Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 06:17 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times

Advertisements

So what age do you think adults should live on their own, meaning no roommates? If the person owns the property I think it's okay for him/her to rent out part of the area since they are acting as the landlord.

Of course this is your own opinion. Not making fun of anyone living with roommates or in the basement of their parents. IMO I think an adult should be entirely on their own by 35.

I put this in the relationship thread because not everyone wants to date someone who lives with other people.

Last edited by Stockyman; 01-15-2019 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:23 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
My opinion is everybody is different. I have friends who have never lived alone at all. They went from their parent's house to getting married and moving in with their husband.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:44 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Whenever they have enough money to do so.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:57 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
As someone that was in my own at 18, put myself through college, and bought my first house when I was 21, I can't imagine someone not being self sufficient by mid twenties. I can't imagine not being highly motivated to be roommate free. I am not saying there might not be special circumstances.... obviously some areas of study take longer than others. But 35 is pretty much middle age. Seems like it would be embarrassing to have roommates.

My niece at 32 yrs has her 4 bedroom house paid for and owns a rental. She is working and going to grad school. She has no roommates, although she is thinking about having children soon, so I expect she may marry her BF who has his own home. Some people are more ambitious than others. She's a planner. I have some other relatives that have dug themselves holes that no number of roommates could get them out of.

In some areas the COL is higher than others. There are variables. Being willing to sacrifice some immediate wants for future gain is one of them. Being willing to move. Considering how long it takes some people to leave the comforts of mom and dad, they should be able to amass a good deal of cash.

I can understand that if someone owns a home that they can cut their expenses by having a roommate and perhaps privacy isn't that important to them. I think it would work better if the house was set up for dual living. Having been a landlord, I feel tenants are enough of a nuisance without having them in the same house.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what anyone besides yourself thinks about your living situation. Will you be judged? Sure. But as long as you are happy with the situation it doesn't matter.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:10 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I don't think that there is a particular hard and fast rule for this because it is going to depend upon the individual and the lifestyle/values that he or she finds important. It also depends on what the home life is like, career, and so on.

I know of some people who are happy to room with others into their 30s, 40s and have no interest in the traditional settling down/getting married. I also know some who are willing to share housing to live in a larger and higher COL city--neither one of those is for me but it's not for me to judge. They probably think I'm crazy for insisting on owning a car and living in the 'snow belt' but it is what works for me.

When we were first starting out we had a duplex so had the best of both worlds; someone to share costs but some privacy. We have friends who do this as well of various ages.

I was ready to be on my own at 18 but everyone is totally different. I don't judge and if someone is happy with their lifestyle, then more power to them.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
When they can afford it.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:50 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
By the time you approach your upper 20’s.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
I don't think you definitely have to live on your own at any age.. especially in bigger cities. If you just have a regular job and rent is at minimum $1,500 to $2,000 a month, it can be stressful to live like that. Why not just get a roommate to cut your rent in half so you have money for other things?

Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When they can afford it.
This.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
So what age do you think adults should live on their own, meaning no roommates?
Why should I care or judge others how they live their life??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships