Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 06:33 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,716,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Just based purely on the information you've provided, you say things are getting serious and heading toward exclusivity, so it's somewhat confusing why you want to meet another woman. Do you want to be exclusive with the woman you're sleeping with, or not?

You haven't had a discussion to form an agreement of exclusivity, but since you're sleeping with her, a discussion to clarify that you're NOT exclusive would be the right thing to do.
Agreed. Just make things clear. Not hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 06:33 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,024,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I’m starting to get kind of serious with a girl I’ve been dating. It’s obvious she really like me and it is headed towards something exclusive and serious. We’re sleeping together and it’s been about 2 months of dating. Still no talks about being exclusive though. I’ve been in contact with another girl through a dating app that seems pretty awesome also, and I plan on meeting her, but feel a little guilt about it.

My question is on your own personal standards in the issue. Mine are you’re free to date others until it’s official and you’ve had the talk. Even if I feel a little guilty. If you’re not my GF, I can still date others. Thoughts?
Why do you claim to be getting serious, but aren't discussing it?

What you're doing doesn't sound serious at all. It sounds like you're using her as a convenience while you scope out other women to see if there's someone better.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:35 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
But you put your situation on the forum....asking us to comment. You could've just asked the question straight out without putting yourself out there.

Don't ask for what you don't want.

I say it's time when I'm no longer interested in pursuing anyone else.
I put my situation to add context. I was expecting a certain level of comprehension to comment on my actual question. I did not reveal all the additional details of my relationship and situation that are relevant. You don’t know all the details, so you cant comment on my exact situation.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:38 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Just based purely on the information you've provided, you say things are getting serious and heading toward exclusivity, so it's somewhat confusing why you want to meet another woman. Do you want to be exclusive with the woman you're sleeping with, or not?

You haven't had a discussion to form an agreement of exclusivity, but since you're sleeping with her, a discussion to clarify that you're NOT exclusive would be the right thing to do.
From her side things are getting serious and her feelings are stronger than mine at this point. I do not want to be exclusive yet. Therefore I will be avoiding the exclusivity discussion. We both know we’re not exclusive. She is recently divorced. Again. Information you do not know and shouldn’t assume to know.

Last edited by Berteau; 11-22-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 11-22-2018, 06:55 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
From her side things are getting serious and her feelings are stronger than mine at this point. I do not want to be exclusive yet. Therefore I will be avoiding the exclusivity discussion. We both know we’re not exclusive. She is recently divorced. Again. Information you do not know and shouldn’t assume to know.
I think you should tell her outright and let her make the decision whether or not to stay. You're not being genuine otherwise - you know she thinks things are "getting serious." It's time for the Talk.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Good analogy.

Hey, look at our numbers. You joined here the very same year and month.

Of course you’re smoking me on reps and posts. Haha.
Cool. It seems you have a life apart from staring at a screen. I congratulate you!

I'm glad you agree with me regarding the original post. I am no fan of monogamy by any means!!!

Old 11-22-2018, 07:21 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Be honest. Or are you afraid she’ll get mad and you’ll be left with no one to sleep with?

Old 11-22-2018, 07:36 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,071 times
Quote:
I didn't assume anything. My response was based ONLY on information you stated.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
I’m starting to get kind of serious with a girl I’ve been dating. It’s obvious she really like me and it is headed towards something exclusive and serious. We’re sleeping together and it’s been about 2 months of dating. Still no talks about being exclusive though. I’ve been in contact with another girl through a dating app that seems pretty awesome also, and I plan on meeting her, but feel a little guilt about it.

My question is on your own personal standards in the issue. Mine are you’re free to date others until it’s official and you’ve had the talk. Even if I feel a little guilty. If you’re not my GF, I can still date others. Thoughts?
I don't know where the above quote came from, that someone posted earlier in the thread, but if this is the situation, it sounds like you're assuming that everyone subscribes to this practice, of having "the talk" at some point during the dating process. You're therefore assuming that until SHE raises the topic, you're free to date around.

Why don't you test your hypothesis/assumption, be informing her that you've been fishing for dates, still, via an app, and found someone who seems like a great prospect, whom you want to take out on a first date. See what happens.

The fact is, OP, that not everyone has "the talk" (and why would it be incumbent on the woman to do so, anyway? Since you seem to be wondering about the whole issue, why haven't you raised it? ), because some people simply assume that there's no one else in the picture. Yes, there are people like that out there. They assume they're in a process with you, and if things are going well, they assume the two of you are building toward something significant.

So anyway, I think you should tell her about the date you have planned, or are planning, with this new person you've found on OLD, and see how she reacts. If you don't have the guts to do that, you already have your answer as to whether you should date someone else or not.

edit: I just saw this additional post from the OP:
Quote:
Are you sure about the bolded, or is this what you conveniently tell yourself? If it's true, and you honestly believe it to be true, tell her you're planning a first date with someone you recently found on OLD. Stand back.

Report back to us.

Also consider, that if you're not ready to be exclusive yet, maybe you should stop sleeping with her. Where do you think her "stronger than yours" feelings are coming from? THey're coming to a great extent from the intimacy.

Good luck with all that.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:46 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,761 times
Communication is key. Just talk to her about it. If you already know her feelings are stronger than yours, then she needs to know you're not on the same page. Otherwise you're not being honest about your intentions and that's not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships