Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 01:00 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, we need more information about these rumored "dates".
I disagree. OP is not asking us to analyze if the 2 “dates” would actually be considered dates. Even if they were real dates, she’s not interested in continuing to “date” him. The question is how to tell him that she’s not interested in dating him.

OP - you’re just going to have to be frank with him “Please stop telling people we’re dating. We are not dating and I’m not interested in a relationship other than friendship.”

It is probably going to sting a little bit but he’ll get over it soon enough. And it will likely change your friendship because he’s been pursuing you and now he’s going to turn his attention elsewhere. That’s just how it is. But you need to tell him sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 02:28 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, we need more information about these rumored "dates".
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I disagree. OP is not asking us to analyze if the 2 “dates” would actually be considered dates. Even if they were real dates, she’s not interested in continuing to “date” him. The question is how to tell him that she’s not interested in dating him.
The OP said "I haven’t done anything to lead him on", so it absolutely does matter what went down on those dates.

And knowing the background info will make it easier to offer her solid advice.

It should also be pointed out that she's well aware of what she needs to do. She wants to know how to do it without hurting him or having it affect their friendship. (Frankly, I'm not sure if that's possible.)

Old 01-06-2019, 02:33 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Tia, you need to let him know at your earliest convenience. Lotsa nut jobs out there in the real world and he might be one of them possessive types of he's latched onto you so quickly. Speak your mind and voice yourself.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:37 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
How do you know he tells his parents and everyone you’re “dating”?
If he does this in front of you, correct him, politely: “We’re just friends.”
I didn’t read anywhere that he asked if you two were exclusive, that’s really presumptuous. It might be simple enough to just not go on any more dates with him, until he figures it out —or comes right out and asks you. Then be honest and tell him: “I didn’t consider us to be dating, sorry.”

Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 AM

78 posts, read 38,155 times
Have you two dirtied the sheets?

Old 01-07-2019, 11:10 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
This is one of the reasons it's better to avoid dating people you work with.

Things can get awkward.

There is no way to spare him a some pain/embarrassment here. I would say just try to be as pleasant as can be.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbella View Post
this guy from my work started talking to me (mostly over text) a couple months ago & we’ve been on 2 “dates” & now he thinks we’re in a committed relationship. I haven’t done anything to lead him on, but I assume I’ve been a bit too nice to the point where he thinks I like him back. I’m fine w/being friends but I do not want a relationship w/him. I know that he tells people (including his parents) that we’re dating & I feel like **** knowing that I don’t have the same feelings for him. I’m not sure how to politely tell him that we’re not dating/committed/etc. w/out hurting him & I really don’t want this to cause problems between us. What should I do?
TIA
What do "dates" mean?

Sounds like a stage 5 clinger, based on what you said after that statement, and it would be wise to clear it up soon. You shouldn't feel badly about not being attracted to him.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
men are like dogs.... don't take much to wag our tails or want to hump your leg...

if you agreed to go on two dates.... then its on you....if you go on one date ...out of friendship even pity...that's one thing but going on two..... he's going to want to plan a weekend on a third date.

if you don't want him...then you need to set the record straight....its a dangerous game to act flirty and go on dates then wonder why does he like me??????
this is on you...not him...

Old 01-07-2019, 04:42 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Tell him right away. He’s not going to be happy as he thinks he’s in the sex zone, not the friend zone. And even that seems iffy. It sounds as if you don’t really even want to be friends with him so don’t understand how it got this far. In any event once he knows where he stands he’s probably not going to want friendship anyway.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Tell him right away. He’s not going to be happy as he thinks he’s in the sex zone, not the friend zone. And even that seems iffy. It sounds as if you don’t really even want to be friends with him so don’t understand how it got this far. In any event once he knows where he stands he’s probably not going to want friendship anyway.
We don't really know how far "this far" is. Maybe they went to lunch together at work, and he considers that a date, but she doesn't. Maybe he considers the office Christmas party, or a night bowling on the company team, to be date #2. We have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships