Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 AM

281 posts, read 247,305 times

Advertisements

It is so confusing. Not many men I know will ask a girl "will you go on a date with me?". Most of the time, they will ask "do you want to hang out?" "do you want to grab coffee?" "do you want to have lunch/dinner/catch a movie?"

So unless you are on a dating site, how else will you know if the guy is trying to be your friend or if he is interested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 06:53 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat85 View Post
It is so confusing. Not many men I know will ask a girl "will you go on a date with me?". Most of the time, they will ask "do you want to hang out?" "do you want to grab coffee?" "do you want to have lunch/dinner/catch a movie?"

So unless you are on a dating site, how else will you know if the guy is trying to be your friend or if he is interested?
"hang out" is a cowards way to ask a woman out.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:00 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

1) He will make a move.
2) Time.

Otherwise, getting to know each other is the same. So, you're interested in spending time and getting to know him, or not.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:59 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Going on a date is work while “hanging out” is more just relaxing. People that have stressful lives do not have capacity or an interest in more work.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Going on a date is work while “hanging out” is more just relaxing. People that have stressful lives do not have capacity or an interest in more work.
Yeah, forbid them ever from having to do MORE work. :P

Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
I’ve been on plenty of “dates†yet I don’t remember the last time anybody asked me: “would you like to go on a date?†I think it’s just not something referred to as “the date†much anymore. I know I don’t/haven’t called it that in the last 10 years, maybe while I was married people were “dating� I was given the impression here that I’m odd for not saying date, but as with many things here, it’s not reflected like that in my real life.

I don’t say hanging out either, I’m just doing something with someone / insert event, location, etc. I like it that way. I don’t find it confusing, because that way I get to ask a guy if he wants to do something, without asking “would you like to go out on a date with me?†—that just seems really awkward and formal, for some reason. IMO.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:48 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I don't understand how it would be hard to read the situationality of it.

If a man is single, straight, and you don't already know him really well, and he wants to spend time one-on-one alone with you doing pretty much whatever recreationally...it's a date. He means it as a date. If he later claims it was not a date, then he is back-pedaling from that position for a reason. Maybe he was going to cheat on somebody but he decided not to or he got caught or almost got caught. Or maybe you said or did something that put him off.

We have had a million discussions on whether men and women can be friends, and I do think that it's completely possible, but it does not look the same as a man who is trying to date you. The man friends I have, either I've known them for decades and we know completely where we stand with each other and have some trust, or they are former partners and again, we know where we stand and have some trust, or I only see them in group events and never one-on-one, or they are gay, asexual, or otherwise not interested in me like that... Never are they men who would see me as a viable option and who are trying to spend dedicated time with just me, getting to know me to FORM a new friendship.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:03 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Guys rarely want to be friends. The point is they want to "go out / date" whatever without the stress of it being an actual date - without having to plan, without any expectation from the woman, and without expectation for the future. It's safer to hang out and then when it doesn't work - well, it wasn't a date!

Old 10-25-2018, 09:05 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I don't understand the big deal separating hang outs and dating.
Didn't HS sweethearts were first just friends, hanging out together or in a group and later on developed special likeness and feelings to each other?
What about coworkers, friends, neighbors etc. Did they strictly avoided casual gatherings, invitation to group BBQ or B-Day parties, because they planned to date?
How people met years, decades ago when most people first were acquaintances, then friends, then in some cases becane lovers and got married?
How to pick a random person and without knowing anything about them decide to date? Because one absolutely can't date someone who was just a friend before?
Being friends first, you progressively learn a lot about someone, in all kind of situations, and then decide (or not) that you actually like them more than just a friend, and if those feelings are mutual, naturally become closer and casual meetings turn to dating.
Do you know that the American concept of dating is pretty much local, cultural thing not really common in other countries? People who never lived elsewhere just don't know that there are better, and probably more successful ways to meet a mate.
Please take a moment and read this, then re-evaluate your own feelings about dating :
https://www.justmytype.ca/11-differe...-american-man/
Perhaps there is something seriously wrong with how people date here, and why dating became such a frustrating part of life, lined with anxieties, depressions, hurt egos, low self esteem, and constant searching for someone new, someone better....

Old 10-25-2018, 09:12 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:

You hang out to find out, Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships