Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, this is a new one to me, a straight guy trolling for straight chicks at a gay pride festival. Good luck with that one.

Sounds like a bit you'd see on SNL

It is, sadly, not that new. Been going on since the 90s at least. Plenty of straight women started frequenting gay clubs to dance in the belief and hopes that they wouldn't be harassed / macked on all the time... then straight guys picked up on it and followed along.

Of course, sexual orientation and actions are synonymous and homosexuals will have sex with the opposite sex (few gold stars out there), but that's something way too complex for CDR discussions, it seems.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I've been in Utah County for the last 8 years, where it's customary to marry young and those who are LDS (which is 90% of the population) don't date outside of their religion. It seems exceedingly unlikely that I'll meet anyone while I'm here. Heck, even finding platonic friends is really difficult (man, what I wouldn't give for just a hiking buddy...).

Actually that's a benefit, if the population is 90% Mormons that most of whom don't date or marry non-Mormons, that means 10% of the population (which I'll bet is more women than men) don't have alot of options. you just gotta let it be known your not a Mormon in a tasteful way. Like in the religion section choose "Not religious" or "atheist" because anytime you are in a super religious area where most people are the same thing there are going to be women trying to escape that.

So odds are most non-Mormons are going to fall into 2 camps, transplants like yourself(50/50 male&female) and former Mormons who either left the church or were kicked out(mostly women(who left the church) and gay men(forced or kicked out)). I used to date a former Mormon, out of 7 siblings only 2 aren't Mormon anymore, her and her youngest (gay) brother, the rest are still active in the church(at least 10 years ago when i was dating her).

Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is, sadly, not that new. Been going on since the 90s at least. Plenty of straight women started frequenting gay clubs to dance in the belief and hopes that they wouldn't be harassed / macked on all the time... then straight guys picked up on it and followed along.

Straight guys troll lesbian venues. Mono guys troll poly/swinging venues. Lots of guys are just dicks.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap to my face View Post
Yeah, but most of the time the guy with no relationship experience will be looked down on.
Then they aren't the right person and you wouldn't want to date them anyways.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, I could never figure out the whole "I buried themselves in their books in college, NO TIME FOR DATING!" when college was THE cornucopia of the main means to find your first spouse. And the amount of dating done in college, you had your pick of the plentiful options. No online crap either. People take breaks from studying to date and have a social life, so it's just an excuse. I've done it in college as well. I buried my nose in my books LONG enough to get good grades.

Simply put...you can do both. Believe you me, if said student was attractive enough, turned them on, etc., they'd drop their books for a couple of hours to go out with someone. I bet a MAJOR selling point would be if the man who approaches this lady student was in the SAME field....you'll hear music. ;-)
I gotta disagree with you.

I was a nursing student before I became an RN and no way I could juggle dating along with studying and school.

I didn't get married until afterwards. Everyone moves at their own pace.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:45 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
I wouldn't go out with a guy in their 40's who has never been in a relationship before.There must be a reason that he's never been in one and once you find out that 'reason'...it will probably be something very serious....and not something that you would want in your life.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:35 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
I wouldn't go out with a guy in their 40's who has never been in a relationship before.There must be a reason that he's never been in one and once you find out that 'reason'...it will probably be something very serious....and not something that you would want in your life.

Or he could have just enjoyed being single until one day he did not.

I know a few artistic types who were that way, having fun and getting laid until he reaches the age where being a starving artist is no longer viewed as sexy to women, then they want to find someone to settle down with.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Yeah, I suspect this is not some playboy situation. But OP never returned to fill in the blanks.

I agree with codergirl. There must be a reason he has never been in a relationship by 40 if he wanted to be. Whatever the problem, he's sure not interested in fixing it. Or, worse, it can't be fixed.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:36 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yeah, I suspect this is not some playboy situation. But OP never returned to fill in the blanks.

I agree with codergirl. There must be a reason he has never been in a relationship by 40 if he wanted to be. Whatever the problem, he's sure not interested in fixing it. Or, worse, it can't be fixed.
This assumes that he or she knows what the problem is.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:20 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Why not try to figure it out? Jeez. Passivity is an issue too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships