Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 829 times

Advertisements

So, I was a psychology major in college, and all things psych-related have always fascinated me. However, I seem to have found a real-life scenario that I had previously only read about in books.

I began my first relationship 3 months ago. I am 24. I know that may be a bit unusual already.

The guy seemed to be almost perfect. I know perfection doesn't exist, but it's definitely what I was searching for, I guess.

He is handsome, well-mannered, polite, a gentleman, funny, talkative. Everything I was looking for. I did have some reservations because it seemed too good to be true. I met him through a dating app, and a month after knowing one another we began our relationship.

At first, everything seemed great. We got along so well, we were so invested in getting to know one another and in spending time together.

However, as time has passed, I have noticed some strange behaviors on his behalf. For instance, he is super insecure because previous girlfriends have cheated on him. He is also very controlling and calls me up to 4 times a day. In the beginning, he also wanted me to send him pictures of places I went to, claiming he just wanted to see new places even if he wasn't with me in that moment.

We had our first argument about a month ago, and now it seems we can't stop disagreeing. To me it seems that no matter how much time, effort, attention, gifts, etc., I give him, he is constantly demanding more love. And when I don't give him his way, he gets angry and we just get into another argument. He claims that he feels unimportant and unloved when I don't cave in and let him have his way.

I believe that he has anxious/ insecure attachment style.

Will this be the doom of our relationship? Can I do anything to help without sacrificing my well-being/happiness in the process?

Thank you for reading.

Hopeful Dreamer.

Last edited by HopefulDreamer24; 12-15-2018 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 PM

15,054 posts, read 10,050,643 times
Do you refer to him as a boy?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:46 PM

605 posts, read 334,370 times
I noticed that too. Maybe it's the mother of this so called psych major who is actually writing this.

Not to be deceptive but just to show her daughter.

No matter what, coming here concerning relationships is never a good idea.

You're likely advice is from those who haven't been able to find "the one" as of yet with a rocky history behind them.

Sorta like taking advice from a fat lady on how to loose weight.

This "boy" does sound insecure though

Old 12-16-2018, 12:27 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,146,740 times
Yeah, it's like:

Red flag
Red flag
Red flag
Red flag
Red flag

"Do you think I should be concerned?"

Seriously?

Old 12-16-2018, 12:44 AM

61,455 posts, read 86,571,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Yeah, it's like:

Red flag
Red flag
Red flag
Red flag
Red flag

"Do you think I should be concerned?"

Seriously?
^^^ This!! Psychology major should know better...

Old 12-16-2018, 08:54 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,124,962 times
appeasement is relationship poison....clear the air use your words....

tell him to back off..and if he allows the clouds of the past to rain on you/both then that's his problem not yours...tell him to deal with it or we can just be friends..

Old 12-16-2018, 02:06 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,046,306 times
"However, as time has passed, I have noticed some strange behaviors on his behalf. For instance, he is super insecure because previous girlfriends have cheated on him. He is also very controlling and calls me up to 4 times a day. In the beginning, he also wanted me to send him pictures of places I went to, claiming he just wanted to see new places even if he wasn't with me in that moment. "

Calling you 4 times is controlling?? So you are a psych major that doesn't know how to rectify this behavior?

Old 12-16-2018, 02:28 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,319,259 times
It was all an act to get in the door and now you're seeing the true him.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:08 PM

102,140 posts, read 107,443,157 times
OP, tell him his demands (or the constant demanding of reassurance, in order for him to "feel loved") is unreasonable, a nd that he should get counseling. It's not normal to be that needy.

Also, in a very sympathetic, understanding tone, tell him he needs some professional help to recover from all the betrayals. It's not fair to you, for him to constantly dump that in your lap. He needs to heal from past experience, before he can have a successful relationship. THat's what all those issues are a symptom of: a lack of healing.

It's your choice, as to whether you want to wait around, for him to get the help he needs, or not. But if he's serious about recovering from those experiences, which seem like cumulatively, they were traumatic for him, it could be a matter of a few months of trauma therapy, if you can find someone who offers that. It means for him, getting all his grief, rage and abandonment worked out of his system with a skilled therapist. It would be like lifting a ton of weight off his shoulders.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2018, 05:49 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,611,557 times
I’d give it more time if I were you (maybe you to 6 months). Keep doing what you’re doing and hopefully he’ll see that there is nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships