Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 10:34 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's a regional holiday, observed in the Midwest and western Appalachia, on the third Saturday in October.

It started in 1921, due to the lobby of confectionery companies. It originally wasn't meant to be romantic, and instead was meant to bring simple joys to orphans, elderly, and the poor. But over time, it became Valentine's Day 2.0. It's also an easy excuse for the single and the jaded to buy cheap candy the day after.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetest_Day
I have never heard of this.

Anybody here celebrate this?

Nearly all the rest are mutual. No, you don't get a gift back when you give someone a birthday present, that is just weird. Doghouse: sure, or you've chosen to be with someone spoiled. Or if you live in 1955. Just because: NOT a requirement. It is just to be nice and I like to do this for my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 11:34 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's a regional holiday, observed in the Midwest and western Appalachia, on the third Saturday in October.

It started in 1921, due to the lobby of confectionery companies. It originally wasn't meant to be romantic, and instead was meant to bring simple joys to orphans, elderly, and the poor. But over time, it became Valentine's Day 2.0. It's also an easy excuse for the single and the jaded to buy cheap candy the day after.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetest_Day
Hmm... So, the author of at least one MGTOW blog is from the mid-West or Appalachia? You (or he) are really scraping the bottom of the barrel, to come up with items to pad your "list of outrageous relationship requirements" with, M-U. Oh well, scrape away, if that's what makes you happy. You don't sound happy, though, in spite of all the scraping.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:37 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
For discussion purposes, is it wrong for women to expect men to give them flowers, take them out on special occasions (birthday, V day, etc), buy them presents? And then get their feelings hurt if it doesn't happen?
No it's not wrong for women to expect this because we're talking about special occasions and not something that the men would have to be doing everyday.If the guy can't even do 1 thing for a special occasion...then he should be dropped.I find it hard to believe that one wouldn't think it a bad thing to get someone a gift for a special occasion just showing them how much their appreciated.How hard can that be to do??Men who complain about stuff like that shouldn't be in a relationship and women should avoid them at all cost.
Some men will use any excuse to NOT do anything on any special occasion.And no...it doesn't have to be expensive either...
If a guy didn't do anything for a special occasion then I could see how the woman would feel hurt about that..

Old 08-25-2018, 11:39 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Nearly all the rest are mutual. No, you don't get a gift back when you give someone a birthday present, that is just weird. Doghouse: sure, or you've chosen to be with someone spoiled. Or if you live in 1955. Just because: NOT a requirement. It is just to be nice and I like to do this for my husband.
Giving gifts is FUN!

Old 08-25-2018, 11:44 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Giving gifts is FUN!
It is. You see the person's face light up...because it feels good to be thought of...watching that is priceless.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:49 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
For discussion purposes, is it wrong for women to expect men to give them flowers, take them out on special occasions (birthday, V day, etc), buy them presents? And then get their feelings hurt if it doesn't happen?
No, it is not 'wrong'.

However if you expect gifts, and he fails to give you gifts, and you get hurt feelings over it, that is 'wrong'.

Men and women think differently. Each of us has a list of expectations going into a relationship. Before we can expect the other person to know what we expect, we must explain it to the other person.

Tell him, in plain language, what you want and when you want it. Say I expect a gift on V day every year. Then he will know that it is important to you.

Getting mad at him, when you have not explained this to him, is wrong.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:16 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Every person is different. It's not a bad thing, the problem is is that most men can't read minds to know ahead of time that gift giving is one of your stronger love languages.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:24 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Exactly. I have never met a single person who celebrates or expects anything out of Sweetest Day. Hallmark tried to make it a thing for a while, but it didn't catch on.

I love to find gifts for my loved ones. Tracking down something I know that they'd like and maybe would never get for themselves is fun, and it's gratifying to see their faces light up. Thoughtfulness is mutual in a relationship. If someone is making selfish demands or is completely thoughtless that's usually pretty easy to spot early on, long before marriage would even be on the table.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:47 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
This is the first time I've ever heard of sweetest day.

Nothing says I never think about you, I don't care whether or not you are happy, you aren't important to me, like ignoring birthdays, Christmas, anniversery.

Men receive gifts for no reason, too. Maybe not flowers, but something special cooked for dinner, his new underwear or new shirts because he refuses to shop for it himself, maybe his vacation designed and booked for him because he won't do it for himself, things brought back from shopping trips for him like a new video picked up while in town. Just because it doesn't get gift wrapped doesn't mean it is not a gift.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:54 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
I’m not real big into gifts because I’m very anti-materialism. However, when I give a creative gift that hits it out of the Park, that feels great.

One time I gave my NKY crush a gift of a donation to a local hospital in her area in her honor. I didn’t know that hospital treated her baby brother before she died so she was reduced to tears by my gift. It was the one time in my dating life I was 100% on the money and it felt good to give a gift that touched her.

When I get my diploma from grad school this week, I’m going to mail it to my mother as a gift. I can’t wait to hear her reaction as the first person in her family to have a Masters.

Not big on gifts but making my loved ones light up with my creativity is awesome. I’d never date anyone who expected gifts frequently .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships