Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:43 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ya know, this makes me glad that I'm past the dating age (or long time married, take your pick) and don't have to put up with this.

That said, if I were to be back in the game looking for a woman with which to spend time I really doubt I'd go the online route.

Seriously! Be glad you're married. But I don't think this is limited to online dating because my own brother said the exact same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 AM

61,716 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I know all you ladies will want to jump in here and start screaming at me (lol) but this question is for the guys.

I am starting to see this more and more on the dating site.... single guys who are saying that relationships are fine but that they want to be friends first. What the hell does that mean? I want to hear this from the guys perspective. Explain exactly what they mean since I am seeing this more?
Friends first is a normal approach in most countries. Obviously not in the US.
People are friends first, and then gradually become exclusive. The reality is that when friends become lovers the shift in their emotions is usually gradual. In fact, it's so subtle they don't even notice it's happening until the moment a kindly hug becomes loaded with intention.
Just think of it like foreplay. Of course not every close friendship will develop into romance, but the time you're being friends, you're learning about each other. Subconsciously you're deciding whether you can take it further, from a friendship on to a more emotional and sexual level.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Quote:
Non-sexual platonic? Hmmmmm.......
In my opinion.. while a guy CAN be platonic friends with a woman. If she is attractive, he is still having sexual thoughts about her occassionally.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
In my opinion.. while a guy CAN be platonic friends with a woman. If she is attractive, he is still having sexual thoughts about her occassionally.

Yeah well how would I know that? I'm a woman.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:51 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, without a doubt.

Quote:
You'll just have to trust me.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
There are like 200+questions. It took me 2 hours to initially set up my profile.
Yikes!

Quote:
eharmony...But it is much more interesting to view profiles of people who answer these questions. You get a lot more information, and not quite as many games.

You may want to look into that site. It is uncanny how good my girlfriend and I get along.
Interesting. I might check it out (when I feel up to answering 200 questions).

Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
I don't want casual sex, I want to fall in love too but specifically saying "friends first" makes me think of all sorts of things that I don't like, like FWB or maybe they are asexual and trying to hide it, or maybe they don't want to take me out on dates and just want to chill at the house like brother and sister...and more that I won't go on with.
I think adding 'friends first' is a poor tactic. IMO stating 'interested in LTR' is fully sufficient. 'LTR' implies sex at a future date. Meet the person and ask them about their intentions. Leave if you don't like the answer.

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
That is a possibility but they make it a point to say the "relationships are fine" part. I've encountered around 3 guys so far who've said it like this so far.

Yeah, it's still confusing really.

What we're dealing with here is a lack of firing synapses in between the ears. Not you, your confusion is understandable, from this "friends first stuff. Women do it a lot to. Most folks on dating sites aren't looking for friends .From my experience with that online dating felgercarb (as a man of course) the response I got revolved around hookup sex the greatest percentage of the time. This "friends first" stuff seems to be some kind of code for f*** buddy or fast satisfaction and then never to be seen or heard from again. That's why I gave up with online dating. The old fashioned way of meeting someone has worked better for me.

It's been a LONG time since I used any online dating site. Back around 2012. I gave it a shot for ...oh...maybe 2 or 3 months or so. Every connection I made that said "friends first" worked out as I described above. I don't think men advertising thus are any different. Just my opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh yeah, without a doubt.

You'll just have to trust me.
I also interpret that to mean that he does not want to take me out on dates or be romantic. What about that?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Quote:
Well, now you know

It is impossible not to, from a guy's standpoint. He will be checking you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships