Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I don't consider it conceit, or holier-than-thou. I call it self-knowledge.
I agree. Some people really do have limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

... and now their marriage is extraordinarily happy.
As far as you know .... No one really knows what a marriage is like for the two people in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 11:00 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
Don't get married if you know you will cheat. At the very least tell your SO that you will cheat on them and let them decide early on if they want to marry a lowlife. Think about how severely you will harm your children for the rest of their life when you consider doing something so selfish and stupid. For the rest of your life you will be cleaning up the mess you made of your children's lives. I am currently witnessing the effects of such stupidity with a friend and a family member.

It's not that easy. People cheat out of circumstance. Stressful career, sick child, chemical imbalance, so on and so on. The mentality to cheat is likely always there; however, in order to cheat, you need a willing participant. Cheating is living out a fantasy in real life for most. The person you're cheating with is getting the best you, while your partner is likely getting the worst you.

Cheating can be as circumstantial as bumping into someone at the grocery store and you two start a conversation that grows from there. I don't think it's always planned, even though for some people they do plan to cheat with a certain somebody.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Well, you predictably went to DefCon 5. It's not as if you ever had any trust to begin with. So good luck getting into a relationship in the first place, let alone nurturing or preserving one.

I'm just telling you that infidelity isn't a death sentence to the relationship, and you go all Rambo on us.
I actually think my post was tame compared to my usual musings. Don’t see what is so Rambo about being out if she cheats.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:21 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,445,955 times
My ability to remain interested, attracted or attached to someone who gives in to weak moments that involve harm to others is extremely low at this point in life.

My current or accumulation of personal involvement with them wouldn’t matter much to my choice to move on from them. At this age you should have had enough life experience to understand yourself, who you are, what you want and how to be honest with yourself and others to avoid ended up in those type of situations.

It goes beyond simple infidelity, infidelity is just the symptom of another cause.
To put it bluntly: I ain’t got time for that type of **** in my life anymore.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 AM

777 posts, read 452,108 times
I left when I had clear evidence of an emotional affair. Never in 26 years did I have a smoking gun that my ex had ever had a physical affair, but a lot of prior suspicions over the years were suddenly a LOT more plausible.

Ultimately, he was a liar and disloyal and emotionally abusive to me whether or not he ever hit the sack with any other woman he got inappropriately emotionally close to.

I have zero regrets over leaving. My life and mental state is so much better now. Cheating is often just one small part of an overall dysfunctional relationship. It's so much more than just the physical deed.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:03 PM

52,187 posts, read 52,623,070 times
I honestly don't know what I would tolerate. It's not so black and white in some cases and there are extenuating circumstances such as how long I've been with someone or how much investment you have emotionally or financially or otherwise.

I can't say with 100 percent certainty. I'd like to say I'd be gone if she cheated, in reality, I don't know.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:06 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

As far as you know .... No one really knows what a marriage is like for the two people in it.

True. But given how we've been good friends with this couple for a long time, we'd likely pick up on those things.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:15 PM

52,187 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
True. But given how we've been good friends with this couple for a long time, we'd likely pick up on those things.
Yeah, good point.

You can suss when something ain't jiving.

We have known couples over the years where you can feel the tension as it was distinctly present.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:20 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
I don't know. I suspect it would vary greatly with different people and different relationships. One size fits all is not something that works with interpersonal relations.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:29 PM

990 posts, read 2,555,694 times
Tolerance...... ZERO!

Infidelity is perhaps the ultimate form of disrespect.

Personally..... One and DONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships