Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 09:09 PM

17,379 posts, read 8,962,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The pet has been there SIX MONTHS.
No. That's incorrect. They got the cat last year. We don't know exactly when but the cat has been there for somewhere between 11 and 23 months. The OP didn't have any problems for the first 6 months the cat was there.

"Last year, my fiancé bought a cat for his son. After about 6 months of having the cat, I started developing breathing problems"

So, apparently she developed this allergy after 6 months. Or maybe she isn't allergic to the cat at all.

It's possible that something else is causing the allergy. I don't know. I'm just throwing this possibility out there.

I can tell you that I had terrible problems after changing litter brands. I couldn't even function. I don't remember exactly which brand it was...it may have been Fresh Step. It was the one with the little blue air freshener things mixed in it. It took me a while to figure out that the litter was the problem. When I finally switched back to my old litter brand, the problems completely went away and everything was back to normal.

I have no idea if something similar changed in that household but it's worth looking into.

ETA: The OP also wrote "I went to an allergist and it was determined that I am very allergic to pet dander.", so I guess it's not something else. I assume the allergist would know for certain? The first 6 months she wasn't?

Last edited by redplum33; 11-21-2018 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 09:59 PM

23,084 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Sensitivity to an allergen can increase or decrease over time. You may not react to a new potential allergen at all the first time, but once your immune system gets sensitized, over time your reaction can become more intense particularly if your exposure is constant. The opposite is true too.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:57 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,857,300 times
I was in the same situation. Get rid of the cat. PETA doesn't like it but your lungs are more important than Mr. Mittens.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:17 AM

888 posts, read 553,691 times
This thread makes me really sad. I feel bad for the OP. But so many people are quick to just say get rid of the animal. An animal is supposed to be a commitment for life. They generally are around longer than most relationships. So many people are so quick to just get rid of it, put it in the shelter, where most are doomed to not make it out. I foster senior small dogs, and it is just heartbreaking that these little dogs are left in their senior years.

OP, I would push the basement thing again. If they are downstairs a lot it wouldn't be a big deal to have the cat there. Otherwise I will say it again, this is a deal breaker. This guy isn't evil because he wants to keep his son's pet. His son already went through a divorce and lost his family. And he wouldn't be evil if he did in the end pick his child over his fiancé. It's an awful situation all around, but neither of these people are awful or wrong in what they want.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:58 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,018,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I'm going to guess your allergies are not severe. You come close to dying, your priorities will change.
Actually I have real allergies and have to carry epipens. Stuffy noses are trivial. I am allergic to coconut and palm oil. Try avoiding that in your day to day life...

Cats are nothing...

I bet they are not cleaning enough. They also need to remove all carpet.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:24 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
My mother developed the same problem. She went for the medications rather than dumping our pets. The medication worked by and large and she only had mild problems once in awhile. Eventually....about a decade, she stopped having them and a cat and a dog were no problem.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:25 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,612,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Actually I have real allergies and have to carry epipens. Stuffy noses are trivial. I am allergic to coconut and palm oil. Try avoiding that in your day to day life...

Cats are nothing...

I bet they are not cleaning enough. They also need to remove all carpet.
Perhaps for you, cats are nothing. For me, pet dander is a mild allergen, so pets are no big deal for me either.

But you and I are not OP; it isn't at all relevant how allergic you or I are to pet dander.

One of my main allergens is dust. You think avoiding coconut and palm oil is difficult? Try avoiding dust.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:13 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,018,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Perhaps for you, cats are nothing. For me, pet dander is a mild allergen, so pets are no big deal for me either.

But you and I are not OP; it isn't at all relevant how allergic you or I are to pet dander.

One of my main allergens is dust. You think avoiding coconut and palm oil is difficult? Try avoiding dust.
Dust is on my list as well. Again dust is an easy one. Mattress wrapped in plastic. Replace pillows often. And dust house frequently.

My entire child hood I had allergy shots. I am allergic to dogs, cats, cows, horses, I deal because I refuse to live in a bubble.

As I have said before, the op needs to remove all carpet, clean more and wash bedding weekly and see if it helps. I do every bit of 20 loads of laundry every week. It works. When the house gets out of hand we all get sick.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:22 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,612,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Dust is on my list as well. Again dust is an easy one. Mattress wrapped in plastic. Replace pillows often. And dust house frequently.

My entire child hood I had allergy shots. I am allergic to dogs, cats, cows, horses, I deal because I refuse to live in a bubble.

As I have said before, the op needs to remove all carpet, clean more and wash bedding weekly and see if it helps. I do every bit of 20 loads of laundry every week. It works. When the house gets out of hand we all get sick.
You have allergies, yet say absurd things such as "dust is an easy one", and "cats are nothing"? You seem completely unaware that it is NOT the allergen which is more or less severe, but the individual's reaction to that particular allergen. I find that odd.

If allergens were the constant, then every person would have the same exact reaction to every allergen. There wouldn't be people who have allergies and people who don't.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:15 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times
Wow, this is a difficult one. I can't see any way for the OP to cohabit with the cat. The cost of the inhalers or whatever seemed too expensive to me. The shots seem so extreme, and maybe even if everything works it may take a full year?

I have one bit of sure advice for our OP: Do not get married until you have solved your cat problem long term!

You don't wanna end up being married and not being able to live with hubby, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships