Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:56 PM

575 posts, read 339,237 times

Advertisements

Well, I always thought it works only the other way around. Apparently, the Sugar Momma Movement is gaining traction

I'm just not sure I would consider it sooner, than, say, Plan F. For that, Plan E, D, C, B would have to fail first. And there's always Plan A.

Wait, this still makes no sense. How on earth do they then make it through initial selection process ? I understand many people try to be nice, and would still sit through a disastrous first date.

But how do you get to second date in such predicament ? I'm trying to comprehend it, but my brain just freezes.

How do you start the conversation ? "Poor me, I got me no job, life's unfair" ? And somebody nods and takes the bait ? WTF ?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:09 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
I'm not sure I understand the sarcasm here

Wait, is that, like, a real thing ? Like, some woman, would actually take a jobless man in, so she isn't lonely ?!?!?!?
If only I were being sarcastic. Sadly, this sort of occurrence happens quite often, although the man is generally underemployed (by choice or circumstance) rather than jobless when the couple meets. One thing leads to another, he begins borrowing money/moves in with the woman, he loses his job and the next thing she knows, he either won't look for work or refuses available work due to a myriad of excuses. Because she "loves him!" and he's "so nice, so sweet" the woman puts up with this sort of behavior by day (and ******* about her man to friends, family, and strangers on social media by night).

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 01-28-2019 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 09:12 PM

151 posts, read 90,603 times
Quote:
Wait, this still makes no sense. How on earth do they then make it through initial selection process ? I understand many people try to be nice, and would still sit through a disastrous first date.

But how do you get to second date in such predicament ? I'm trying to comprehend it, but my brain just freezes.

How do you start the conversation ? "Poor me, I got me no job, life's unfair" ? And somebody nods and takes the bait ? WTF ?!?
My ex makes it out to be a temporary thing. He has all of these plans of how he is going to get going. And he has a job so it makes it easier to believe at first. But he has been in the same job (delivery guy) for more than 3 years.

When your choices are mostly players, married men, men as old as your father, or possibly not straight men, then this one looks okay.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toknow View Post
When your choices are mostly players, married men, men as old as your father, or possibly not straight men, then this one looks okay.
Well, that certainly puts things into a full perspective.

Kinda like the scenario above being a lesser evil than being alone ?

Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Well, I always thought it works only the other way around. Apparently, the Sugar Momma Movement is gaining traction

I'm just not sure I would consider it sooner, than, say, Plan F. For that, Plan E, D, C, B would have to fail first. And there's always Plan A.

Yup. Some people are "rescuers." It goes both ways, too, but it seems like more women like a sob story, want to be "needed"*, think they can "fix" or "save" someone. (And maybe some think a guy is like an old car, he can be a "fixer-upper" you can get for next-to-nothing and turn into something fabulous?) Or, perhaps they are desperate.

And, for some people of both sexes, yeah, they'd prefer to be with *anyone* than be alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
If only I were being sarcastic. Sadly, this sort of occurrence happens quite often, although the man is generally underemployed (by choice or circumstance) rather than jobless when the couple meets. One thing leads to another, he begins borrowing money/moves in with the woman, he loses his job and the next thing she knows, he either won't look for work or refuses available work due to a myriad of excuses. Because she "loves him!" and he's "so nice, so sweet" the woman puts up with this sort of behavior by day (and ******* about her man to friends, family, and strangers on social media by night).
Or, she puts up with it because she's encouraged to stay by others, to "stand by her man" and stick with him in bad times and "support" him and yada yada, or feels herself that she shouldn't "abandon him in his hour of need" or whatever. (Even worse if they're married as I'm sure the "for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer" bit is thrown up.)

Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toknow View Post
My ex makes it out to be a temporary thing. He has all of these plans of how he is going to get going. And he has a job so it makes it easier to believe at first. But he has been in the same job (delivery guy) for more than 3 years.

I would think that someone having only those choices would be wise to examine how that circumstance came about, and change something.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I would think that someone having only those choices would be wise to examine how that circumstance came about, and change something.

You and I would hope so, but LOOOADS of people fear to take necessary actions to change the dynamics. They come up with a litany of reasons why they can't.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:23 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Well, it's like I always say-- once you get to a certain age, most of the people who are still single are that way for a reason-- either because they don't want to get involved with anyone, or no one wants to get involved with them. Neither is a wise prospect. The "pickin's" get very slim eventually.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, it's like I always say-- once you get to a certain age, most of the people who are still single are that way for a reason-- either because they don't want to get involved with anyone, or no one wants to get involved with them. Neither is a wise prospect. The "pickin's" get very slim eventually.
I think I read in some other thread that the number of women after 40 with no kids is 14.4%. No idea on men percentage. And that obviously includes infertile and those who can't or won't ever attempt another pregnancy.
So, that trickles down to some 5%, and only then we can attempt to try to date and establish our own criteria for additional filtering. Not exactly great odds

Of course, the child criteria is just one of many, principle stays the same.

What I'm trying to say, is that I'm finally realizing that during those 2 decades that I was married, I also unbeknownst to me lost on best matches and, as you say, the pickings are getting slimmer with each passing year.

Kinda sobering thought

I still got my Husky, though...

Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Yup. Some people are "rescuers." It goes both ways, too, but it seems like more women like a sob story, want to be "needed"*, think they can "fix" or "save" someone. (And maybe some think a guy is like an old car, he can be a "fixer-upper" you can get for next-to-nothing and turn into something fabulous?) Or, perhaps they are desperate.

And, for some people of both sexes, yeah, they'd prefer to be with *anyone* than be alone...

Or, she puts up with it because she's encouraged to stay by others, to "stand by her man" and stick with him in bad times and "support" him and yada yada, or feels herself that she shouldn't "abandon him in his hour of need" or whatever. (Even worse if they're married as I'm sure the "for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer" bit is thrown up.)
Ok, I now understand the loneliness and .or desperation, as a reason. It's up to them to determine whether it's better to be alone or else.

But do you honestly believe there are people over 40 who genuinely believe they can actually change the other person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships