Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 07:50 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
If you grew up in a relatively healthy family, you can remember how everyone contributed to keeping things going.
I remember that and miss it dearly. The people who helped make it happen for me are all gone now, and the idea of rebuilding with a new person, an unknown quantity, is too much of a leap into the dark for me even to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 PM

61,681 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I agree, but there is a reason why men feel that sex is a give get situation. it's because women tend to be more guarded about when sex happens. you don't really have to set the mood with most guys.

Women are less likely to want sex when stressed about other things, for a man stressed about other things the sex makes him LESS stressed about those other things.

The fact that women reject more sex than men get offered is why we feel that women value sex less than we do.

Sex is often used as a "tool" to give or withhold, or manipulate with, to get what one wants out of their spouse.
A weapon to punish, or reward, or both.
Men usually don't care if their wives were mad at them, they still want sex. However, women often will use sex as weapon to get what they want or to reiterate when they're angry.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Like the pun in the thread title!

Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sex is often used as a "tool" to give or withhold, or manipulate with, to get what one wants out of their spouse.
A weapon to punish, or reward, or both.
Men usually don't care if their wives were mad at them, they still want sex. However, women often will use sex as weapon to get what they want or to reiterate when they're angry.
Too funny! I said before, that I have absolutely no interest in sex; my libido is nonexistent. Which means my hypothetical wife would have no leverage over me. Any sex would be strictly a goodwill gesture on my part, for her sake. And if she were to withhold sex from me, I'd be glad and relieved not to do it. My response to her would be "Challenge accepted!" Of course, she'd lose the challenge.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:07 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
OP has made the argument for men who don't want to get married out of fear they will get less sex after they marry, and it may stop altogether. Yes, men expect a regular supply of sex after they get married, and will be unhappy if it diminishes.

Same for women. Women expect a regular supply of sex after they get married, and will be unhappy if it diminishes.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I know it sounds sexist but it helps if she can cook. "There's only one think she can make for dinner: reservations!"
I loathe cooking. If he can cook, he becomes waaaay attractive to me.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:39 PM

399 posts, read 220,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Women know this, and this works both ways. So it's not unheard of for women to try to lock down a "good" man with sex. However, there's sex and there's sex. The former is the passionate, chandelier-swinging sex women have with desirable men; the latter is apathetic, duty-like sex women have with the rest, but like the stability of a relationships with them.

[...]

Oh, and sex? I currently have no libido to speak of, so it's a moot point.
I'm interested in how you learned about these two kinds of sex.

I haven't found passionate sex to be mutually exclusive with relationship stability.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 PM

399 posts, read 220,969 times
Oh, and to respond to the OP -

I have a cousin who married a woman after (I suspect) she started witholding sex until he got married to her.

She cheated on him within a year. (They're divorced)

Old 10-08-2018, 09:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 822,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
However, there's sex and there's sex. The former is the passionate, chandelier-swinging sex women have with desirable men; the latter is apathetic, duty-like sex women have with the rest, but like the stability of a relationships with them.
So where does the long term couple who desire each other sit?

My husband and I are not the only couple who still swing from the chandelier when we feel like it, after decades of being teammates in life. I also slept with him on the first date, because we both wanted to, and it was fun. Stability and satisfying sex are not mutually exclusive.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:39 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Same for women. Women expect a regular supply of sex after they get married, and will be unhappy if it diminishes.

Then why does sex slow down after marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships