Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 09:56 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Maybe because it's not that easy to just end a marriage after 20 years. Lots of people stay in marriages they don't want to be in and far longer than they should because of the very same ideologies that fuel the judgment here.

Another consideration would be why one would make these promises when you can't guarantee that you'll be the same person in 20 years, let alone your spouse.

And "love, honor and cherish" goes both ways, doesn't it? Isn't that another way of saying don't neglect your spouse? He said he did it because it made him feel appreciated. She acknowledged her role in the demise of their marriage. So one can infer he felt neglected. She's just not going the distance wrt responsibility. She plays a role in the marriage ending but not his cheating? That's just not rational.
That's a hoot! Again, if he was feeling neglected get out and take it elsewhere. He could afford a side piece so there's no argument that he can't afford a divorce. FIVE kids? He was obviously keeping busy earlier in the marriage...if he was so unhappy he should have said no more kids....

BTW, where does your "progressive" attitude come from? Married? Divorced? Ever been in a long term relationship?

Old 12-31-2018, 09:57 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I read it. He cheated on her while they were still married, kinda the definition of cheating isn't it?
That was abundantly clear lol.

Quote:
Point is that if you are so unhappy with the marriage then end it BEFORE you move on to something else.
Quote:
Tell your partner that you're done and seeking companionship/sex elsewhere beforehand.
That would be ideal for her, wouldn't it? Why didn't she let him go if she couldn't fulfill her promise?

Quote:
Divorce can be complicated or difficult for various reasons, but that's not a legitimate excuse for having an affair and lying about it. I find that cowardly.
It appears he cheated because he was unfulfilled in his marriage, not because divorce is complicated/difficult.

Quote:
No one is driven to cheating.
Millions of people beg to differ.

Quote:
they have the option to choose to leave the situation before starting a new relationship.
Y'all keep arguing this like anyone has even suggested he had no other options lol.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:57 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

You're an editor with that lack of attention to detail?
So you can't just disagree without resorting to personal attacks?

Quote:

No it's not lol.
Yes, it is. Commitment is choosing to be faithful to the person. Every day. Forsaking all others.

Quote:

They also promise to love, honor and cherish until death.
If your spouse isn't doing that, s/he is violating the marriage vows, and you fix it. Or you end it.

Quote:

That's pretty much the same thing lol. If you don't maintain it, you lose it.
Maintaining it means you had it from the beginning. Earning it means you don't even get it till you pass whatever test is in front of you.

That's not the same thing.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:01 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Nope.

If you want to sleep with other people, get a divorce first. Placing blame serves no purpose, and if you are fooling around, you cannot be working on your marriage in good faith.

It's really simple.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-31-2018, 10:02 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Maybe because it's not that easy to just end a marriage after 20 years. Lots of people stay in marriages they don't want to be in and far longer than they should because of the very same ideologies that fuel the judgment here.

Another consideration would be why one would make these promises when you can't guarantee that you'll be the same person in 20 years, let alone your spouse.

And "love, honor and cherish" goes both ways, doesn't it? Isn't that another way of saying don't neglect your spouse? He said he did it because it made him feel appreciated. She acknowledged her role in the demise of their marriage. So one can infer he felt neglected. She's just not going the distance wrt responsibility. She plays a role in the marriage ending but not his cheating? That's just not rational.
Sure, both parties play a role in a marriage that's failing or ending. But when there's infidelity on one person's part, that's a choice. Both people are in the same marriage, but only one person has chosen to cheat. Same marriage, different choices.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:03 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
I'm someone who has a somewhat understanding take on why people cheat. Leaving isn't always the black or white issue it's portrayed to be by people who want to stone people who cheat. Having said that, I fully understand why people end marriages or LTRs when cheating occurs. I'm saying I get that it happens and why, not that I condone it.

So having said that, the person who cheats is responsible for the cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
He could afford a side piece so there's no argument that he can't afford a divorce.
Who argued this?

Quote:
FIVE kids? He was obviously keeping busy earlier in the marriage...if he was so unhappy he should have said no more kids....
Read the article and get your timeline straight.

Quote:
BTW, where does your "progressive" attitude come from?
Not having my head up my azz.

Quote:
Married? Divorced? Ever been in a long term relationship?
Irrelevant.

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nope.

If you want to sleep with other people, get a divorce first. Placing blame serves no purpose, and if you are fooling around, you cannot be working on your marriage in good faith.

It's really simple.

Get a divorce, or negotiate consensual non-monogamy.

Cheating is not ok. No one is "driven" to cheat, except by their own internal drive to be scummy.

Quote:
Irrelevant.
Quite relevant if you're discussing how relationships work. Or should work. Or how emotions work.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Sure, both parties play a role in a marriage that's failing or ending. But when there's infidelity on one person's part, that's a choice. Both people are in the same marriage, but only one person has chosen to cheat. Same marriage, different choices.
We're really not debating whether or not it was a choice. No one is saying he was *forced* to cheat. The issue is why he cheated, and a lot of folks are sure invested in the emotional explanation vs reality.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:07 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Get a divorce, or negotiate consensual non-monogamy.

Cheating is not ok. No one is "driven" to cheat, except by their own internal drive to be scummy.

Quite relevant if you're discussing how relationships work. Or should work. Or how emotions work.
I didn't think of that, and agree. Probably can add get a separation too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships