Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,824 times

Advertisements

There could be many reasons for it. Just like what other people here said.. But the ones that come to mind first, make it seem like he's hiding it for a reason. If you want to be successful on online dating, you really do need to put a photo up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
You didn't have up-to-date pictures in your initial profile pics? I'm curious, Im guessing you work as a bar tender or some type of job that's open to the general public allowing them to easily pop up as the blend in with the rest of the general population?
No, I did not have any pictures in my profile pictures, but I shared them quickly once a mutual interest had been established. I think that it also helped that my pictures, once seen, quite accurately fit my written description of my physical appearance. I'm not a bartender, though my work can be somewhat public. (My work has been featured in various news and human interest articles over the years, so it's quite easy to cross-reference my pictures online and discover who I am--especially as I have a unique surname.)

That being said, although I did luck out with my current partner (who I met in my brief online adventure), I'm unlikely to do online dating in the future as I've rarely have any problems meeting men out in the real world. (Not bragging--I've just been lucky and I live in an urban area with plenty of singles in my age range.) I did the online dating more out of morbid curiosity than actual need. It was definitely interesting, to say the least!

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 11-21-2018 at 07:28 AM..

Old 12-26-2018, 10:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
I don't think it's embarrassment about being on an online dating site for people not posting pictures. I think the majority (not all) are hiding something, even if relatively minor. I will say that there are some legit reasons. I have a friend who is a relatively young professor (30s) at a grad school. Some of his students (mid 20s-30s) fall in his dating age range and it is a college town, so I can see how someone in that position wouldn't want his pictures online, to keep his life private from his students. However, in the majority of cases, I would be very suspicious if someone can't post even a few basic pictures.

Being embarrassed is a separate issue. I am not embarrassed to use it, but I have to admit that meeting up with dates the first time is still really awkward and embarrassing to me (and you can spot when people are meeting up from online dating). Also, it is embarrassing whenever the question of how you met comes up in group settings or around friends/family. Also, all those commercials can be awkward if they come on and you are with your significant other that you met online. It shouldn't be that way, and it is my own insecurities, but I honestly am a little embarrassed. I have a female friend who is worse and said she will refuse to admit that she met her partner online, lol. Even though it may be slightly embarrassing to me, if it works out, I could care less.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:20 PM

999 posts, read 553,211 times
I don't think there's anything embarrassing about having pics on a dating app and a basic profile, but I would absolutely not feel comfortable answering some of Okcupid's compatibility questions with my picture and identity known. I can't believe the information people are comfortable putting out there. Stuff about kinks, turn ons, etc. I've decided to just avoid answering any such questions because that's not the sort of thing I even want potential dates knowing right off the bat, let alone random people I have no interest in dating. Maybe this isn't the case with OP's person, but if someone did answer the sexual questions, I could totally understand why they'd want their identity to remain hidden.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:22 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Which dating site?
Farmers only? Diaper Mates? Mullet Passions? Infectious diseases only?

Old 12-27-2018, 12:08 AM

133 posts, read 75,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Which dating site?
Farmers only? Diaper Mates? Mullet Passions? Infectious diseases only?

According to some women, a lot of men use facebook as a dating site..Lol

Old 12-27-2018, 12:44 AM

574 posts, read 376,605 times
If someone had no pictures posted but they would send me a picture of themselves, I think I would ask them to take a selfie holding a pencil or shoe in one hand. it would be a little harder to fake.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:55 AM

99 posts, read 48,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravesrule384 View Post
Honestly Facebook is a 500 times better dating site than any dating site out there, IF you use it properly. You establish friends over time and some will start to grow an attraction to you. You just can't cold message people, that never works.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:01 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I don't think there's anything embarrassing about having pics on a dating app and a basic profile, but I would absolutely not feel comfortable answering some of Okcupid's compatibility questions with my picture and identity known. I can't believe the information people are comfortable putting out there. Stuff about kinks, turn ons, etc. I've decided to just avoid answering any such questions because that's not the sort of thing I even want potential dates knowing right off the bat, let alone random people I have no interest in dating. Maybe this isn't the case with OP's person, but if someone did answer the sexual questions, I could totally understand why they'd want their identity to remain hidden.
Yeah, some of the questions were acceptable, then other questions were really and highly intrusive, so I skipped over those...esp. the sexual ones...not sure why you'd want to make that public.

Of course, I've seen some women demand you have answered over at least 100 of those questions for her to respond to you. That's why I dumped that app. Not my style.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:02 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravesrule384 View Post
Meh, why not? I typically contact women if they show "single" in their profile and/or if we share a certain amount of mutual friends. Makes for a good ice breaker when you PM/DM them, "Hey, we know the same 10 friends, too....surprised we haven't run into each other!"

Or when it comes to Facebook groups of certain interests, say movies, TV, Sci-fi...and they live locally, you can lead with that.

Quote:
Honestly Facebook is a 500 times better dating site than any dating site out there, IF you use it properly. You establish friends over time and some will start to grow an attraction to you. You just can't cold message people, that never works.
There are some local singles Facebook group <name of city singles group>, but they are virtual waste lands. Recently some women posted a hotsy-totsy Christmas pic of themselves only for attention purposes. The men came out of the woodwork, she was rarely responsive and just "liked" their comments. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships