Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:19 AM

69 posts, read 24,328 times

Advertisements

The thing is, I didn't think she would see it as exciting news and would perhaps feel a little perplexed as to why I was crying over my wife as late as July and then in a new relationship a few weeks on. I know it seems strange but I just feel an amazing connection to this new partner of mine. We have both been through hard times and we know that we will face any obstacle together in the future. I feel very lucky to have met someone so soon after my separation. Someone who I know I will be with for a very long time.

I guess it wasn't embarrassment on my part, nor was it the fact that Emily would judge me, its just I didn't feel ready to tell her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 09:39 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueplanet123 View Post
The thing is, I didn't think she would see it as exciting news and would perhaps feel a little perplexed as to why I was crying over my wife as late as July and then in a new relationship a few weeks on. I know it seems strange but I just feel an amazing connection to this new partner of mine. We have both been through hard times and we know that we will face any obstacle together in the future. I feel very lucky to have met someone so soon after my separation. Someone who I know I will be with for a very long time.

I guess it wasn't embarrassment on my part, nor was it the fact that Emily would judge me, its just I didn't feel ready to tell her.
If I was your friend, I would not not talk to you anymore either. Crying over the wife in July and happily dating in August? Wow. Your grief must have been deep ... not.
She stood by you in your worst time .. or so she thought .. which now seems it wasn't that bad because it didn't even take you a month to get over the wife. Another story that proves how fast replacable people are. The bed was still warm, the tears still rolling down the cheeks but your mind is already so free that you are able to fall in love. I would feel used and like I wasted my time on you. You felt ready to date but you didn't feel ready to tell your friend. Hmm.

Good for you. I wish I was like that. I cry longer than two weeks about shorter relationships.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:45 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
The thing is, I didn't think she would see it as exciting news and would perhaps feel a little perplexed as to why I was crying over my wife as late as July and then in a new relationship a few weeks on.
A friend would understand and be happy for you. You never even gave her the opportunity.

Quote:
I know it seems strange but I just feel an amazing connection to this new partner of mine. We have both been through hard times and we know that we will face any obstacle together in the future. I feel very lucky to have met someone so soon after my separation. Someone who I know I will be with for a very long time.
So you have no need for Emily anymore. Except when you need a babysitter. You don't care about what she needs. And you don't see why it would bother her? Sorry, but you're a lousy friend.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:54 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
Quote:

Boy o boy, you don't know that yet. You're on the rebound and in honeymoon phase.

If it all goes pear-shape, don't count on Emily being there to dry your renewed tears.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:06 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Thoughts?
I don't know if she has romantic feelings for you but it certainly sounds like you took her for granted (and still are by having her babysit your child), and she probably feels used. You leaned on her quite heavily for a while, and then completely abandoned her when you got the new girlfriend.

I don't know if she has romantic feelings for you but it certainly sounds like you took her for granted (and still are by having her babysit your child), and she probably feels used. You leaned on her quite heavily for a while, and then completely abandoned her when you got the new girlfriend.

Quote:
Like I said, she can't expect me to keep up the level of contact we used to have but that doesn't mean I am not there do her if she needs me.
Only because you don't need her shoulder anymore?

Quote:
I can imagine she feels surprised but her reaction seemed upset/hostile and angry which in turn makes me feel a little annoyed as surely it isn't her place to judge me, only support?
Her place is to support you?? Get on with your selfish self.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Even if she doesn't have romantic feelings for you consider:

She was there for you even when she was going through a hard time. You went MIA from being there for her, said it was because of work, and she finds out you were lying and spending your time with someone new.

So you kinda dumped her, as a friend, as soon as someone new came along.

Just as a friend, she has reason to be upset with you IMO.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 AM

69 posts, read 24,328 times
Woah. Remember I was the one who got cheated on?
I deserve to be happy and I am not letting a good woman get away. I had months of emotional pain and now I am finally feeling my old self thanks to my partner.

I never ignored Emily. I just haven't been contacting her constantly like I was. I would hope she would understand that now I am in a better place, I am not as needy but she knows she can contact me anytime she needs. I have not abandoned her like it has been suggested and she was the one who offered to babysit.
As I said, I didn't tell her as I thought it would confuse her. I feel like I have cried all my tears over my ex and have got it out of my system. My plan now is to seek new things to forget the past. My partner and I have an understanding and a closeness which has developed from our past hurtful experiences. She makes me feel desirable and needed. The connection is insane and I feel so supported by her.
I would have told Emily in time, it just didn't feel right at this point.
If I wasn't confident about this relationship with my partner, I wouldn't be in it. When something feels right you go for it and at my age, I don't want to waste time. I believe this is my shot at happiness. I have been feeling down for so long but I have turned a corner now and feel very thankful to my partner for bringing me some happiness back. But feeling that doesn't make me a bad friend to Emily.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:22 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Your the one who said you went quiet on your friend for a month, and we only know what you tell us.

Keep in mind, for your own emotional health, that everyone seems wonderful at 2 months, doesn't mean they will at 8 months. You go in so hard, you will come down twice as hard if it doesn't work.

"I deserve happiness" is the usual cry from those who will step on others trying to get it, it comes across as very self centered.

When your wife had an affair, she may well have been thinking that very thing....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 10-05-2018 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-05-2018, 10:26 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Woah. Remember I was the one who got cheated on?
I deserve to be happy and I am not letting a good woman get away. I had months of emotional pain and now I am finally feeling my old self thanks to my partner.

You being cheated on has nothing to do with how you've treated Emily. Sure, you deserve to be happy, but Emily deserves a friend who honors the friendship all the time, not just when he needs a shoulder to cry on.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:30 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:

.....Emily, was a massive support and very kind to me. I admit I was very needy and emotional, texting her most, if not everyday and crying in front of her often. I was heartbroken. Emily was/is also going through a tough time with her health........ I can imagine she feels surprised but her reaction seemed upset/hostile and angry which in turn makes me feel a little annoyed as surely it isn't her place to judge me, only support? ......

Big mistake on your part. Huge. Humongous.

It isn't "her place" to support you or do anything for you. She owes you nothing. Nada. Zilch. She never did. Except now it is her place to offer her judgement.

She supported you, she put up with your emotional weaknesses and you crying a lot and feeling sorry for yourself and she allowed you to use her for free because she cared about you as more than just a friend.

Did you at any time during this brief relationship of your friend supporting you, ever give her a gift as a show of your appreciation for all she did for you? Did you give her a greeting card as thanks for all she's done for you? Did you treat her out to lunch or dinner for being so supportive of you? Did you do things for her, like you babysitting her grandchildren, or do her shopping for her, or any other little chores like that?

And babysitting your grandkid ??? What the hell is that all about, why didn't you arrange for a paid babysitter if you had a dental appointment? You do NOT ask friends to take over your family responsibilities or obligations for you.

Did Emily even know that you had joined a single parents group? And if she is such a good friend of yours that you have relied on so much then why did you hide from her the fact that you had become romantically involved with another woman at the same time you were using Emily as your emotional support system? Because you already knew Emily had feelings for you and you were taking advantage of her. Does the woman you're romantically involved with know about your friend Emily? Does she know what Emily has done for you? I bet not, I bet she knows nothing about Emily.

You owe Emily big time. The least you can do is apologize to her for the cold slap of ice water in the face that you so carelessly left for her on the table and tell her the truth, then let her go. You can't have your cake and eat it too so accept that you have just lost your support system. Better get used to taking responsibililty and looking after your own self instead of depending on others to carry your load.

Man, you are clueless. Is that why your wife left you too?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships