Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 06:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
To derail the thread a bit: Any insight as to where or how to meet them? (Other than the three examples you mentioned?)

Edit: Stupid question, I realized. Answer: The same sorts of places I tend to hang out in, i.e., where I want to be, when I want to be. There's not many Me's when I hang out there, so it stands to reason that there wouldn't be many Them's there, either.
um....translation, please?

How to meet them? Well, try out dance groups (salsa, swing, folk, contra), that can be fruitful, if you stick with it. (New people join from time to time--fresh faces), chat in the cashier line when you're at stores, go to bookstore events (author readings), join sports clubs (kayaking, biking, sailing, singles hiking groups), volunteer for film festivals, if you like gardening, take a couple of classes at your local garden center, get involved in activities in your locale.

To some extent it's hit-and-miss, but you increase your chances by getting out there and participating in mixed groups. When you go to concerts, talk to women during intermission. There are lots of opportunities like that, that you've probably been overlooking.

edit: oh, wait... you're the guy who lives in a small town, in an area where people get married young? Well, you can file this away in your suggestion box, for when you move to a bigger town. In a region, where people don't get married young.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-01-2018 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 07:47 PM

272 posts, read 185,224 times
I had great luck at county fairs. Lots of people of both genders. Not many by themselves but when you see one, it's easy to invite them on a ride or play a game.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:50 PM

1,593 posts, read 776,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
edit: oh, wait... you're the guy who lives in a small town, in an area where people get married young? Well, you can file this away in your suggestion box, for when you move to a bigger town. In a region, where people don't get married young.

Yeah, that's me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:50 AM

82 posts, read 78,951 times
Go places alone. I know most people don’t like to be alone but when you go places alone, especially if your “going out” guys are more likely to hit on you because they don’t have to impress or fight off your girlfriends and or are not wondering if the guy your with is a just a friend, brother, boyfriend or what.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:49 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJaction View Post
So if the thread is not legit, let's answer the question, what percentage of women, if any, have a tough time getting dates?
The following would be my best guess.

Ages 18-39: Less than 2 percent

Ages 40-49: 3%

Ages 50-59: 5%

Ages 60+: 8-10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's kind of like trying to determine the unemployment rate. The rate cited in studies and articles doesn't include the people who have given up looking for work. There are a lot of women out there, who are just getting on with their lives, and aren't beating the bushes for guys, other than maybe attending a dance group or hobby group, or volunteering somewhere. They don't go to bars and aren't on OLD. Contrary to the mythology some would have us all believe, no one's lining up to meet them as soon as they go out in public, and when they try to chat random buys up, they get zilch. So they fill their lives with pursuing their own interests.
I find this difficult to believe. When I've been single and needed to meet women, I have done massive amount of cold approaching. Over time, I have cold approached on the street, in grocery stores, in malls, at gyms/fitness class, and bars. I have used dating sites/apps (the worst), Meetup.com groups (the second worst). Rarely, a social circle acquaintance has provided a date. These women who are not going to bars and not using sites/apps will still have plenty of options. First, she can put feelers out through her social circle. If social circle doesn't work, she can be approached in the grocery store, on the street, at a gym/fitness class, at the mall, a coffee shop, etc. Maybe even her dance group, hobby group or volunteer project has men wanting to date her (a probable occurrence).

The bottom line is that there is no reason for any woman to be dateless. If not using technology, she just needs to step out the door to find a date. If stepping out of the door is too burdensome, there are many sites and apps that will do the trick. Also, let's not forget Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Snapchat. Those can be date sources too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships