U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM

7 posts, read 8,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well... don't let him guilt you on his decision to quit his placement. Maybe he can talk to one of his old advisors and get back on his academic track again.

How old are the two of you?
We both are 22.

He ditched his placement year in the UK. Still, has a bachelor's degree. But not the right job. Earlier, I always attributed this abuse, swear-words to his frustration. But am I not finding excuses for him??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:46 PM

7,088 posts, read 11,913,140 times
Guilt is what he uses to control you.
It sounds like you know that now but want other opinions so my opinion is to run from this guy the other way as fast as you can.
You're 22, young and just starting out with relationships. Remember the saying, you've go to kiss a lot of frogs before finding your prince? It's true but never ever feel guilty of letting go of a jerk. You'll be better off in the long run, feeling a little guilty or sad but better to feel like that for awhile than go through a lifetime with someone like this guy.
There are a lot of nice guys in the world and they're waiting for a nice gal to come along. Don't make the mistake some of us 'older' ladies have made (either now or in the past) I was in that situation in my early 20's. Learn from it now.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM

598 posts, read 1,364,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi View Post
Really? Reading this made me cry. I said before; And I believe in it: I don't think good guy exists. I'm scared of taking calls from the only one I thought was good.

Still, God bless you.

Gemi - yep, really hon. My husband has never once made me afraid, threatened to hurt me, hit me, tried to control me.

Good guys ARE out there. A lot of times women choose guys like this because they need to work on some stuff with themselves. A good counselor can be a wonderful way to look at life in a better way, and to choose better people.

I would suggest making a appointment with someone who can help you with this situation AND help you not to make the same mistake twice.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,615,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi View Post
Just yesterday night, I scrapped back a guy on orkut.
OK, could someone please interpret this for me: what does "scrapped back a guy on orkut" mean?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:29 PM

12,130 posts, read 12,615,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
OK, could someone please interpret this for me: what does "scrapped back a guy on orkut" mean?
I don't know. It sounds like something out of A Clockwork Orange.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 PM

549 posts, read 1,215,428 times
Is it really that hard to leave someone? Especially if it's an abusive relationship? Especially if the person knows he/she is being abused?

Married folks with kids leave an abusive relationship. I'm sure you can manage.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,615,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
...It sounds like something out of A Clockwork Orange
Please! Don't play Beethoven's Ninth!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 PM

598 posts, read 1,364,171 times
Oh yes, it's hard for several reasons.

1) women who pick men like this typically have a lot of problems they need work on. Especially (and I hate this term but bear with me) self-esteem, and co-dependence.

2) These guys are very very slick. They know just what to say to keep these women. Some examples might be:
* "Just stay tonight, I need you, I'm going to hurt myself <pulls out knife>"
* saying the woman's worse fear about herself (you're a bad mother/will be alone, etc)
* "I'm an alcoholic" (to the woman who thinks he hits her b/c he's an alcoholic)
* "I'm going to marry you and we're going to have a baby" (to the woman who grew up without a father, fantasizing about her wedding day)

3) he's not abusive all the time. It's hard to think of him as a "bad guy" They blame his bad childhood, think that's not the "real" him (of course, both sides are real).

4) Deep down, the women love them, and want to believe that he'll change. And he does. For awhile...

You're right though, throw marriage and kids in the mix - it's even worse

Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 PM

42,844 posts, read 54,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlchick View Post
3) he's not abusive all the time. It's hard to think of him as a "bad guy" They blame his bad childhood, think that's not the "real" him (of course, both sides are real).
You're right - intermittent reinforcement IS hideous.

UNDERSTANDING STAY/LEAVE DECISIONS IN VIOLENT RELATIONSHIPS: A BEHAVIOR ANALYTIC APPROACH | Behavior and Social Issues | Find Articles at BNET.com - heavier material

Why You're Still Dating That Jerk(ette)! > Dating > Stories > Denver > YourHub.com (http://denver.yourhub.com/Denver/Stories/Connections/Dating/Story~260857.aspx - broken link) - light material

Many experiments have been done proving this theory. Here's my short version of the chicken experiment. Two chickens peck, but one is given a pellet every time it pecks, while the other is given a pellet every 5th time, let's say. After a while, no more pellets are given to both of them. The first chicken (the one used to getting them every time) pecks once or twice, gives up, and walks away. However, the 2nd chicken keeps pecking in frustration...

Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 PM

25,170 posts, read 34,064,195 times
do people not have discussions about these matters when they are in those types of relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You're right - intermittent reinforcement IS hideous.

UNDERSTANDING STAY/LEAVE DECISIONS IN VIOLENT RELATIONSHIPS: A BEHAVIOR ANALYTIC APPROACH | Behavior and Social Issues | Find Articles at BNET.com - heavier material

Why You're Still Dating That Jerk(ette)! > Dating > Stories > Denver > YourHub.com (http://denver.yourhub.com/Denver/Stories/Connections/Dating/Story~260857.aspx - broken link) - light material

Many experiments have been done proving this theory. Here's my short version of the chicken experiment. Two chickens peck, but one is given a pellet every time it pecks, while the other is given a pellet every 5th time, let's say. After a while, no more pellets are given to both of them. The first chicken (the one used to getting them every time) pecks once or twice, gives up, and walks away. However, the 2nd chicken keeps pecking in frustration...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships