Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:14 AM

24 posts, read 27,946 times

Advertisements

They don’t have the latest iPhone. Instead of Living on their own, they’re still in school, working living with their parents in a small twin size child like bed. Even if they’re small enough for it why don’t you have a full set? Like you’re an adult lol. They don’t know how to drive or have a license. Take Uber’s and public transportation everywhere. They don’t have tattoos. Like is this really the best person to date. They seem lazy and not independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 10:18 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Depends on a lot of things, e.g. if they’re 15 or 60 years old. Not having the latest smartphone and sleeping on a twin bed isn’t a dealbreaker for me.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:45 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angieeee View Post
They don’t have the latest iPhone. Instead of Living on their own, they’re still in school, working living with their parents in a small twin size child like bed. Even if they’re small enough for it why don’t you have a full set? Like you’re an adult lol. They don’t know how to drive or have a license. Take Uber’s and public transportation everywhere. They don’t have tattoos. Like is this really the best person to date. They seem lazy and not independent.

Sounds like they are focused on finances and saving money for school...are they college aged?

I'd say that's a good person to consider dating...focused on their future perhaps.

When did tattoos and a smart phone become absolute necessities for dating???

Old 09-22-2018, 11:09 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
The latest iPhone?
Omg.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:28 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
Is the subject of this post male or female? If it's a boy, he'll be ready to date/find his wife in 5 years. If he never moves out of the parents nest, then many women will discard him as a lamer. It is the burden & responsibility of being male to be the Provider. If your daddy didn't teach you that by example, kick him in the nuts.

I've dated a woman with no car. No big deal, I have a car. No tattoos and college degree in progress, that's ideal. I will buy her an iPhone/Android for Christmas and she'll fit fine in my queen sized bed when I make her my wife.
In some cultures like latin/hispanic familes, it is very common for a young woman to live with her parents until she gets married.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:33 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,285 times
You know, a lot of what you describe fits me.

-I don't have the latest phone...phones are expensive, so as long as I have one that still fits my needs, I'll use it. If it breaks, or I find features on a new model that I would like better, I'll get a new one. (Have done both.)

-After college, circumstances brought me back to my hometown for work. I had a hard time finding a job, so I moved home and worked part time. Eventually I found one in my hometown. Worked full-time. But student loans are hell, so I lived at home past the age of what society would deem to be appropriate. It was a source of shame for me, just like you're implying with this hypothetical person you're describing ("Who would date this loser, lol?")

-I slept on a twin-sized bed. I wanted to sleep on a queen or larger, but there was no room for that size bed, and I didn't want to spend money on a full-size bed that I would later want to get rid of to buy something bigger. So, twin it was. Hated every minute of it. The first thing I bought when I got my own place? Nice, new, queen mattress and bed.

-I can drive and I do have a vehicle.

-I don't have any tattoos. Never had any piercings. Don't want any.

-I am (nor was) neither lazy nor dependent. I work hard, I paid "rent" to my mother, I helped with bills, I did my own laundry, I did my part to keep things cleaned up, I'd help with groceries and meals (though I'm not much of a cook). It was still a major stigma for me, a source of anxiety that held me back from trying to date for many years. (Not the only thing. But it was a big one.)

So what say you? Is such a person worth dating? Seems like you're going out of your way to shame someone (and aren't you engaged, anyways?)

Old 09-22-2018, 11:37 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
How old is he or she?

I don't have the latest iPhone. I have the 6, because it still works perfectly, does like ten zillion fun things, and it was $700 which is plenty for me to swallow every few years. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere. I'm an adult, married with children, and we live in a beautiful area, are self-sufficient, take care of our needs, go on vacations, etc.

A couple other things could be indicators of an issue, or could just be the person still living at home in his/her original bedroom, unless this person is 35 or something.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Personally I don't think I would be dating some one that has tattoos , shown a lack of respect for their body .
Living with ones parent is not shameful seeing there are one's parents .
Sleeping in a bed that fits them is not impractical , probably don't horse around either. that's a good thing.
A simple life is got less baggage less stress ,usually.
I would be more concerned with their intelligence ,and life goals , than driving and falsely impressing others with flash.

if these things bother your move on. you need the flash and this will only frustrate you .

Old 09-22-2018, 12:34 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Is this serious? I didn't get a car until I needed one (took a job that wasn't in walking distance or on the bus line). What's the shame in that? Doesn't have the latest iPhone? Maybe the person is frugal? Maybe the person prefers Android? Maybe the person has no need for a smart phone at all. Why does someone need to have tattoos to meet your approval? Hardly any of this makes sense to me, but if those things are dealbreakers to you, then maybe you should decline to date the person.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:51 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Really? Not having the latest iPhone or any tattoos is somehow a negative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships