Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

Before my current bf, I hadn't been in many relationships. I was mostly involved in flings that would last about 3 weeks on average. I actually thought i was going to end up single but I had learned to love being single and wouldn't mind it at all.

I've been with my bf about six months (which is phenomenal for me). It didn't feel like we had much development with the relationship. It's not that it went too fast.. it just felt like he was going to be my bf from the beginning.. he acted like bf material and we instantly clicked.

We're both very busy.. both have two jobs so we only see each other about 1-2x a week. We've been on vacations together, said ILY and talked about meeting each other's family. It all feels fine and I like dating him. Content is a good word that may describe it.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say I've "settled". Because settling is when you're only with someone because you don't want to be single. I've done that. This isn't it. I guess I'm posting because I still think about being single from time to time. It's not that I want to date other men.. I actually lost my sex drive and he has brought it back up. The more time we spend together, the more we like each other, it seems. But I noticed that I still think about browsing dating apps just for fun... I have an itch to read the personals.. not because I'm looking for anybody in particular.. but I think I miss the feeling of being single. Being single felt dark, mysterious, sexy.. being in a relationships feels homely, cute, cuddly.. though I know some people on here may disagree.. hah..

I've thought about breaking up with him because I felt guilty about having these thoughts. But I don't know what the reason would even be... it's not like I would start dating if we broke up... I'm too busy honestly.. and the dating scene sucks.. haha.. I would probably go back to being on my own and enjoy being single.. but is that a good reason to break up with someone you still like? I used to date a lot of *******s so it didn't feel like a loss to cut them out of my life.. but this guy is different.. he has a good heart.. he genuinely cares about people.. and he's good to me. And I don't want him out of my life. But then why am I having these wandering thoughts? I do have ADD but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it? I do wonder about a lot of things but the chances of me acting on every single thought is very unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:32 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
You’re just not ⚙️ geared for long term relationships. I believe I pointed this out many years ago.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It's very normal.

There's often a "grass is greener" mentality when you're settled into a relationship, but it would be idiotic to throw it away because of this.

Commitment is a CHOICE. It's not a magic spell. It's a conscious decision you make every day to choose being with your partner over anyone else. So if you do love him, be smart and keep that promise.

I remember from your other posts how miserable you've been. This time things are actually going well. Don't squander that.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:06 PM

553 posts, read 302,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
Before my current bf, I hadn't been in many relationships. I was mostly involved in flings that would last about 3 weeks on average. I actually thought i was going to end up single but I had learned to love being single and wouldn't mind it at all.

I've been with my bf about six months (which is phenomenal for me). It didn't feel like we had much development with the relationship. It's not that it went too fast.. it just felt like he was going to be my bf from the beginning.. he acted like bf material and we instantly clicked.

We're both very busy.. both have two jobs so we only see each other about 1-2x a week. We've been on vacations together, said ILY and talked about meeting each other's family. It all feels fine and I like dating him. Content is a good word that may describe it.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say I've "settled". Because settling is when you're only with someone because you don't want to be single. I've done that. This isn't it. I guess I'm posting because I still think about being single from time to time. It's not that I want to date other men.. I actually lost my sex drive and he has brought it back up. The more time we spend together, the more we like each other, it seems. But I noticed that I still think about browsing dating apps just for fun... I have an itch to read the personals.. not because I'm looking for anybody in particular.. but I think I miss the feeling of being single. Being single felt dark, mysterious, sexy.. being in a relationships feels homely, cute, cuddly.. though I know some people on here may disagree.. hah..

I've thought about breaking up with him because I felt guilty about having these thoughts. But I don't know what the reason would even be... it's not like I would start dating if we broke up... I'm too busy honestly.. and the dating scene sucks.. haha.. I would probably go back to being on my own and enjoy being single.. but is that a good reason to break up with someone you still like? I used to date a lot of *******s so it didn't feel like a loss to cut them out of my life.. but this guy is different.. he has a good heart.. he genuinely cares about people.. and he's good to me. And I don't want him out of my life. But then why am I having these wandering thoughts? I do have ADD but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it? I do wonder about a lot of things but the chances of me acting on every single thought is very unlikely.
Yes its normal. It happens to me.

There will be days you will be totally in love with your partner, and other days when you are just best friends, and other days when you can't stand him. Its all normal.

When you start to want to feel single, flirt with your partner. It keeps things fun and romantic.

Happy for you and your new long term relationship.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I suspect you are just looking for the attention and affirmation.

Everyone enjoys that, but that is shallow and unsatisfying in the long run. It has no meaning besides stroking your ego.

Everyone has to choose what is important to them. Be honest, and act accordingly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-19-2018, 10:08 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
You can send that good guy over my way. I’ll take him and treat him well.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:49 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
It took several years of being married for me to adjust to the new normal. Up till then, I’d enjoyed flirtations with numerous men and a different kind of social life. You don’t change over night.

If you remain happy in your relationship and it develops in a way that suits both of you, you’ll gradually lose the habit of looking at other options.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:41 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I suspect you are just looking for the attention and affirmation.

Everyone enjoys that, but that is shallow and unsatisfying in the long run. It has no meaning besides stroking your ego.

Everyone has to choose what is important to them. Be honest, and act accordingly.
So, the winning relationship style for you is to ignore your partner and never say anything positive about them? You must be fun.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:47 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
So, the winning relationship style for you is to ignore your partner and never say anything positive about them? You must be fun.

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion?

My comment was in regard to her wanting to go online to dating sites.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-20-2018, 10:51 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

I would bet that Mikala meant craving affirmation from OTHER people. The excitement of receiving attention from other guys. And, she'd be right. THAT'S shallow and the pay-off is fleeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships