Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:30 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,203,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, I see; you're including wine. Otherwise, it could easily be $30 for two dinners, $20 or so for the movies. If someone can't handle that, they can have a lunch date. Nothing wrong with that. Especially for someone you're just getting to know.
Exactly - if someone can't afford a certain kind of date don't do it and complain - just do something else! Guys acting like women have too high an expectation are really just going around with a chip on their shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 12:49 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
Oh, I see; you're including wine. Otherwise, it could easily be $30 for two dinners, $20 or so for the movies. If someone can't handle that, they can have a lunch date. Nothing wrong with that. Especially for someone you're just getting to know.

Well the OP included wine. But generally with dinner it is pretty rare there are no drinks. There is at least one. I've been skipping due to carbs, but that's unusual.

And $30 with tax and tip is an absolutely barest of cheapy ethnic dive dinner (Thai, Cambodian, El Salvadoran) with two cheaper entrees, no app. So no, not easily, unless you mean a burrito to go. Which I'm fine with, but every once in sitting at a table is nice.

Two burgers with fries came to $40+ with tax and tip a couple of weeks ago, and it really wasn't a fancy place. Just a normal bar/restaurant setting in small town Rhode Island.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:01 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,237,594 times
I wonder how many people can drink an entire bottle of wine during dinner, especially on a first date?

Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 PM

102,060 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well the OP included wine. But generally with dinner it is pretty rare there are no drinks. There is at least one. I've been skipping due to carbs, but that's unusual.

And $30 with tax and tip is an absolutely barest of cheapy ethnic dive dinner (Thai, Cambodian, El Salvadoran) with two cheaper entrees, no app. So no, not easily, unless you mean a burrito to go. Which I'm fine with, but every once in sitting at a table is nice.

Two burgers with fries came to $40+ with tax and tip a couple of weeks ago, and it really wasn't a fancy place. Just a normal bar/restaurant setting in small town Rhode Island.
We need to take into account that prices vary nationwide. In my town, $15 for quality Chinese food or Thai isn't "the barest of the cheap". OTOH, I don't know where the author of the article lives, but if she'd priced that dinner according to NYC or San Francisco prices, it would have come to at least $100 without the movie tickets. I have trouble imagining wine with Chinese food, myself. I associate it with more conventional fare.

But this is exactly why a restaurant dinner should be a special occasion, not the opening volley in a dating process. It's expensive no matter how you slice it, and should be a special occasion. Otherwise, if you make it ordinary, you could be locking yourself into some unreasonable expectations.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
We need to take into account that prices vary nationwide. In my town, $15 for quality Chinese food or Thai isn't "the barest of the cheap". OTOH, I don't know where the author of the article lives, but if she'd priced that dinner according to NYC or San Francisco prices, it would have come to at least $100 without the movie tickets. I have trouble imagining wine with Chinese food, myself. I associate it with more conventional fare.

But this is exactly why a restaurant dinner should be a special occasion, not the opening volley in a dating process. It's expensive no matter how you slice it, and should be a special occasion. Otherwise, if you make it ordinary, you could be locking yourself into some unreasonable expectations.

But it's not $15. It's like $10.95 or per entrée. Add tax to that, then tip. Voila. $30 for two.
Maybe there are places that are cheaper that aren't atrocious. I've lived in some cheap places. But not much. SF probably had the cheapest/best Chinese options I've lived near though. Burmese was a bit more, but also good.

And yeah, I'm not a wine drinker anyway, but that's Mai Tai time. Not wine time.

And agreed that a good dinner should be a special occasion, but a meal every couple of dates isn't really much. If you go kayaking, or hiking, or whatever... eventually you'll want to grab drinks/food more than likely. Heck, we cooked dinner at my place this last Friday and that was over $30 just for the ingredients, and I had most stuff.

Anyway, dating can add up. Everything adds up.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:24 PM

1,201 posts, read 794,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I wonder how many people can drink an entire bottle of wine during dinner, especially on a first date?
Uhh, most people? That's about two glasses each.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post

Yeah, a bottle between two people is pretty standard. I generally don't care for wine though, but its normal.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,585,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
LOL what size glasses are you using?

You're supposed to get 6 glasses out of a bottle.

There's no way I would drink three glasses on a first date.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:44 PM

641 posts, read 403,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Of course they want instant chemistry/the tingles. So probably do you, except you call it: she looks hot. It is normal to want to be attracted to the person you are dating, LOL. For whatever your reasons are.

You can't buy that with a pricey meal.

Coffee. Some talk. Some flirting. And there ya go!
Yeah, the attraction is there or it's not and if it isn't then an expensive dinner date (where the man pays) is only going to see you taken for a ride by some women who will be happy to be wined and dined by some sap and being treated like a princess by some stranger. If you're lucky she'll tell the guy there's no chemistry and cut contact.

Men need to show some self respect but part of the problem is if he's using online dating and has messaged 100 women just to get 1 reply, and needed 10 replies to get a number and a potential date then he's over eager to impress. The dating market is ridiculously lop sided these days.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:45 PM

6,417 posts, read 9,730,633 times
I like going to dinner for 1st dates. I certainly dont mind paying and usually go to a good steak house so I can enjoy it as well. Sitting down at dinner you have more time to talk and are usually more relaxed than just sitting down for a cup of coffee in my experience.

I think people should just do what works for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships