Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:30 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That right there was a Cherry Red Flag which is why I never purchased a membership. That maybe the only dating site that don't allow you to see what type of women are on there.
You have to get a free trial to create a profile, and then I think, after that, you will have a profile that ou can log into at any time and can search people forever more, even if you have not paid. You just can't write to anyone if you aren't paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Haven't we already concluded that you life in a smaller town where the online match pool is small, and travel to meet enough dates often becomes too far away? That's my conclusion comparing my OLD experience to yours and considering I live in the second largest city in the nation.
Yes...I was told even the big city I live an hour away from, isn't really all that big, in comparison to others in this great nation.

Quote:
Keep in mind that many parties have all kinds of motivations to create fake profiles, and you may be assuming Match is the only one. In fact IMO it is scammers who are responsible for most of the fakes.

Particularly with sites that have free memberships, I'm sure plenty off people join for curiosity and maybe a bit of Internet adventure perhaps purely out of boredom. It's safe to assume that every dating site has members who have no intention of meeting anybody in real life.
Right, but it's even happening on the paid dating sites, too. Because there are plenty of unpaid members. Some use it as an extension of their social media to garner attention and followers.

Quote:
And finally, not everybody can be clever. Back when I began OLD I did some research (on Match!) reading profiles, and I discovered the vast majority were prosaic and uninspiring. I saw plenty of evidence of members plagiarizing other profiles. The "social butterfly" phrase was the one I saw most often, and continue to see it to this day. (I hit the delete key whenever I see that phrase.)
Or "looking for my partner in crime" or "life's too short to sweat the small stuff" or "I can wear a little black dress on an evening out to a pair of torn jeans when out and about in the woods"

Quote:
There is a lot of distance between what you heard and what may actually be the case, and you have filled the gap with speculation.

If any dating site actually paid employees to create false profiles then that would be deceptive business practices and particularly false advertising. I don't see any need for more government regulations. If a site is doing any of the stuff you're accusing them of then they should be investigated and prosecuted if they are doing this.
In a previous post, there is a link where Match.com was accused of such practices.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...e-federal-law/

Usually it was in the context of peoples' memberships coming closer to expiring or may have already expired. If they got suckered into answering them, then re-upping their sub. just to reply. Then POOF, said profile vanishes. This is where member were suspecting Match creating profiles to contact them as a tactic to get them to renew their memberships. Retainment.

I've also seen a ton of obvious profiles with gifs of pretty women and IN those gifs is text saying, "Not a member contact me at blahblahbla@gmail.com

So it's not speculation if I've witnessed it myself. Not sure why you keep choosing to defend online dating to be honest, and not at least think that there is something fishy going on with these sites that so many have claimed have happened to them.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:34 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You have to get a free trial to create a profile, and then I think, after that, you will have a profile that ou can log into at any time and can search people forever more, even if you have not paid. You just can't write to anyone if you aren't paid.

Not write anyone but I do want to see how the women look before I purchase a membership. I will never make that type of blind purchase and then discover I am not attracted to any of the women.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Not write anyone but I do want to see how the women look before I purchase a membership. I will never make that type of blind purchase and then discover I am not attracted to any of the women.

Get a 30-day free trial, then cancel before the 30 days are up, then you will have a profile forever and can search forever. The only problem is, like ThisTown mentioned, you may feel tempted later on after seeing a beautiful woman to finally sign-up and pay just so you can write to her, or she might write to you first, but then it turns out that she is actually a fake profile. And you have already paid.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:47 AM

Honestly, are there really that many fake female profiles who are 45+ ?

I would think not but I'm not a guy dating women so I don't know.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Usually it was in the context of peoples' memberships coming closer to expiring or may have already expired. If they got suckered into answering them, then re-upping their sub. just to reply. Then POOF, said profile vanishes. This is where member were suspecting Match creating profiles to contact them as a tactic to get them to renew their memberships. Retainment.
Retention. Well if there is a class action suit they can handle it there.

Actually I had been planning on trying Match in January. Due to yours and others' disparagement of Match in your comments at CD I decided to forget about Match. I dropped eHarmony intending to try Match, but now I've decided to create a totally new account at eHarmony. (I want to re-take their matching questionnaire.) They've worked well for me and I didn't get the feeling they were pumping the membership for money as bad as some other sites.

Quote:
I've also seen a ton of obvious profiles with gifs of pretty women and IN those gifs is text saying, "Not a member contact me at blahblahbla@gmail.com
Come on, those are obvious scammers. Just report and block.

One effect I've noticed is that if I age my messages a few days I often find they are from "profile no longer available." They are obviously scammers that other members reported, saving me the trouble.

Quote:
So it's not speculation if I've witnessed it myself. Not sure why you keep choosing to defend online dating to be honest, and not at least think that there is something fishy going on with these sites that so many have claimed have happened to them.
I told you, because OLD is successfully working for me. But I recognize that OLD works best for people who live in population centers, and poorly for small town and rural America.

Quote:
So you want free sites but you don't want free sites because they attract fakes. I'm not sure but it's possible that you might be able to try a paid membership a few days and get a refund if you don't like it.

Quote:
Get a 30-day free trial, then cancel before the 30 days are up, then you will have a profile forever and can search forever. The only problem is, like ThisTown mentioned, you may feel tempted later on after seeing a beautiful woman to finally sign-up and pay just so you can write to her, or she might write to you first, but then it turns out that she is actually a fake profile. And you have already paid.
This makes sense. In any case it's not that much expense for a 3-month membership. I've been a member of two OLD sites for most of the year and the price I paid was worth it to me. Early next year I intend to start a fresh account with eHarmony and reboot.

Quote:
Honestly, are there really that many fake female profiles who are 45+ ?

I would think not but I'm not a guy dating women so I don't know.
If I assume bad profiles are written by dull people or the essay-challenged, using eHarmony as my reference, IMO the vast majority of the profiles were written by people who are not scammers and not site employees.

I think the big mistake the naysayers are making is judging the quality of a site based upon the matches you get (or the profiles?). I'll call this the front end, apparently attractive matches who may or may not correspond with you. I don't see it that way. To me typing is cheap. (More fun than Minesweeper too.) I'm basing the quality of any OLD site upon the quality of first dates that I get from the site, in other words the back end data, I'm basing my conclusion on results and nothing but results. The sites may be annoying but all I care about is results.

During my most active part of 2018 I was a member of two OLD sites, they both worked well for me although I found plenty to criticize about each of the sites, but I was getting about 3 new, quality first dates each month. That's why I'm a fan of OLD, but as always I point out that OLD works best for people who live in population centers.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Retention. Well if there is a class action suit they can handle it there.

Actually I had been planning on trying Match in January. Due to yours and others' disparagement of Match in your comments at CD I decided to forget about Match. I dropped eHarmony intending to try Match, but now I've decided to create a totally new account at eHarmony. (I want to re-take their matching questionnaire.) They've worked well for me and I didn't get the feeling they were pumping the membership for money as bad as some other sites.

Come on, those are obvious scammers. Just report and block.

One effect I've noticed is that if I age my messages a few days I often find they are from "profile no longer available." They are obviously scammers that other members reported, saving me the trouble.

I told you, because OLD is successfully working for me. But I recognize that OLD works best for people who live in population centers, and poorly for small town and rural America.

So you want free sites but you don't want free sites because they attract fakes. I'm not sure but it's possible that you might be able to try a paid membership a few days and get a refund if you don't like it.

This makes sense. In any case it's not that much expense for a 3-month membership. I've been a member of two OLD sites for most of the year and the price I paid was worth it to me. Early next year I intend to start a fresh account with eHarmony and reboot.

If I assume bad profiles are written by dull people or the essay-challenged, using eHarmony as my reference, IMO the vast majority of the profiles were written by people who are not scammers and not site employees.

I think the big mistake the naysayers are making is judging the quality of a site based upon the matches you get (or the profiles?). I'll call this the front end, apparently attractive matches who may or may not correspond with you. I don't see it that way. To me typing is cheap. (More fun than Minesweeper too.) I'm basing the quality of any OLD site upon the quality of first dates that I get from the site, in other words the back end data, I'm basing my conclusion on results and nothing but results. The sites may be annoying but all I care about is results.

During my most active part of 2018 I was a member of two OLD sites, they both worked well for me although I found plenty to criticize about each of the sites, but I was getting about 3 new, quality first dates each month. That's why I'm a fan of OLD, but as always I point out that OLD works best for people who live in population centers.
I think back, and I have noticed, most EVERY time I had a woman actually come meet me IN person. They were brand spanking new to the site. The longer these ladies have been on the sites, the less likely they'd meet in person. I think over time they grow stale and bitter...like Simon on "America's Got Talent"

When I see a newbie join, it appears that striking while the iron's hot has let me to in-person meet n greets.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:54 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I haven't paid much attention to asking how long women have been online dating. I'm still dating my first OLD date from January, so both she and I have been doing OLD a year (at least). I hope she isn't taking OLD any more seriously than me ATM because I doubt I view my matches even weekly. I intend to take it more seriously beginning January.

I've seen site features "search for new members in your area" and I think it's a great idea to use this feature, and I should use it more. The advantage is that you are going around the site's matching process, so you are encountering people you wouldn't have passively met; they don't subtract from your matches/day quota!

Old 12-16-2018, 02:02 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
The "social butterfly" phrase was the one I saw most often, and continue to see it to this day. (I hit the delete key whenever I see that phrase.)
Yep. That one, plus "I know it's a conflict in terms but I'm humble. That's how my friends describe me" and "I may seem quiet at first because I'm a good listener". Pass. I don't care if it's fake or a lack of originality.

And, as posted earlier. I've found that many of the more suspicious profiles disappear in a day or two so I wait before responding to anything iffy.

I've got a profile out on e-Harmony but one of the reasons I haven't gotten a paid membership is that I can't even see pictures of the prospective matches without paying. That was a dealbreaker. I know that sounds superficial but I want to weed out the obese, the guys in wife-beater shirts and the mug-shot selfies.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I haven't paid much attention to asking how long women have been online dating. I'm still dating my first OLD date from January, so both she and I have been doing OLD a year (at least). I hope she isn't taking OLD any more seriously than me ATM because I doubt I view my matches even weekly. I intend to take it more seriously beginning January.

I've seen site features "search for new members in your area" and I think it's a great idea to use this feature, and I should use it more. The advantage is that you are going around the site's matching process, so you are encountering people you wouldn't have passively met; they don't subtract from your matches/day quota!
Your still dating your first OLD date from Jan., but still intend on seeing other women other than herself. I guess you haven't become an exclusive couple?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships