Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Before even considering more dates, I'd find out if he has an arrest record. He just seems weird.

Thats seems like a good idea but not sure how to do that. I know I asked if he drank, and he said he drinks socially, and smokes pot "some times". The last guy I dated was a drunk.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:14 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,466,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Maybe his mom is busy and can't drive them on their next date.

I know its unusual setup and most of the time you'd be advised not to pursue.

I'm just thinking of my own experience. My career is flexible enough that I can work from home (probably at reduced pay) if I did consulting too. And if a dear family member had lived longer, I absolutely would have asked him to move-in with me or moved-in with him. In the final years of his life, he was always the 'nominal' head of his household but I lived nearly 1/3 of time at his home -- cleaning, cooking meals, doctors appointments, balancing checkbook, etc anyway.

Also, at first I thought about OP's date playing video games for long periods of time at 47 is a red flag too. But then I thought about it.... In the past year and half, (on average) how many hours a week have I spent on CD/CDr? I then quickly humbled myself.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:15 PM

128,997 posts, read 11,938,836 times
follow your gut.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:20 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,111,706 times
You said he doesn't own a car. I would be curious about whether that's because he just uses his mom's car and therefore doesn't think he needs his own car or whether there was some other reason why he doesn't have a car. Like for example, did he get too many DUIs and decided to sell his car at some point in the past?

Also I would find out exactly how he helps his mom. Like does he do yard work and take out the trash and fix stuff when it breaks? Because if he doesn't do any of that stuff and his mom basically just does it all then that's just wrong on so many levels.

I'm pretty curious by nature so I'd probably want to ask him about that stuff before totally writing him off.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:22 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,613,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post

I know its unusual setup and most of the time you'd be advised not to pursue.

I'm just thinking of my own experience. My career is flexible enough that I can work from home (probably at reduced pay) if I did consulting too. And if a dear family member had lived longer, I absolutely would have asked him to move-in with me or moved-in with him. In the final years of his life, he was always the 'nominal' head of his household but I lived nearly 1/3 of time at his home -- cleaning, cooking meals, doctors appointments, balancing checkbook, etc anyway.

Also, at first I thought about OP's date playing video games for long periods of time at 47 is a red flag too. But then I thought about it.... In the past year and half, (on average) how many hours a week have I spent on CD/CDr? I then quickly humbled myself.
It's true that we all have some leisure time and should be able to spend it as we please. However, if we can't manage to do our own laundry, what with the demands of our part-time job with zero commute, then a bit too much time is being spent at leisure.

20,707 posts, read 19,883,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamfury1 View Post
Yes, I know. Thats another thing that I would say is a red flag. 47yo and never married.
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
My friend is in his 50s and never been married. He also has not been living with his mommy since he was 15. He works full-time in a stable, well-paying profession, owns his own home (has since a young age) and does his own laundry and takes care of himself, all by himself. He's just ardently independent, never wanted kids or marriage and has no trouble finding female company. He's a catch who does not want to be caught.
yup, you proved OPs point. Red flag.

Besides video games and living with mommy.

Run, OP, run!

8,920 posts, read 7,693,227 times
You have all the information you need to make a decision, just take your reproductive organs out of the equation.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:25 PM

23,165 posts, read 26,122,269 times
Just realize that even if you get him to leave mommy, he'll probably expect you to replace her

Old 09-10-2018, 02:25 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,260,493 times
Beware the self employed consultant IT or otherwise
It’s a code phrase for long time no job
Many a worthless wasted relationship based on good chemistry and good looks

Old 09-10-2018, 02:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,550,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamfury1 View Post
Thats seems like a good idea but not sure how to do that. I know I asked if he drank, and he said he drinks socially, and smokes pot "some times". The last guy I dated was a drunk.

In my county you can look it up online. "Arrest records, XXX county".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.