Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:52 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I wasn't "forcing" anything as you put it. You weren't there for the conversation, so you have no idea what went on. I was just keeping it light. She simply isn't interested IN talking.
You start at least one thread a week here where you were talking to a woman at a Meetup and reveal all kinds of details about this woman's life to us, when you only just met. I don't think you keep it 'light' at all yet want to brush if off as not being attractive enough for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 07:57 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
I was just keeping it light.
I'm not sure you have a good grasp of how your interactions are coming off.

If you're communicating through FB, the frequency may be getting to her. If she gets a notification every time you ping back with a question, that can be very annoying.

People use social media differently, and they have different definitions of "friendship." She TOLD you she wants friends but obviously means it in more of an acquaintance way.

But you can turn it into a sour grapes thing if you want.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:00 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You start at least one thread a week here where you were talking to a woman at a Meetup and reveal all kinds of details about this woman's life to us, when you only just met. I don't think you keep it 'light' at all yet want to brush if off as not being attractive enough for her.
I have to reveal details, because people keep wanting more info to come to a conclusion, which is the nature of most message boards. Usually a back story is helpful, otherwise, you'll just get posters asking questions about the person you're interacting with to form an opinion.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:02 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

If you're communicating through FB, the frequency may be getting to her. If she gets a notification every time you ping back with a question, that can be very annoying.

People use social media differently, and they have different definitions of "friendship." She TOLD you she wants friends but obviously means it in more of an acquaintance way.

The frequency is few and far between actually. Like a couple per week. No biggie. If it was throughout the day or daily, then I could see how it would be annoying. Of course, SHE was the one that invited me to add her. So you'd think she'd be open to conversing, even though my conversations are rare with her.

Let me put it this way, this is the first time in a long time I had a woman react in such a fashion. Most are like an open book or at least open to saying something about themselvs.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
The frequency is few and far between actually. Like a couple per week. No biggie. If it was throughout the day or daily, then I could see how it would be annoying. Of course, SHE was the one that invited me to add her. So you'd think she'd be open to conversing, even though my conversations are rare with her.

Let me put it this way, this is the first time in a long time I had a woman react in such a fashion. Most are like an open book or at least open to saying something about themselvs.
Well, now you know. Live and learn. Try not to extrapolate it into anything other than one person's quirks bumping against another's.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:25 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
I might react the same way as this woman if I thought someone was trying to hit on me, but needed to maintain civility. I'm not interested, please keep your distance.

By 'friends' she probably meant something more like 'friendly acquaintances from a distance'.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:01 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Exactly

Old 09-22-2018, 09:11 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I don't chat just to chat with someone I don't already know. When I get to know friends, it sparks in the beginning through already shared interests or activities, and that is what we talk about to start, and then we morph into other areas of our life. I never just chat with people in order to get to know them as friends. I do chat to men who I am interested in dating just to get to know them. There is a difference. Friends are more organic, dates are more forced.

Going forward, try to think about how you might talk/chat to a guy friend. That is how you should do it with her too.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,769,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLuce View Post
If I'm not interested in dating a guy that I recently met at a meetup and he asks me to hang out, I will typically ask him up front is this a date or are we just hanging out. This way we are all clear as to what is going on and where everyone stands and we can continue to be friends. I believe guys and girls can be friends if they just up front with each other.
I agree with this reply, but the bolded part in pink is not always true.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:39 AM

867 posts, read 722,859 times
I agree with those who say your conversations with her were too frequent or intense. It seems you were asking too many questions, which obviously turned her off.

This is my opinion as a 50something woman who has many platonic male friends--real friends, not just acquaintances, and not exBFs--with friendships that go back decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships