Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 03:45 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What is wrong with a job like that if they are happy doing it? Some people do not have the most glamorous or well paying jobs but they do the job they do because they enjoy it. Who would want to be with someone who thinks you have to reach a certain level just to be able to date? Seems like a woman like that cares more about what a guy can do for her then the actual person.
I think I recall a post on another message board, where this guy's girlfriend got promoted or something. She made more than he did doing his job. She claimed his job was kind of boring/menial, but...he said he was completely happy with what he was doing.

To her, she was seeing lack of ambition, but to him, he was okay where he was. And I think it was an accounting job or something.

She had hang up on the salary diff they both had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 05:05 AM

575 posts, read 339,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I think I recall a post on another message board, where this guy's girlfriend got promoted or something. She made more than he did doing his job. She claimed his job was kind of boring/menial, but...he said he was completely happy with what he was doing.

To her, she was seeing lack of ambition, but to him, he was okay where he was. And I think it was an accounting job or something.

She had hang up on the salary diff they both had.
That's a quite serious problem, especially if he's strongly emotionally attached to her, because she doesn't understand that his happiness in his job is 10x more important than a paycheck.

But, I've seen that instance too in past, when woman's materialism materialized only post-promotion, meaning she was successfully hiding it for some time.

At that point, it's obvious their life philosophy differs drastically, it still hurts, though...

Old 08-26-2018, 09:53 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What is wrong with a job like that if they are happy doing it? Some people do not have the most glamorous or well paying jobs but they do the job they do because they enjoy it. Who would want to be with someone who thinks you have to reach a certain level just to be able to date? Seems like a woman like that cares more about what a guy can do for her then the actual person.
Honestly how many people are actually happy working at a place like that with low wages and not great benefits? Given the chance probably the majority working there would bolt for a much better paying job with better benefits like a government job.

Most people do not like their jobs, let alone a low paying one.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:59 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If a woman will not want you because of your job the answer is not to hide your job. The answer is: you need some other woman and it is best you both know this before wasting your time. If she is the type to judge something you do every day how could she possibly be the woman for you? What have you lost?
The opportunity to make someone fall for you and possibly have sex, therefore making it harder for her to break it off because you have a crappy job?

I agree everyone should disclose their job on the first date or meet but I understand why guys are so vague about it in the first place. It's just like older guys being evasive about their age to younger women. Get in first and hope for the best.

Deception is wrong but then do you go all out and tell your faults right off the bat?

Old 08-26-2018, 12:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
The opportunity to make someone fall for you and possibly have sex, therefore making it harder for her to break it off because you have a crappy job?

I agree everyone should disclose their job on the first date or meet but I understand why guys are so vague about it in the first place. It's just like older guys being evasive about their age to younger women. Get in first and hope for the best.

Deception is wrong but then do you go all out and tell your faults right off the bat?
All my faults, no, but he knows the major points which I haven't lied about or hidden.

Yes, deception is wrong.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:25 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Honestly how many people are actually happy working at a place like that with low wages and not great benefits? Given the chance probably the majority working there would bolt for a much better paying job with better benefits like a government job.

Most people do not like their jobs, let alone a low paying one.

That's funny because most of the jobs I've actually enjoyed paid crap, and most of the jobs I've made good money in were stressful, soul sucking, hellholes. And no I would not leave my crappy paying current job(that pays my bill's and I get to work from home) for one of those soul-sucking higher paying jobs. in fact I had a woman drift off because I turned down such a job. A former manager from my current job who works for a new company now tried to poach me, offered me a job where I would be doing pretty much the same job I do now at my current company for a little over twice the pay, except they don'y have a work from home program and I would have had to commute to Dallas every mourning plus the had a strict dress code and a strict non-flexible schedule. I told him thanks but no thanks I'm happy where I am(granted if they had a work from home program I would have considered it). But anyway the girl I was dating at the time was with me when I got that call, and she started acting different after I turned down that job, she spent the next few weeks kinda trying to get me to take it(shoe-horning it in when we were talking about other subjects), and we got along great before that with no issues, the change was very disappointing.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I had a government job once that, if I had told where I worked or what I did, I'd have likely lost my job and could have found myself in jail. Kinda silly, looking back on it, as anyone could have figured out both easily enough without me saying a word. Still, you're not always able to make decisions based on what makes sense, especially with sensitive government work. Technically, I'm still not allowed to talk about it, nearly 50 years later. But get me one-on-one across a dinner table and I'll spill it all -- bore you to death.

Later in life, with a few other jobs, if I'd have given my occupation and city, you'd have been able to walk into my office the next day. (There are hundreds totally unique jobs in every city, both in government and private industry.) I tried skirting it a few times, simply saying, "I'm a writer." I got laughed at. "Everyone claims to be a writer."

My current job isn't secretive, but I was told before being hired that I cannot mention on the internet what I do. Sheesh! No, I'm not a drug dealer nor a hitman!

But on a date? I've never much enjoyed talking about my job, but as long as it's not illegal to reveal it, I'd consider it an essential detail about me, not just my current job but all the jobs I've had. I'd feel the same way about those I date. Admittedly, I'd expect some embellishment but not too much.

One mystery date told me (before the date) that she was a doctor, publisher and radio personality in (a major U.S. city). Turned out her doctorate was purchased, probably for $100 or less, her small monthly publication's readers were probably 99% nut jobs, and she was a guest on a small radio talk show for an hour or two once each month. But I'll admit she was fun, even after I learned the whole truth, and I dated her for a summer before she got too serious too soon.

My late wife embellished her job a bit too, before we met. She said she was an editor. Turned out she was more of a proof-reader for a small medical journal a couple days each month. But she was the smartest person I've ever known. And the kindest. And sexiest. And SO MUCH more.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It's just a "get to know you" question! Something to talk about, I don't ask where you live because I'm going to try and figure out the value of your home --I want to know where to meet halfway.

If asked what you do for a living or where you work, it's just one more subject to talk about. Are you gone all night, do you work 3 days a week, are you retired, unemployed, pretending to be a drug and alcohol counselor when you're actually in-patient?

Is it none of my damn business if you have a dog, either?

What Evasive Guy isn't undetstanding is: the getting-to-know-you part is now going to be determined by the fact that you wouldn't answer truthfully or at all.

THAT reaction tells me way more about who a person is then where they go for 8 to 10 hours a day.
LOL. That is pertinent information!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:29 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,733 times
Unless a woman is a stripper or sex worker I don't care what she does for a living.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:40 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Unless a woman is a stripper or sex worker I don't care what she does for a living.
What if she IS a stripper?

Is it okay if she hides that from you until you fall for her? Because otherwise you might not go out with her, just based on her job, which after all doesn't define her, and that's just unfair?

I mean it's not necessarily that she LIKES it, what if she has to because that's all she can get?

OR...

Is it better that everybody be honest so they can decide for themselves whom they want to go out with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships