Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 05:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,461 times

Advertisements

Sure, why not?

Lots of people complain about not meeting anyone but aren’t willing for whatever reason to put themselves out there. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
There is no such thing is "doing OLD right", there's no right or wrong way of doing it. There are too many moving parts and variables to consider. There's no end-all, be-all solution to this, with likely the exception of going out and meeting women in public where you can use your personality, charm, humor, or whatever, to demonstrate your personality..

This isn't an exception. One can use their words to do the exact same thing.

Quote:
A computer is too limiting and actually takes the enjoyment and fun out of getting to know someone..

No it doesn't. The computer just facilitates the first meeting. That's it. Then its like every other connection. And getting to know someone a little before the meeting through writing is enjoyable in its own right.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:50 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This isn't an exception. One can use their words to do the exact same thing.
You're 100% wrong. It's obvious that type written words aren't enough and conveying your personality in person via inflection, body language, voice tone, humor, etc. are BIG players in determining attraction. They are a big key to this and with online dating, a lot of that is taken away.

I think I may have even shared some time back about a man who was ignored online by a woman, that he bumped to in person at an event, turned on the charm and they became a couple. He mentioned to her that he DID in fact email on the dating site, and she goes, "Wow, had I known what you were like, I would've responded"

So proof positive right there.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
You're 100% wrong. It's obvious that type written words aren't enough and conveying your personality in person via inflection, body language, voice tone, humor, etc. are BIG players in deter mining attraction. They are a big key to this and with online dating, a lot of that is taken away..

Hey, just because you're not capable of writing a profile that conveys your personality and humor (if you have them) doesn't mean the rest of us can't. Plenty of people can, they meet and state, 'you're exactly what I expected from your profile'. Do you ever read (anything except stories about OLD sucking)? Written words can have personality, warmth, humor, tone, etc. All the things you listed above can be done via the written word as well, except body language.

The written word with OLD is jut to set up the first meeting. That's it. My partner and I would NEVER have met if it wasn't for OLD, we just wouldn't. LOOOOOAAADS of people can say the same thing; most couples I know would say just that.

Quote:
I think I may have even shared some time back about a man who was ignored online by a woman, that he bumped to in person at an event, turned on the charm and they became a couple. He mentioned to her that he DID in fact email on the dating site, and she goes, "Wow, had I known what you were like, I would've responded"

So proof positive right there.

No, just another third person story you heard/read, which in fact, even if true, means absolutely nothing since that interaction could and does go both ways. There are people that may have had a better chance meeting in person, and people that have a better chance meeting online.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Hey, just because you're not capable of writing a profile that conveys your personality and humor (if you have them) doesn't mean the rest of us can't. Plenty of people can, they meet and state, 'you're exactly what I expected from your profile'. Do you ever read (anything except stories about OLD sucking)? Written words can have personality, warmth, humor, tone, etc. All the things you listed above can be done via the written word as well, except body language.
Again you are wrong. I've done a very well crafted up profile and even an initial email that is crafted to whatever they had written in their profile and expounded upon that. So don't call me incapable. I'm far from it. I have gotten a handful of responsive, where they were very impressed with what I've written, but got the, "Sorry, but I don't think we would make a good match" or more bluntly, "I just don't find myself attracted" meaning physically. Some have expressed a height criteria they won't budge on or a full head of hair.

Other woman that had responded and engaged me in actual dialogue, I would found out they were just looking for an ego boost or attention a texting buddy if you will. They'd ghost once I'd mention meeting up.

So there's that to deal with if they DO respond and fake an interest. I'd actually eventually get 2 or 3 women to meet up with me in the course of a year. So those would be my success stories...to even get them to meet.

Quote:
No, just another third person story you heard/read, which in fact, even if true, means absolutely nothing since that interaction could and does go both ways. There are people that may have had a better chance meeting in person, and people that have a better chance meeting online.
True, but online dating there is much less success because of a woman with a filled inbox has many choices and you are but a number.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Again you are wrong. I've done a very well crafted up profile and even an initial email that is crafted to whatever they had written in their profile and expounded upon that. So don't call me incapable. I'm far from it. I have gotten a handful of responsive, where they were very impressed with what I've written, but got the, "Sorry, but I don't think we would make a good match" or more bluntly, "I just don't find myself attracted" meaning physically. Some have expressed a height criteria they won't budge on or a full head of hair.

Ok, well, if your inability to understand what I wrote is an indication of your writing, then no, I'm not wrong and you're proving my point. I never said anything about "well crafted". I'm sure your written English is just fine, but that's not what I'm talking about at all, if you actually read what I wrote or understood it, which you seem incapable of as well.

Quote:
Other woman that had responded and engaged me in actual dialogue, I would found out they were just looking for an ego boost or attention a texting buddy if you will. They'd ghost once I'd mention meeting up..
Because you aren't what they are looking for and time and time again you show no respect for other people's boundaries. It's scary how much you disrespect women's feelings and opinions. Thread after thread you indicate this with your statements along the lines of - 'If they met me in person, I'm sure we would have had a date' or 'I read her profile and we were a good match' (rough paraphrasing of sentiments you repeat often). I have zero doubt that your profile and communications are "well crafted" but lack energy and personality.

Quote:
So there's that to deal with if they DO respond and fake an interest. I'd actually eventually get 2 or 3 women to meet up with me in the course of a year. So those would be my success stories...to even get them to meet...

LOL.

Quote:
True, but online dating there is much less success because of a woman with a filled inbox has many choices and you are but a number.

You may be. I am not.

Quote:
Let's just agree to disagree.

No. Can't do that when you're speaking for yourself really and then trying to say it is the same for everyone.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:15 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
One doesn’t need to “craft anything up”, just as they don’t craft up a personality IRL to meet people.

I just replied to someone who left me a message weeks ago. After I read his profile, I was more interested. When I looked at the rest of his pictures, I wanted to meet him. I started out with: “Sorry I missed your message. You and your dogs are adorable. I have a busy day, can we chat later?”

Had I seen him at a mixer and weeks later remembered and thought I should have tried to meet him, then what? The opportunity is already over.

And— he replied positively, not with some attitude of having been rejected or forgotten. There was nothing unique about his wording or pictures, just unique to me, what I would find attractive.

Relax. Quit honing your craft.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Relax. Quit honing your craft.

Exactly. This isn't a craft, it isn't "game", its nothing like that if a person is trying to make genuine connections with individuals (not with women in general).

Old 01-31-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Exactly. This isn't a craft, it isn't "game", its nothing like that if a person is trying to make genuine connections with individuals (not with women in general).
Why should I "quit honing my craft" when a major reason some women get frustrated with online dating is the the fact they complain constantly about how they only get "Hey" or "Hi" or "Hey sexy" emails (I see the complaints right in their profile) and that's it? If anything I'm probably it makes me stand out better among the uneducated and articulated. In fact, I hear women say, "Please say more than just "hi" or "hey" in your email and show me that you can put together a proper sentence by demonstrating a halfway decent email".

Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Why should I "quit honing my craft" when a major reason some women get frustrated with online dating is the the fact they complain constantly about how they only get "Hey" or "Hi" or "Hey sexy" emails (I see the complaints right in their profile) and that's it? If anything I'm probably it makes me stand out better among the uneducated and articulated. In fact, I hear women say, "Please say more than just "hi" or "hey" in your email and show me that you can put together a proper sentence by demonstrating a halfway decent email".

And once again you completely miss the point, which I've tried to get across time and time again with a multitude of posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships