The social message is that it's supposedly easier than ever to meet people but harder than ever to get their attention.

Honestly, it sounds exactly like how I would imagine a physics professor would describe dating.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Au contraire. The information you're looking for is in the Supplementary Materials. Here's a link: http://advances.sciencemag.org/conte...aap9815_SM.pdf

I read those initially, thanks, no, they didn't factor it in their "desirability" quotient by cohort. They did analyze the cohorts separately, but that is not what I was talking about at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships