Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 PM

19 posts, read 6,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, you have been together for an over decade now, so maybe they are just frustrated with the lack of marriage, living in a "sin", religious differences and/or perhaps they don't view you as a desirable prospect. Some Jewish people can be very traditional and conservative. Did you discussed religious matters with your GF?
Obviously they don't respect you much or accept you as a future family member.

Their behavior could be a way they think will discourage you from marry your GF.
Hey Elnina, they are Jewish by heritage but not so much religion. They are not too intense in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
Do you and the gf have the option of moving away? keeping family interactions to a minimum? If i was in your situation i would leave, I would not want future children to grow up in that kind of family, I could see them rough housing with your sons and continuing to belittle you in front of them.
Elly thanks for reading and responding.

Yes, I do have the ability to do that, but at the same time, all my family is in this town also and I don't want to leave like that.

The thought about my future kids is what really got me thinking about it. Will they mess with them, will they try to make me appear weak in their eyes, will they use the kids as leverage? Most likely considering current course.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Get out before these freak shows seriously hurt you while your girlfriend stands by watching it happen.

Thanks for responding and reading Jrz. This pretty much sums up my current situation.

Last edited by MikeAnonymous; 01-21-2019 at 10:43 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 AM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Who knows. If you actually DO leave and tell her why, it might be the wake up call she needs. She can't have it both ways...stand up to the abusive family or lose her partner.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Run away now, you don’t just marry her your marry into her whole family and all the problems/drama that come with it. Don’t fall into the trap.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 AM

880 posts, read 531,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAnonymous View Post
Elly thanks for reading and responding.

Yes, I do have the ability to do that, but at the same time, all my family is in this town also and I don't want to leave like that.

The thought about my future kids is what really got me thinking about it. Will they mess with them, will they try to make me appear weak in their eyes, will they use the kids as leverage? Most likely considering current course.
So even if you did break up, would you still see the family around town? I guess in that instance you can press charges.

The future kids would be a huge concern for me, they already don't respect you, what makes you think they will change in front of your kids. Kids mimic what is around them. My in-laws used to disregard my parenting style, when my kids were young they felt like they didn't have to listen to me either, i ended up having to be a lot stricter just to undo what they allowed, i don't think it was fair to them but i didn't want to raise spoiled brats.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
If family is important to you this isn’t the girl for you.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
So even if you did break up, would you still see the family around town? I guess in that instance you can press charges.

The future kids would be a huge concern for me, they already don't respect you, what makes you think they will change in front of your kids. Kids mimic what is around them. My in-laws used to disregard my parenting style, when my kids were young they felt like they didn't have to listen to me either, i ended up having to be a lot stricter just to undo what they allowed, i don't think it was fair to them but i didn't want to raise spoiled brats.
Yes to question one. Yeah, exactly to point number 2. This is my primary concern. Because right now I've limited seeing them to 2 times a year. I'm trying to whittle it down to 1 time a year, but if we have kids, they are going to force themselves into our lives.

I simply can't take it.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
If family is important to you this isn’t the girl for you.
Family is not important to me. I think it's important to her.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAnonymous View Post
Family is not important to me. I think it's important to her.
The point is, you said...…
"My girlfriend isn't being very supportive. She doesn't really take up for me or set boundaries."
Isn't that telling you that family isn't just important to her, but more important than you?

If, and it shouldn't ever have to happen, but it does, you make her choose, which do you think she'd give up on? The family or you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships