Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 10:04 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Tabula would have been a deal breaker for me for wanting children at such a late age. I once dated a 40 year old that was still itchin for kids because she didn't have any. Her break up with me was the same reason she had a break up with her previous 45 year old boyfriend.

I knew of a 50 year old that had a 25 year old daughter, and a 6 year old son. (She had her son mid-40s). Dunno what some women's obsession with having kids at such a late age.
Why does it even matter? Their business, their life, their choice. If dudes can father children, without the stigma, "late in life," women can, if they want to and are able.

And y'all need to brush up on current research and data. There are risks associated with being APA. Similar to the risks of being "AMA," and these are increased risks, not absolute risks. Even with elevated risks, most women, even those 35+, go on to have babies with a healthy set of chromosomes. There are more babies with trisomies born to younger mothers because there are more younger mothers having babies. However, their risks are not eliminated for being younger. They're simply lower than the "AMA" demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 03:40 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This is a personal observation only and I'm quite sure that there will be a screaming hoard of women who will disagree eith me, but......

Before I met my present husband I had a rather promiscuous lifestyle and my opinion is that men who have been snipped lose more than just the ability to have kids. While its true that I did not engage in any "before and after" studies on the topic, it was bad enough that I swore I would NEVER have another intimate relationship with a man who had been fixed. Ergo, it would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

Can you elaborate on that while keeping it still PG-13?

Old 09-19-2018, 03:50 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
More likely these were older men who would have experienced the same dysfunction regardless.
They have pills for that anyway. They are probably talking about 30 years ago. Women dry up, there's lube for that too. Modern medicine is AWESOME

Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
I'm 63 - it would not be a deal breaker for me. :-)

Old 09-19-2018, 04:43 PM

20,360 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Um, just wanna say, I've been with a few guys who had vasectomies, including my ex (for like 10+ years after he had his done) and it doesn't affect function or libido in the slightest.

Antidepressants will have more effect on a guy's sexual ability, as will alcohol, MJ, blood pressure, etc.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:07 AM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This is a personal observation only and I'm quite sure that there will be a screaming hoard of women who will disagree eith me, but......

Before I met my present husband I had a rather promiscuous lifestyle and my opinion is that men who have been snipped lose more than just the ability to have kids. While its true that I did not engage in any "before and after" studies on the topic, it was bad enough that I swore I would NEVER have another intimate relationship with a man who had been fixed. Ergo, it would definitely be a deal breaker for me.
This sounds beyond ridiculous to me. Please provide some medical background information please. I couldn't imagine how from a medical perspective sniping that one tiny small tube can cause such horrors in a woman's sexual experience with a man.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This sounds beyond ridiculous to me. Please provide some medical background information please. I couldn't imagine how from a medical perspective sniping that one tiny small tube can cause such horrors in a woman's sexual experience with a man.

I agree, Chowhound.

Vasectomies can be successfully reversed if a guy changes his mind.
Just a tidbit to keep in mind.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:04 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
For the record I am 32 and happily married, but not wanting kids had a vasectomy. I know that is quite unusual for a man my age but I am curious, for women that are or around my age if you met an otherwise great guy you liked that had had one would you consider it a deal breaker, full stop?
I had my vasectomy done at 36 but at 22 I had already decided that I did not want anymore children

Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y4nh4w53 View Post
That's interesting that you waited so long, is there a reason?
I didn't meet my spouse till I was 35 and he was 40.

We got married on my 37th birthday, and I was a couple of weeks pregnant with our oldest by my 38th birthday/our 1st anniversary. We really didn't wait very long at all. We just happened to meet older.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 09-21-2018 at 09:38 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 09:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Tabula would have been a deal breaker for me for wanting children at such a late age. I once dated a 40 year old that was still itchin for kids because she didn't have any. Her break up with me was the same reason she had a break up with her previous 45 year old boyfriend.

I knew of a 50 year old that had a 25 year old daughter, and a 6 year old son. (She had her son mid-40s). Dunno what some women's obsession with having kids at such a late age.
My husband was in the same boat as me.

We were both people who ultimately wanted to be parents and always had, but neither of us had been in relationships with anybody who were really good candidates for coparenting, until we met one another and got serious.

We knew it was not a given that we could even have biological kids, and we discussed early on that if fertility was a closed door, we would foster/adopt versus go the fertility treatment route. Turned out, fertility was absolutely not a concern. Both pregnancies, we conceived within two cycles of trying to conceive. Happily, our path was smooth. Door is still open for fostering.

Would I have stayed with somebody with incompatible thoughts on children? Of course not. Nor would my spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships