Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:28 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
You know, at first I was eyerolling pretty hard about not being able to work or eat and being super depressed over his sick cat (and I say this as the former owner of a cat who lived a long life but had health problems toward the end). It sounded like a ridiculous blow-off. But then, after thinking more about his various texts and odd behavior, I started thinking this guy may suffer from clinical depression. It would explain a lot, including the pulling away and long periods of silence and being "sick." Regardless, it is better to move forward and stop prolonging things. Depressed or just flaky, it's clear that you are not going to have a quality relationship with this person.
It's a lose-lose, if the guy is emotionally unstable...it's a dealbreaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 07:17 AM

160 posts, read 85,390 times
Can I just say” hope you and your cat get better soon” does that work?

Old 12-06-2018, 07:18 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qilixiang View Post
Yes. Perfect.

Then leave it at that.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:24 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yes. Perfect.

Then leave it at that.
She won't. She's hanging on every text, analyzing every moment just begging for an excuse to answer him.

If OP wants to be second place to a cat, then by all means, keep right on texting. She'll be back here posting after the cat has a miracle recovery and he uses her again.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:27 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Quote:
I think that’s a good idea, and I wouldn’t plan on answering any future texts you might receive. Like others have said, this guy is not relationship material.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
She won't. She's hanging on every text, analyzing every moment just begging for an excuse to answer him.

If OP wants to be second place to a cat, then by all means, keep right on texting. She'll be back here posting after the cat has a miracle recovery and he uses her again.
You sure don’t know me.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Don't you hate it when someone uses some kind of sickness as an excuse to flake on you. If it's not the sickness of the person in question, it's their pet. There's just something messed up about that. But, they are just putting bad karma on themselves by doing that.

Crying wolf.
Thank you... it is very lame to use excuses like that. And I like your saying that crying wolf will put on bad karma on themselves.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:53 AM

587 posts, read 423,315 times
Quote:
Yes that exact wording.

Then you have replied to him w/o feeling like you ghosted him or need further closure.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I think you should reply - telling him you're sorry about his cat, and that you won't bother him, and that he should contact you when he's feeling better.

There's been a lot of strange stuff with this guy, but my gut feeling is that he's sincere.
Thank you redplum for your positivity and support throughout the whole turbulence... I do believe there’s some truth in what he said.. and he does say odd thing sometimes... I just want to wish him the best

Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,866 times
He may be sincere, but he also closed with: "I need to focus on me and my cat".

That is, point blank, a way of saying that he does not wish to continue this relationship. This is not ambiguous. Nobody ever ends a message with "I need to focus on XYZ" without it meaning "There is no future to this relationship".

But you already decided he's too flaky to have a relationship with, right? So this should be no problem. Now at least you know for sure. You have closure, and that's great. Wish him the best if you want to, but leave it at that, and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships