Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 09:24 PM

8 posts, read 5,500 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm in a big trouble can some one please help me.

I’m currently living with my husband. I’m the kind of person who loves to stay alone and find my peace of mind. For this, I usually take a walk in the woods or find a place where I can sit alone. If I’m in a difficult situation I usually prefer to sit alone and rethink about it. I can’t handle to sit with my husband and solve problems. But, my husband is totally different from this. He says, when I’m not ready to share my problems with him, he feels really tortured.
He also says, my attitude hurts him a lot. But the reason behind me walking away from him is that I need a moment to myself when he upsets me. This helps me to calm down. I know that he only wants to help me but I’m not able to handle this pressure. Can anyone suggest me a couple counseling clinic? On surfing,Mod cut: no links or recommendations if you have less than 10 posts

Last edited by Mikala43; 11-05-2018 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 09:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
As a married couple, you have to respect the way you each deal with stress.

He cannot force you to take on his emotions while he's waiting for you to calm down. He should understand that you need space.

At the same time, you have to throw him a bone and just say, "I really need space. I love you and want to talk to you about this, but I just need you to give me a little bit of time while I sort this out in my head."

If you two are secure in your relationship, you can do this.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:53 PM

Thank you for your concern.
I tried saying him that but he still feels the same.
What should I do?

Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 PM

553 posts, read 302,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany Dias View Post
What should I do?
How long have you been married?

I ask because I’m wondering if this has been your first conflict. I am struggling to understand why a man who loves you can’t give you space when you explained why you need it.

To me it suggests a controlling type of person, which often is a sign of insecurity. These things don’t pop up overnight so was this something you noticed with him while dating?

Old 11-05-2018, 06:17 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
You need to learn how to sit down with him and discuss what’s going on. He can’t read your mind.

It’s okay to get by yourself to think things through, but part of marriage is learning to communicate with one another and using that as one of your tools to navigate rough patches.

Practice sitting down with him in your family room and talking gently about what’s going on. Try it when you’re both calm and relaxed. There are plenty of online marriage counseling aids that provide tips on expressing yourself to your partner without causing resentment or creating friction.

You should view this as a positive new challenge. Your relationship will benefit and you may find fewer reasons to isolate yourself in moments of conflict.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:20 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Classic introvert vs, extravert clash. I once made the mistake of buying a two-family house with a guy I was dating; he had the upstairs and I had the downstairs. He did NOT understand that I needed space and that my need to be alone sometimes was not a rejection of him. My definition of an introvert is someone who goes crazy if they don't have sufficient time to themselves; an extravert is someone who goes crazy if they have TOO much "alone" time.

Therapy might help. No good guy and no bad guy here- just different styles.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:24 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany Dias View Post
What should I do?
How long do you usually walk around in the woods or sit by yourself, etc.? Do you then fully share your concerns with him afterward?

I'm trying to get an accurate understanding of what kind of timeline we're talking about here.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
How long do you usually walk around in the woods or sit by yourself, etc.? Do you then fully share your concerns with him afterward?

I'm trying to get an accurate understanding of what kind of timeline we're talking about here.
I usually like to sit alone. But that is for my privacy.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
How long have you been married?

I ask because I’m wondering if this has been your first conflict. I am struggling to understand why a man who loves you can’t give you space when you explained why you need it.

To me it suggests a controlling type of person, which often is a sign of insecurity. These things don’t pop up overnight so was this something you noticed with him while dating?
Its been almost 2 years since we got married. I have no problems with him. Only thing that I feel is he should give me some time

Old 11-07-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Classic introvert vs, extravert clash. I once made the mistake of buying a two-family house with a guy I was dating; he had the upstairs and I had the downstairs. He did NOT understand that I needed space and that my need to be alone sometimes was not a rejection of him. My definition of an introvert is someone who goes crazy if they don't have sufficient time to themselves; an extravert is someone who goes crazy if they have TOO much "alone" time.

Therapy might help. No good guy and no bad guy here- just different styles.
Thanks for your reply!
You too have got the same situation as me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships