Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 AM

651 posts, read 407,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'd define my attitude as, "only if he adds to my life", and I think that's healthy. Having my current friend an hour away isn't exactly convenient! (We alternate driving to each others' cities.)
Does this also include that you "add to HIS life", as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,341,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, it's kind of sad. We've gone from people that are anti-marriage, which I can't blame them, to anti-relationship or "I'll have a man/woman in my life, but only if it's convenient to me".

Google "Living together apart" and you'll see what I mean. Pretty sad.
To be honest, I'd be perfectly fine in a MARRIAGE where we had our separate spaces.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:30 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's kind of sad. We've gone from people that are anti-marriage, which I can't blame them, to anti-relationship or "I'll have a man/woman in my life, but only if it's convenient to me".

Add this to the long list of statements I have never once seen in countless thousands of profiles looked at.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:46 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
Does this also include that you "add to HIS life", as well?
Well, heck, yes! Otherwise I'd hope he'd find someone else who did add to his life.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:10 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Add this to the long list of statements I have never once seen in countless thousands of profiles looked at.
Of course no one is going to reveal this in their profile, this is something you have to see for yourself.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
To be honest, I'd be perfectly fine in a MARRIAGE where we had our separate spaces.
Agreed. That doesn't sound sad, it sounds ideal. ‾\_(ツ)_/‾

Old 12-19-2018, 09:17 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,701,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
... for most male loners a romantic partner is their ONE exception to their "I don't like people" mindset, on the flip side most of the few women that are loners also include potential romantic partners as people to avoid also.

Why is this?

This is just my opinion, nothing to back it up. Not scientific AT ALL.

But I think, overall, women don't need men in their lives as much as men need women/their brains are wired a little differently due to human history andit's influence on biology. I am not saying they don't love as much as the men do or they don't care, but I think that women are somehow able to cope and compartmentalize the loss of a mate or not having a mate better, out of necessity.

In the past/human history, men went off to hunt for weeks at a time and didn't come back or went off to war for months and years at a time and many did not come back/were never heard from again. A woman who was not well adapted to handle this kind of loss (who because depressed or suicidal) didn't thrive/her children didn't thrive and was selected against. Being able to cope with no mate is a survival mechanism that women needed that men didn't need as much.

Again, just my own theory based on personal experience and it could be total hogwash (so take with a heap of salt). But I've often wondered why it seemed like female friends (widowed or broken up relationships) as a group seemed to cope better with loss or breakup and not want someone else longer than male friends who seem to need someone in their lives.

Of course, that's just as groups. On an individual level, things are different and people, regardless of gender, have a wide range of tolerances, abilities to cope, etc. They are unique. Do not make the fallacy of comparing an individual to a group. Doesn't work.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:17 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Of course no one is going to reveal this in their profile, this is something you have to see for yourself.

So the quote, is in fact, not a quote at all, but a perception.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,714,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post

But I think, overall, women don't need men in their lives as much as men need women/their brains are wired a little differently due to human history andit's influence on biology. I am not saying they don't love as much as the men do or they don't care, but I think that women are somehow able to cope and compartmentalize the loss of a mate or not having a mate better, out of necessity.

In the past/human history, men went off to hunt for weeks at a time and didn't come back or went off to war for months and years at a time and many did not come back/were never heard from again. A woman who was not well adapted to handle this kind of loss (who because depressed or suicidal) didn't thrive/her children didn't thrive and was selected against. Being able to cope with no mate is a survival mechanism that women needed that men didn't need as much.

Again, just my own theory based on personal experience and it could be total hogwash (so take with a heap of salt). But I've often wondered why it seemed like female friends (widowed or broken up relationships) as a group seemed to cope better with loss or breakup and not want someone else longer than male friends who seem to need someone in their lives.

Of course, that's just as groups. On an individual level, things are different and people, regardless of gender, have a wide range of tolerances, abilities to cope, etc. They are unique. Do not make the fallacy of comparing an individual to a group. Doesn't work.
That's a good evolutionary psychological explanation for it. Women have a higher amount of parental investment towards their offspring, so that is where the priority goes to in terms of natural selection. At least, according to evolutionary psychologists.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:57 AM

880 posts, read 531,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post

We could also look at the old school gender roles, men depended on women for emotional support, raising kids, keeping a home etc etc.
Women relied on men for financial support, if they needed emotional support they weren't to burden their husbands with it, rather they talked to their families or other women. So women have evolved to have larger support networks, even loner women have their siblings and parents. Now that we can financially support ourselves there's less of a "need" for a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships