Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:34 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times

Advertisements

Hey, get her name on her name tag, and look her up on Facebook. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 10:41 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
That's creepy, dude, Lol.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
The name tags don't give the surname. There are thousands of "Nancy"-s, "Britney"-s, etc. out there.

Too bad; another not-so-brilliant idea crashes and burns.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:33 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
What's sad is, this is how our our parents and grand parents met each other. Of course, women back then were more eager to find companionship. Now women prefer to use social media to keep men at arm's length and not make eye contact in public.

I recall one time, and I wasn't even trying anything, was loading up my groceries onto the belt and a woman came up in line behind me. I said, "Hey, how's it going" with a nice smile on my face. She looks at me, doesn't say a word, then looks away. Didn't even say "Hi" back.

Then I thought ,"Yeah, society as tanked ,lol"
Would you have stopped bagging your groceries, to notice an old man in line behind you and smiled, asked "hey hows it goin'?" and waited for a response, then decided the response was memorable?

If the woman had responded, wouldn't you have taken the opportunity to then begin a conversation?
She sized you up, decided it was most likely you were "trying something" and decided it best to not say anything.

Maybe she personally is rude, but your posts indicate it is women who have made "society tank", and it's a woman's assumed position to keep men at arms's length.

What would you do if found out this is not the case?

Old 10-07-2018, 11:42 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Would you have stopped bagging your groceries, to notice an old man in line behind you and smiled, asked "hey hows it goin'?" and waited for a response, then decided the response was memorable?

If the woman had responded, wouldn't you have taken the opportunity to then begin a conversation?
She sized you up, decided it was most likely you were "trying something" and decided it best to not say anything.

Maybe she personally is rude, but your posts indicate it is women who have made "society tank", and it's a woman's assumed position to keep men at arms's length.

This. Women in every era have done this. They've always been open to finding companionship, but they've also always sized guys up. Many women, just like many men, decide at first glance whether or not someone is their "type". It has ever been thus. It's not a gendered behavior; it's common to most humans.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
My parents met in high school.

I've never been ignored in a check-out line, although I'll talk to anybody and everybody. My most recent convo was with with a dude who appeared to be in his 80s. He was trying a canned Margarita and we discussed our own Margarita recipes.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
What's sad is, this is how our our parents and grand parents met each other. Of course, women back then were more eager to find companionship. Now women prefer to use social media to keep men at arm's length and not make eye contact in public.

I recall one time, and I wasn't even trying anything, was loading up my groceries onto the belt and a woman came up in line behind me. I said, "Hey, how's it going" with a nice smile on my face. She looks at me, doesn't say a word, then looks away. Didn't even say "Hi" back.

Your smile may have seemed kind of predatory.

Yes, in the old days people might meet this way, but if the woman didn't like the approach, she'd easily be as "rude" as you're describing, especially if she sensed a come-on.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:

Keep men at arms length??? Some men, yes. Some, no. If you find yourself in one arena, then check thyself.

Society has tanked because she didn't want to talk to the guy in front of her oddly saying hi??????

You might think it's pleasant but we women know the "I'm going to talk to everyone & anyone especially at the grocery store" guy. They're like a beacon. You can see it coming a mile away.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:04 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:

Thisssssssssssssssssssssssss. This. And more this.

Although, it will be written off because we MUST be mistaken. LOL.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:15 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:

Just like Lovehound, I've struck up conversations with others as I'm a regular at the store. Usually with the staff. The customers vary of course. Hardly see the same ones twice.

I about busted a gut when someone thought my smile was "predatory"...exaggerate much?

Quote:
oddly saying hi
The bolded. Hyperbole much?

Quote:
but if the woman didn't like the approach
What's not to like about an approach. It's a neutral situation. If anything, a positive hello. Nothing more. Not sure why you're making it out more than it's suppose to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships