Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I haven't seen anyone offer that "the one" will stop you from thinking about another.
I don't see the point in trying to control the thoughts. They are totally normal. It is actions on which character is based.

Quote:
I think people are making their points based on the OP's title and glossing over the parts where he says he cannot control the thoughts he's having.

This isn't about typical sexual guilt, and it goes beyond being a typical "red-blooded" male.

It's about compulsion, which isn't at all typical or desirable.
That's nuts. There is absolutely nothing abnormal about looking and thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 02:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That's nuts. There is absolutely nothing abnormal about looking and thinking.
You’re right.

Doing it ALL the time, WHICH IS WHAT THE OP SAID, is absolutely not normal.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
You’re right.

Yah. It is. It seems this is often particularly true for men. Thinking/wondering.... is totally normal.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Yah. It is. It seems this is often particularly true for men. Thinking/wondering.... is totally normal.
It’s normal for women too.

Being unable to stop is what isn’t normal. There are entire specialties of psychology devoted to it.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:54 PM

818 posts, read 456,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
Problem is I want kids, I want a family (when the time is right obviously).

l was the worst dog l knew when l was younger but when the right girl comes along it helps a lot. lf your content and happy with her .
50s now and it's mostly faded away because not only am l sick of most women but most don't look anywhere near as good as they use to these days so the temptations are less and less.
So there ya go , 20 or 30yrs time you'll be fine.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:55 PM

48 posts, read 79,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong... you are just being human. That's not going to change... period.. it may just wane down but many will always find others attractive.

The key here is what do you do with that attraction.... just like love... you don't get to choose. But you certainly get to choose what you do with it. Monogamy and such is a social construct. You have to find someone so important to you that the feeling of loss or hurting that person far outweighs your curiosity for other women... accept it and have self control.

This is on point! You can always look at the menu. Hell, you can even fantasize about what the entrees on the menu taste like! Just make sure you don't order off the menu and make sure you're happy with what you ordered when you do!

Anyone that says they don't look at the entrees on the menu every so often is most likely a liar.

I think it's normal and human to look.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:02 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
You’re right.

Not to be argumentative...

But

The OP didn't say he wasn't able to stop or doing it "ALL" the time. He prefaced with "Everytime I go out or go on vacation". I'd be concerned if he was at the office or similar and couldn't function because of the thoughts.... or if it drives him to do inappropriate things like masturbating in public.

Walk around on a nice warm day.... I bet for every skimpy wearing woman that is strolling down the street, there are dozens of men wondering "What if????" More if it is the beach.... where even less clothing is worn.

Some of the most abusive men I've crossed paths with have very shameful/self deprecating/suppressed views on sexuality....

Old 02-12-2019, 03:06 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
How old are you OP?
Things like what you describe clam themselves with age.
You need to elaborate on what you meant about “wanting children” and where that fear coming from.
The relationships you make and hold define how bad or good your choices are within them, not the choices themselves. If monogamy isn't something you’re comfortable with do not seek out relationships with those who define theirs by it.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:18 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
You need to elaborate on what you meant about “wanting children” and where that fear coming from.
Just clarifying before someone reads this wrong...

OP wants a family with children. Not that he has a sexual desire for children.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Just clarifying before someone reads this wrong...

OP wants a family with children. Not that he has a sexual desire for children.
Lol, yes.
I do not mean the OP desires romance from children.
It was towards his fear and trepidation surrounding his desire to have them while also wanting relationships with others.
I’m curious as to what is driving this fear for him.
I only brought up age because the way the OP described his thoughts it came off as a very young person who has yet to have really formed an identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships