Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This. You don't just decide....
Exactly. It's not like you have complete control over the matter. It takes two to tango, and you may not meet your tango partner until you're 40. It's not something you can plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 PM

888 posts, read 555,102 times
I had chances to settle down in my 20's, but had no desire to. In my 30's I wasn't sure if I would want to get married. I knew it would take someone fantastic with the same ideas as me to give up being single. I did get married and we have been married for ages. If my son ever asks when he gets older, I would encourage him to not get married in your 20's. You change so much during those years.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:17 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
I always advocate people do what is best for them for a few reasons:

You don't decide when you fall for someone.

You don't decide someone else's feelings for you.

There are many other factors that come into play when thinking about settling down with someone.

You don't decide when/if that person comes into your life.

Life can throw curveballs at any moment.

So you just live and let the chips fall where they may. Just be prudent, cautious, and discerning.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I kind of take exception to the idea “you can’t control when it happens and you can’t control your heart.” Okay you might not control catching feelings but you can decide whether or not to pursue those feelings.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:24 PM

408 posts, read 430,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
For women it's different from men. Women have the issue of fertility and the major decline in their looks coming as they approach 30. So most women I've known tend to want to be married or at least in a serious relationship before that point. Most women in their 30s I've seen are desperate for a serious relationship with the potential for marriage and if they're over 40 it's near hopeless. You simply just do not have as long to wait as a woman if you want marriage and a family.

For men, well we have a very long time to wait. Most men in modern times don't hit our financial stride until our 30s and finances are what makes men most attractive to women. Men's looks also don't really decline much in our 30s (or sometimes even improve).

My parents actually were with each other in high school and got married in their early 20s but times have changed and I know very few couples where this happens with today. Most tend to be in their late 20s at the youngest.

I don't think it's a good idea to get married before 24 either way as people under that age tend to still want to have fun and enjoy the benefits of the single, young life. I've watched countless peers who married young end up divorced or in miserable marriages. I think people who marry under 24 in modern times feel that they've missed on a lot of living and regret it later on.
The only thing I'd say is men in their 30s still have to think about the age of their partner if they want kids. For example, I went on yesterday with a guy who was 36 (I'm 27 almost 28). He has a six-figure job and he's good looking in my book and yet he brought up within about 30 minutes that he wants to be married by 40 and have kids by then. This felt really bizarre considering it was our first date. He also asked at one point if someone "my age" would consider dating someone "his age" which sort of tells me that he's not getting dates with tons of girls in their 20s. For me personally, 36 isn't too old necessarily but having a boyfriend who is 39 or 40 would be something I'd have to consider and figure out how to explain to my mother. If I was 30+ it would be no problem. It's silly it's just a few years of difference but a big part of it is perception.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:25 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
None of my friends in my 20s, save one, married in their 20s. Most that did marry did so mid to late 30s, and kids (if they had any) late 30s to 40s. The one that married in their 20s didn't have such good luck. None that married in their mid 30s or later have separated.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:26 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
For women it's different from men. Women have the issue of fertility and the major decline in their looks coming as they approach 30. So most women I've known tend to want to be married or at least in a serious relationship before that point. Most women in their 30s I've seen are desperate for a serious relationship with the potential for marriage and if they're over 40 it's near hopeless. You simply just do not have as long to wait as a woman if you want marriage and a family.

For men, well we have a very long time to wait. Most men in modern times don't hit our financial stride until our 30s and finances are what makes men most attractive to women. Men's looks also don't really decline much in our 30s (or sometimes even improve).

My parents actually were with each other in high school and got married in their early 20s but times have changed and I know very few couples where this happens with today. Most tend to be in their late 20s at the youngest.

I don't think it's a good idea to get married before 24 either way as people under that age tend to still want to have fun and enjoy the benefits of the single, young life. I've watched countless peers who married young end up divorced or in miserable marriages. I think people who marry under 24 in modern times feel that they've missed on a lot of living and regret it later on.
So what’s the point of getting married if your wife is going to lose her looks as she approaches 30 while you’re still going to be some stud?

Old 09-24-2018, 02:28 PM

1,178 posts, read 684,935 times
Quote:

Right. Because 30 is soooo old, and she just won’t look the same!

I look fitter, trimmer, and hotter than I looked in my 20s, hands down. I am also getting a heckuva lot more male attention.

It is all about taking care of yourself. This “30 is your looks death” attitude on here is ridiculous.

I know a legitimately smokin hot 48 year old woman. She is an endurance athlete. And I know some not-so-smokin 18 year olds.

Just FTR. Men’s looks do decline as well.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:28 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So what’s the point of getting married if your wife is going to lose her looks as she approaches 30 while you’re still going to be some stud?
Wait a min., people loose their looks at the age of 30? That's quite far from the truth. Hell, I've seen 40 year olds run circles around 20-somethings. lol

Old 09-24-2018, 02:30 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
Right. Because 30 is soooo old, and she just won’t look the same!

I look fitter, trimmer, and hotter than I looked in my 20s, hands down. I am also getting a heckuva lot more male attention.

It is all about taking care of yourself. This “30 is your looks death” attitude on here is ridiculous.

I know a legitimately smokin hot 48 year old woman. She is an endurance athlete. And I know some not-so-smokin 18 year olds.

Just FTR. Men’s looks do decline as well.
These dudes are just trollin' man. lol Sometimes it's hard to believe that they even believe what they're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships