Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 12:50 PM

29,732 posts, read 34,322,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueplanet123 View Post
There's nothing to be 'Really honest' about. Emily is/was just a friend.

Emily has said again she felt hurt and confused when I stopped contacting her so regularly. We will talk tomorrow but although I get that it may have been difficult for her, I still don't know how to answer that as I can't go back to that level of contact so don't know what to say.
Do you consider yourself still friends, or do you think now that you have a girlfriend there's no need to keep in touch with Emily? Was she just a stopgap until you found someone else to meet your emotional needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 12:53 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,630,285 times
Quote:

Emily has said again she felt hurt and confused when I stopped contacting her so regularly. We will talk tomorrow but although I get that it may have been difficult for her, I still don't know how to answer that as I can't go back to that level of contact so don't know what to say.

I'm glad you have realized this. Good job. You are at her mercy on this, man. I think just about all you can do is not be nasty or defensive and just continue to apologize (really) when she expresses her feelings. Let her know that you are seeing someone and they are taking up most of your time, but you would like to remain friends and keep in touch when you can. It will be up to her whether she wants to or not and you have to accept whatever she decides. If she decides to keep the lines of communication open, at some point later on, you should probably invite her to meet your girlfriend. (and make sure your gf is ok with you being friends with Emily too)

Old 10-10-2018, 12:55 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,828,139 times
Quote:

"I wonder if our BluePlanet has asked this new wonderful woman in his life, what her advise is about Emily? What's her take on this? Have you really been honest with her?"

Try Honesty. At least you won't be out in the public airing dirty laundry that you drug in the mud. No, really, HONESTY!1 Seriously, HONESTY. The Truth.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,802,325 times
Quote:

Just tell her you can't because you have a girlfriend now and it wouldn't be appropriate, but you still want to be a friend if you can.

You were not wrong for pulling back IMO if that's what you felt was best, you are just wrong for not communicating with her first.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,855,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
“I’m sorry you feel that way” is the worst. Like when somebody responds “thank you” to an “I love you.”

The sentiment you’re groping for is “I’m sorry I hurt you.”
Yep! if I read "I'm sorry you feel this way" that means it's over and there's nothing else to be said.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:14 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,440,506 times
You can’t make Emily feel or do anything she isn’t comfortable with, all you can do is make your actions clear to her so she can understand why you took the actions you did.

She may or may not agree with you, but that’s something you have no real control over.
Don’t try to work things just to save face, it’s just creates even more of a disingenuous feeling. Which is something you do not need right now when trying to deal with someone who feels you have already been disingenuous to them.
This is a “get real” moment, not one to massage truths

Old 10-10-2018, 01:16 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,004,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
If she was only close to you as she wanted to date you then she wasn’t your friend in the first place and nothing has been lost. A friend would be happy that you’re having activity in your dating life.

I also assume it’s not a one way friendship where you use her for things like babysitting. That even “needy” you provided friendship in a reciprocal manner.
But that's not what happened.

He just got quiet and distant on her, until he needed a babysitter. How would she not feel used and cast away?

Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,855,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you consider yourself still friends, or do you think now that you have a girlfriend there's no need to keep in touch with Emily? Was she just a stopgap until you found someone else to meet your emotional needs?
Well when I'm "hurt and trying to protect myself by pulling back" it's not because I think my friend has other friends. Who thinks they can be someone's only friend?

OP is giving the impression his thought process is limited...or...is obtuse.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,828,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
OP is giving the impression his thought process is limited...or...is obtuse.
YA THINK!!!

Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 PM

48,507 posts, read 34,752,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yep! if I read "I'm sorry you feel this way" that means it's over and there's nothing else to be said.
Yep, that great non-apology. Basically telling her the problem is hers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships