Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times

Advertisements

I'm not into gushing about relationships on social media. Like I'll talk shmoopy talk about my beloved partner with friends, occasionally here (because duh it's a RELATIONSHIPS forum) but I use Facebook mostly for funny stuff, or cool videos of weird art or interesting travel destinations, things that captivated my attention and I assume at least most of my friends would also enjoy. Cat videos! I don't like to be too "real" on Facebook.

Different vibe, with different social media. But that's just me. Not my job to tell others how to use theirs.

When it comes to referring to your partner as a God/dess...just in general though? Well. It depends, doesn't it? Are you being sweet but not serious? Just an endearment? OK. Are you in some kind of consensual power dynamic? People like to do that sort of thing. It's basically roleplay, that. If both of you are actually cool with it, then more power to ya. But if you are putting someone on a pedestal to worship when what they truly want is for you to step up and be their equal partner, then you might be expecting them to conform to an ideal, fit in a container made of your fantasized image of them, that they didn't consent to live in for you. That can be unhealthy. And I am aware of a long term power dynamic (BDSM) relationship where a woman left a rigorous church and immediately got with a "Master" and she pretty much worships him as a God. I personally believe that she pins way too much of her identity upon her relationship with him, and has transferred some questionable mental structures and habits from her religious days onto this man, which is not healthier in the slightest. If there is conflict between them, she seems to throw herself utterly under the bus, anything at all to keep his favor. THAT is...just... I don't think it's good. But she won't hear any criticism of this relationship.

There are healthy and unhealthy ways to do darn near anything, I think.

But hey. Grown-arse adults, none of my business really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
If you don't want to see the posts, just unfollow him. I did that to a person who consistently posted a subject I wasn't fond of. They can't see you've done that and it brings peace of mind if it's something you're uncomfortable with.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:11 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm saying, why are you FB friends with him in the first place? If you for whatever reason don't want to unfriend him why don't you just hide his posts? FB moves fast, you have to go to a person's wall and scroll down to see everything or even most of just one person posts. I find this even with only 50 Friends and on Private (I literally am only Friends with either family members of people I know personally, and like).
I actually did unfollow him a few weeks ago. Got sick of seeing it. I was just sharing what's pertinent to the topic. Don't judge so quickly. ;-)

Old 09-10-2018, 09:33 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
It is a post on Facebook, where pretty much everything is ridiculous, absurd, over-exaggerated, and built up way bigger than it truly is in reality.

He is just trying to show his love and interest in her thru a little harmless exaggeration. If he had posted "my sort of cute but homely with a too big nose and huge wart on her left cheek girlfriend got a job..." it might have been more honest but certainly would not have had a good affect.

I am kind of surprised you found an individual commenting about their life on FB between all the political meme's and advertisement clutter on social media.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:54 AM

10 posts, read 4,284 times
Nauseating.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooboo12 View Post
Nauseating.
This and codependent as .

Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,714,545 times
Could mean anything. It's Facebook, where people love to show off.

If somebody was getting on my nerves, I'd just hide them.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
It might be even some "ironic" game they play with each other - she's his goddess and he is her Prince. Who's to say how seriously they take a pet name? There's no need to read a lot into it and, why is it anyone's business anyway? Everything seems to be an excuse to pick at others and bring them down when who even knows what's behind it.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:38 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
I see nothing codependent about using a pet name for a SO. I also try not to judge people and their relationships based on what they call their SO, especially on social media.

Exception would be calling the other "bi&#h or a@@h**e or something similar.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:24 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
I think the more concerning thing is that there are apparently a number of people who do not understand what "codependent" means.

Codependent means that he is enabling her in some bad habit or addiction or negative way of life.

Are you guys thinking that by calling her a Goddess the person is enabling her in this manner? How, exactly? Unless she is mentally ill and actually thinks she is Athena or something, that is not codependency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships