Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 06:44 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
The problem with this scenario is that people attend a business networking event to make professional contacts. If you start hitting on women at these things, you'll become known as the creepy guy who hits on women at professional networking events. It could possibly even damage your professional reputation. Stick to singles events for picking up chicks.
Thisssssssss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
There's no designated "dating scene" (whatever that means) requirement to meet people.

People come up with every reason under the sun how every little scenario out in public is some kind of problem.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Whenever I am at a networking event talking to women. They would casually bring up their "boyfriend" or "husband" into the conversation. They're just letting you know just in case you were wondering.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:02 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
The problem with this scenario is that people attend a business networking event to make professional contacts. If you start hitting on women at these things, you'll become known as the creepy guy who hits on women at professional networking events. It could possibly even damage your professional reputation. Stick to singles events for picking up chicks.
Bad advice. Attractive single Women don't go to "singles events".

Old 09-22-2018, 10:10 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Bad advice. Attractive single Women don't go to "singles events".

Huh. Why not? I guess my hunch is, attractive single women don't NEED to go to singles events because they have an easy enough time getting dates conventionally. Even if in-person interactions are difficult, such a woman should have her pick of possible matches on dating sites.

That anywhere near the mark?

Old 09-22-2018, 10:20 AM

867 posts, read 722,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
Huh. Why not? I guess my hunch is, attractive single women don't NEED to go to singles events because they have an easy enough time getting dates conventionally. Even if in-person interactions are difficult, such a woman should have her pick of possible matches on dating sites.

That anywhere near the mark?

Unless my exBF (who is very picky about women) and my friends are completely wrong about my appearance, this seems to be not universally true.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Whenever I am at a networking event talking to women. They would casually bring up their "boyfriend" or "husband" into the conversation. They're just letting you know just in case you were wondering.
They remind me of the Peggy Hill character personslity on King of the Hill.

Artificially high opinion of herself and thinks she's way more attractive than she is.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Yikes! Trying to get numbers at a career networking event...wrong, wrong, and wrong in so many ways. If someone tried to get my number at a career networking event, he would be deleted from my professional contacts immediately. Not cool, not professional, and as it gets around, and it will as people talk, you risk becoming the pariah.

It also is indicative of an attitude that female professionals are looking to get picked up at professional events. It's sexist.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:55 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
Unless my exBF (who is very picky about women) and my friends are completely wrong about my appearance, this seems to be not universally true.

Well, nothing's universally true. 2+2=5 and all. Just wondering in general. I take it you have a hard time finding dates?

Old 09-22-2018, 11:29 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
There's no designated "dating scene" (whatever that means) requirement to meet people.

People come up with every reason under the sun how every little scenario out in public is some kind of problem.
That is a good point though.

I mean, I find a lot of women find reasons not to be approached in certain venues like the gym, the grocery store, etc.

"I"m not at at the gym to get hit on, I am there to work out" or "I'm not at the grocery store to get hit on, I"m there to shop and get the hell out" "I don't go to church to get a date, I'm there for worship" (For all you Christians out there, yeah, even they can't get a break, lol)

Basically, they put "I'm not at the <blank> to be hit on, so, <come up with real reason you're there>

My parents met at the beach, I mean, my mom could have said, "I'm not at the beach to get hit on, I'm there to enjoy the waves and scenery with my female friend".

It's a fallacy, as there is no such thing as a place to approach (or hit on) women. They use "hit on" as hyperbole though. I think I remember back before the internet, people were suggesting places back then to talk to women. Via volunteering, laundry mat, library/bookstore, church, etc.

Now with all this stranger danger stuff going on, it's just that much harder for women to approach women. Thus the invention of online dating was born!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships