Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:31 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
This is why I’m glad I’m married. I don’t need to deal with the bs out there or have to prove myself over and over at every date. Screw that I rather be alone and focus my energy elsewhere. If I need my pipes cleaned I can pick up a 2 am wife for a night at a local bar. Turn off the lights she’s Kate Beckinsale. We may not have a perfect marriage but we get along very well.

Lol
You're lucky you're married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 01:44 PM

20,386 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
...and then everyone comes back here and asks why online dating is so hard...
I didn't actually find it all that hard. Absurd at times. But not necessarily difficult.

I wasn't really taking it too seriously though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Sometimes the simple things matter too. Not every email has to be a dissertation showing how well he's digested info from you profile. (gender irrelevant stance, pronouns notwithstanding)
Dissertation? No. A simple mention of a thing is good though in a first message, because it's nice to know that a dude actually at least skimmed the words. "Hey, you look interesting, love the Monty Python quote. Which is your favorite Python? I'm a John Cleese guy myself. Want to get coffee or dinner sometime?" would be enough to get me to do a profile check, and unless I ran into any dealbreakers, I'd go on a first date with that guy. Hell, I had a convo leading to a first date that began when a guy said he liked one particular pic I had posted because the lighting was a cool effect. The key is to just make the person feel like they're something besides just another copy/paste in a mindless "numbers game."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Please elaborate on this I got curious, you WANT a guy to talk about how great his own personality is? Isn't that even more self centered?
I want a guy to project interesting personality. No of course sitting there saying, "I have a great personality, I have a 140 IQ and everyone laughs at my jokes. Date me." is not going to work. I'm saying that when it comes to PHOTOS, some photos convey personality and some do not.

Fashion choices can play into that, angles, lighting, props. There are pics that have been enough to make me curious, and pics that haven't. The number one thing I was looking for, is someone who aroused a sense of curiosity for me. A fit body doesn't do that, at all. But an interesting shot, or one that conveys something fun about somebody, would. The key is NOT blending into the masses and becoming invisible, just another guy. But...that is key...for me. I can't speak to what other women are looking for. I'm sure the whole washboard abs thing does it for plenty of us!

Old 08-15-2018, 06:46 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Look, people make snap decisions when meeting IRL too, subconsciously, based on a thousand visual cues. Speaking only cements these, or tips the scales one way or the other. But it's the way we ALL operate, because there are billions of people in this world, and we can't be into all of them, or even the majority. We subconsciously begin whittling things down from the first glance.
Not the same when you get a chance to SPEAK to the person, rather than infer things by looking at the photos online. People have different notions of what looks good and may not understand the message they are projecting. A 5 minute conversation may clear all of that right up. Also, MANY people I know personally act completely different in real life than they do online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships