Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,760 times

Advertisements

So there's this girl at work that I like and I've actually been planning on asking her out, but I've also recently realized my desire to join the military.

As for the military goes, I already know that I have a potentially disqualifying medical condition and it'll have to be looked at and reviewed before I can officially enlist and be sworn in. I'll have to do some waiting for them to review my medical papers instead of a recruiter simply telling me that I'm enlisted.

I really do like this girl, but I'm thinking that I shouldn't consider asking her out until I know of my fate with the military. I feel that it'd be unfair towards her if we were to start going on a few dates and then I get accepted and have to tell her "I know we just started dating, but I have to be deployed overseas now." What do you think I should do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 07:54 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,671,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyblob View Post
So there's this girl at work that I like and I've actually been planning on asking her out, but I've also recently realized my desire to join the military.

As for the military goes, I already know that I have a potentially disqualifying medical condition and it'll have to be looked at and reviewed before I can officially enlist and be sworn in. I'll have to do some waiting for them to review my medical papers instead of a recruiter simply telling me that I'm enlisted.

I really do like this girl, but I'm thinking that I shouldn't consider asking her out until I know of my fate with the military. I feel that it'd be unfair towards her if we were to start going on a few dates and then I get accepted and have to tell her "I know we just started dating, but I have to be deployed overseas now." What do you think I should do?
Wait.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,502,525 times
I have the opposite view. I think you should ask her out.

No one knows the future. We only have 1 life.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:11 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,262,694 times
Unless you have a crystal ball into your future, Id ask her out. I see no harm in going on a few dates and possibly having fun, whether you get in or denied for the military.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:17 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,586,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyblob View Post

Ask her out and tell her exactly what you've told us here. Let her decide if she wants to continue seeing you.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,123,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Ask her out and tell her exactly what you've told us here. Let her decide if she wants to continue seeing you.
^This. I don't think it's an odd thing to mention on the first date, when the conversation turns to plans for the future.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:27 AM

OK so OP ... are you ready to discuss your "potentially disqualifying medical condition" with this girl on your first date too?

Because if you bring it up but then say, "It may not happen anyway ..." or if you tell her but then don't qualify and later have to tell her, "Oh yeah I didn't get in ..." she will want to know why.

So ... unless you want to share your medical history with her right away, you should wait until you sort it out.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:51 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,262,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
OK so OP ... are you ready to discuss your "potentially disqualifying medical condition" with this girl on your first date too?

Because if you bring it up but then say, "It may not happen anyway ..." or if you tell her but then don't qualify and later have to tell her, "Oh yeah I didn't get in ..." she will want to know why.

So ... unless you want to share your medical history with her right away, you should wait until you sort it out.
I disagree. He should just ask her out and let the chips fall where they may.

The OP seem quite certain this woman will date him, if he asks her out. As far as I know, she could already be taken or simply not interested in the OP at all.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
As far as I know, she could already be taken or simply not interested in the OP at all.
OP certainly does seem confident that this could turn into a long-term thing.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,502,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I disagree. He should just ask her out and let the chips fall where they may.
Sho nuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships